Gibson Brands Forums

Strings D'addario vs. Fender vs. Gibson vs. Ernie Ball

lespaul24

Well, Crap! I still can't get the links to work. Can't even get to the website from a search engine, so maybe I'm having a Cookie problem.

But like Milod said, they make wire for those companies, but they didn't say they made the "same" wire for those companies. CTS makes pots for the American Strat and the Mexican Strat, but the difference in those Pots are vast. I'm betting the same can be said for sting wire.

Milrod how the hell do you get away with 8's? I even try putting on a set and the first bend and the damn things are out of tune. I would love to have a stable set of 8's on any of my guitars.

I use 8-38's on some of my 'hot rods' (thin bodied solid bodies like SGs & tele customs), 9-42 on my LPs, and 10s on some of my dot style guitars.

Every electric string is some blend of nickel and steel. Every manufacturer thinks he's found the 'holy grail' blend and wants you to agree. Some have hex cores and some have round cores. Some are coated with plastic.

All strings are NOT the same, guys. There are literally dozens of alloys (steel/nickel combos) on the market. Every company claims to have 'the magic blend'. Many companies, like GHS, offer several different alloy combinations in their lines. The more nickel an alloy has, the warmer it will sound. The more steel it has the brighter it will sound.

I use nickel strings on all my guitars with vintage-type pickups, since the pickups are set up to give a warm sound and nickel strings are set up to do the same.

I use steel strings on my hot rods with ceramic or active Alnico V magnets. It makes no sense to use a warm string on a hot pickup, or vise versa.

For my LPs I use GHS Boomers, a nickel/steel blend just about in the 'middle' of the warm/bright spectrum.

I think just about all the regular manufacturers make a pretty good product. It's all subjective. I'm not sure any string is worth for than $4.50/set. IMO, if you're paying $10 or more per set you're getting snookered.

The 8-38 go on that antique Guild solidbody. In fact, that's the only guitar I've ever used strings that light with - not counting the "high g" on a 12-string.

Thought about this a long time. I'm increasingly convinced it's a combination of an extremely low action and a very light touch on the strings. The fingerboard also is quite flat...

Even when I used it in a trio and flatpicked, I was gentle.

I think it's a combination of the instrument and the technique.

Pretty much everything else electric is 9-42 and still played as gently.

m

Note that they say they make wire for those string brands' date=' not that they actually make them.

Also, we're still at the question of how many types of wire... which core and which wrappings... etc.

Yeah, the links obviously worked here...

m

[/quote']

+1

The Samick guitar factory turn out a lot of DIFFERENT guitars.

Electrics are always D'Addario, but I use Gibson Les Paul strings on the Spirit... I bought them out of curiosity, and like them.

I'd use Martin acoustic strings if I were changing daily, but I find they wear to quickly to use full-time. D'Addario don't sound as good, but they sound almost as good for longer. I have a set of Ernie Ball 80/20 something-somethings that I have yet to try.

Archived