Gibson Brands Forums

A knick here or there

McDuff

So I was doing basic maintenance on my guitar lately and saw a lot of the cuts and chips it has (to be honest it is pretty beat up). But on occasion I got a few chuckles as they brought up memories so here is the question I pose to you. If you had the option to magically have every ding and scratch removed from your favorite guitar would you do it? Or would you let it keep its "Battle scars"?

I do like the look and feel of a pristine guitar. It's like a work of art to me. I hate it when you create the first blemish on a new guitar. But also I don't mind honest playing wear. Guitars are for making music with and it's almost impossible to use them regularly for what they were built to do without picking up some blemishes along the way. So if I could magic the dings etc away I probably would, but I would not have a guitar refinished just to cover up honest playing wear.

What I REALLY dislike is artificially aged or reliced guitars. I just don't get it. I think it's stupid!

I've always kept my guitars in immaculate condition. But if you gig regularly, (at least twice a week like I do) you're bound to get a ding or scratch. It's inevitable. I gig with my SongBird and it's gotten a few "battlescars". Would I love for them to magically dissappear? NO! When I see the dings and scratches, it reminds me of all the fun, music, and people and places "we" have been together. On the other hand, my Southern Jumbo is two years old and is in pristine condition. Not one scratch! Just a few microscopic pick scratches on the pickguard. Granted, I do not gig with my SJ. I only use it at "select" places. But lately I've been thinkin', it needs to be played more to open it up more. So I guess it will lose it's "virginity" soon! It's always the first scratch that hurts the most! Somehow the song "First cut is the deepest" just popped in my head.....

I've had my Tele for 32 years and it's not pristine. But I can tell you where every nick came from. I don't think I'd change it.

Yeah I know it's a Gibson Forum, but we need to see that Tele please ksd

I'd opt to not have them removed. And that's why I like buying/playing well-used guitars. No worries about the first

ding.

As KL said, however, IMO there's a difference between "honest play wear", & those major wtf(?) 1.5 " long, vee-shaped gouges, or rectangular punches into the top or upper side that look more like drunken disrespect & carelessness for the instrument.

Nothing looks nicer than a well-played in, shrunk & settled pickguard, etc, guitar.

I've always tried to keep my guitars "pristine," but it's impossible.

What bugs me, though, is a bit of finish cracking on the solidbody strictly from gigging at -20 F or lower temperatures that seem to make any sorta finish a bit of a target.

My four "main" guitars are on average 35 years old and I've managed to keep them looking pretty decent. Any dings are from "working" out.

OTOH, would I want them "restored" magically to new condition? I dunno. I don't think so - unless they played like they do today as well...

m

Archived