Gibson Brands Forums

Assembling a Guitar?

Silenced Fred

The resale value ain't...

You can part out a Fender and get your money back.

Same with Warmoth and some other parts if you play your cards right.

Factory Carvins have d!ck for resale value anyway, what's a kit?

Might be fun, might work fine, but you own it forever.

Wanna go cheap, buy sh!tty Chinese Squire parts.

Still probably money ahead.....

How hard it is?

Depends. Are you making the body and neck from scratch?

If so, you are in for a long unpleasant trip. When you arrive to WallyWorld, it might be closed for the weekend.

If you are buying neck and body from warmoth or the like, well that's a completely different story.

Buy the neck.

Trust me.

Build all the bodies you want' date=' but I've yet to see a home made neck that wasn't embarrassing to look at.

Of course, RS is probably a lot smarter than I am....

[biggrin

Don't know yet just put in the truss rod and now have the fretboard on, bound and in the clamps hopefully won't be too embarrassing I'll let you know in a few days. [cool]

neckpic.jpg

Nope - Standard Telecaster neck for this one. On acoustic guitars I usually use a headstock angle of 11 degree's copying what Martin did rather than Gibson's more extreme 14 degree's.

Sorry didn't see the earlier questions about tools I only build a couple of guitars a year mostly acoustic's so no CNC machine at least not yet [biggrin] I use basic shop tools a bandsaw, a router table with some custom jigs for binding, drill press, disk/belt sander, hand-tools like palm planes, chisels and scrapers and a boatload of sand paper.

Here's is the pretty wood side on my last couple acoustic builds

Koa

koa02.jpg

Cocobolo

IMG_1111.jpg

Here's what I am thinking, my original post, but with some changes:

Warmoth Body

Warmoth Neck

Seymour Duncan pre wired pickguard with Antiquities

Callaham Trem

Schaller Locking Tuners

Schaller Strap Locks

It will amount to about 1200 with all of my features, to get what I want from Fender, it would probably be double that.

Neo- It still won't have Fender on it, anywhere! I'm still trying to think of something cool to put on it, but I still have a little time.

dem00n- The whole point isn't to 'build' a guitar, if I wanted to do that, I would get a kit, but I want a spectacular guitar with all of my own features in it. This does that. From what I heard about from TGod, custom (and I don't mean standard custom shop work) but fully custom with everything chosen by you, is the way to go.

Nope - Standard Telecaster neck for this one. On acoustic guitars I usually use a headstock angle of 11 degree's copying what Martin did rather than Gibson's more extreme 14 degree's.

Sorry didn't see the earlier questions about tools I only build a couple of guitars a year mostly acoustic's so no CNC machine at least not yet :) I use basic shop tools a bandsaw' date=' a router table with some custom jigs for binding, drill press, disk/belt sander, hand-tools like palm planes, chisels and scrapers and a boatload of sand paper.

Here's is the pretty wood side on my last couple acoustic builds

Koa

[img']http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q304/retrosurfer1959/koa02.jpg[/img]

Cocobolo

IMG_1111.jpg

Wow. I love the back of the cocobolo one. That is absolutely amazing.

Not many people can do that. That is definately art. I like the stripe on the neck of the cocobolo one too it's classy.

I'd love to see some more pics.

Very impressive [lol]

Archived