Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Guitar CEO picks fight

suburude63

I COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT ANY FORUM MEMBER THINKS ABOUT HOW GIBSON CO. SHOULD BE MANAGED. I DO CARE AND COMMEND GIBSON CO. FOR THE EXCEPTIONALLY OPEN BULLY PULPIT WHICH THIS FORUM PROVIDES (FOR ANYONE WHO SO WISHES TO USE IT THUS) THAT, WITHOUT HESITATION, ALLOWS ANY ONE HEREIN TO EXPRESS THEIR FEELINGS, WHAT EVER THEY MAY BE,TOWARD GIBSON'S PRESENT PROBLEMS

MOOSE

The point' date='Subarude, is that you already made this point on another thread and it got discussed ad nauseum. Some here may get a kick out of talking about strings every other week - but trashing Gibson repetitively does wear thin on some of us. [/quote']

Listen Forty years pickin all I did was post a a link to a artical I thought others would be interested in hence it was about the CEO of Gibson ! The writer of the article BTW was only stateing facts ! He was not "THrashing"

I personally made no judgements about the article at all ! [biggrin] Did I? What point am I makeing other than posting a link. I you disagree with the link great! If you dont disagree great!

Where in this thread am I dissing Gibsons CEO ? Why dont you read the start of this thread pal ! All I said was

"Here we go" and posted a link. To me forty years pickin that is not dissin !

As far as the other thread if it really upset you to read about mismanagement of a great company with a great history

Just dont read the thread ! Its as easy as that!

In the future Ill try not to make you nauseous [confused]

Chris was a rodeo bronc rider who got himself into writing and playing music as well. "Western underground." Cowboy rock, if you will.

Garth Brooks used a line in a song about listening to old Chris Ledoux tapes and Chris' career took off pretty nicely.

Then a rare cancer... and he's gone all but in spirit from Kaycee, Wyo. A lifesize bronze statue will be there in June. Brooks even volunteered to be a transplant donor, but no... They did a duet on "Whatcha going to do with a cowboy."

I know it's hard for more urban people to understand the appeal of rodeo, but... believe me, it's a rush probably unmatched by much of any other "extreme" sport. I'm old but still get a little of it behind the chutes or taking pix sometimes a couple of feet from an unhappy bull's horns.

Now...

Put that all into music... Then imagine you know you're dying and put that into music where an 8-second ride is a metaphor for a lifetime.

That's Chris Ledoux.

By the way, I've lived in cities, worked on four continents including North America, wore a suit, etc. But whether old or new, the metaphor of "cowboy" lyrics should have an appeal to anyone who's not dead or lacking comprehension of allegory and allusion whether they like the style of music or not.

m

Chris LeDoux had that rarest of musical traits --- authenticity

Ever hear a white guy play Delta blues ? He may have great technique and love the music but he never gets past pantomining...his massah wasn't really so mean to him, and he has no rider...

Multi-millionaires in their mansions singing about their blue collar jobs and listenin' to music in dive bars on weekends ---they're not really living it...

Then some may sing about what they used to live, but it's just not that gripping a lifestyle...

Chris LeDoux avoids those snares, he sings about what he lives [lived] in a straight ahead unpretensious style...

Quite a few of his songs have a simple Buddy Holly inspired beat and are instantly likeable, yet they have enough substance that you don''t get sick of them after a couple hearings...

Much of life can be described via Western and / or Rodeo imagery which lives deep in the American psyche...

Just remember, when you're headed to Ol' Cheyenne that wolf looking animal is pronounced "ky-oat"

There are a cupla meanings to Hoolihan...

E.g., tonight a steer wrestler got into a bit of it "hoolihaning" a steer. The steer fell when the cowboy made his catch, the cowboy hadda let it up and then it was kinda an interesting variation on Greco-Roman... <chuckle>

Another is a quick sort of toss of a loop to catch a critter. It's used instead of swinging the loop around one's head as you've likely seen in "tie down" roping on televised rodeos.

The "snuffy?" As in what context? One meaning would have something to do with a level-headed cowboy.

Y'know how to tell a level-headed cowboy? The snoose runs outa both sides of his mouth. <grin>

????

----------------------

Keith... I'm not sure I'd entirely agree on the "you gotta live it" to be "authentic.

Cowboy music has always been metaphor. E.g., "When I first hired on at the old Double Diamond, I was a damned poor excuse for a hand..." Well, ain't that most of us on our first real job?

Blues? Well, I've heard the same thing about Flamenco, but the Flamenco I've heard the last dozen years or so sure ain't the stuff I heard 50 years ago. Ditto even "country."

And as Japanese martial arts and the "belt rank system" came to a degree of maturity in the "west," there were a lot of Japanese who felt that no big nose could truly understand budo because he or should would be too inhibited by western culture to be what only a Japanese could understand. Hence, nobody not raised in Japanese culture should be ranked greater than a fifth degree of black belt.

Funny thing to me is that ... I doubt that most young Japanese today would qualify for that any more than the foreigners would have qualified by that perspective in the 1960s and 70s.

A lotta the "folkies" had similar perspectives toward any sort of "folk music" unless they wrote what they considered stylistic equivalents. Yeah... logic has little or nothing to do with the whole thing when one really analyzes it.

By the time "blues" reached something most of us would recognize today as being such, few if any remembered a life of slavery. The experience of "po whaht tresh" was little different from what black families experienced other than the type of epithets the "nice" folks would use to describe them. E.g., is "muleskinner blues" a white song, black song or "yes?"

m

I COULDN'T CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT ANY FORUM MEMBER THINKS ABOUT HOW GIBSON CO. SHOULD BE MANAGED. I DO CARE AND COMMEND GIBSON CO. FOR THE EXCEPTIONALLY OPEN BULLY PULPIT WHICH THIS FORUM PROVIDES (FOR ANYONE WHO SO WISHES TO USE IT THUS) THAT' date=' WITHOUT HESITATION, ALLOWS ANY ONE HEREIN TO EXPRESS THEIR FEELINGS, WHAT EVER THEY MAY BE,TOWARD GIBSON'S PRESENT PROBLEMS

MOOSE[/quote']

As ever.... I am with the Moose!

Keith... I'm not sure I'd entirely agree on the "you gotta live it" to be "authentic.

Cowboy music has always been metaphor. E.g.' date=' "When I first hired on at the old Double Diamond, I was a damned poor excuse for a hand..." Well, ain't that most of us on our first real job?

m

[/quote']

Appreciate your thoughtful well written response, perhaps this topic deserves it's own thread.

It would be fair to say the overwhelming majority of musicians and fans do not care if someone has lived what they play, if they like it they like it, and that's as far as it goes...

Ultimately, if people like the David Lee Roth Bluegrass Christmas CD then they like it, and that's it...

So let's say "authenticity" is completely irrelevant in this day and age --- a good re-enactment is enough, or maybe there's something to the Jungian Archtype theory, or songs can be true on a deeper mythical but non-literal level...

Just don't expect me to believe that Jon Bon Jovi is really a cowboy on a steel horse...

Archived