Gibson Brands Forums

Bought my first Gibson acoustic

GibsonByBirth

GBB, congrats!!

The 165s are outstanding instruments. I've really enjoyed every one I've played.

The electronics on yours are great, too. The 165 was conceived as a "compact jumbo" (hence the CJ in the title), offering the sound and responsiveness particular to the SJ200 and J185, but in a smaller package.

FWIW, I don't know one single player who has tried (or bought) a CJ165 and hasn't loved it.

Enjoy!!

Your first Gibson? Congrats! Now we have to teach you the secret handshake.

There's also some hazing involved' date=' but telling you about it would ruin it....

Seriously, that's a darn fine guitar and were I a betting man, I'd wager that you'll love it.[/quote']

My first Gibson acoustic. I have owned about a dozen or so LP's. BTW my last name is Gibson hence "GibsonByBirth".

congrats!

I have the non-cutaway, sunburst , rosewood b & s---and I am head over heels in love with it.

I would definitely suggest taking to a luthier (unless you are comfortable doing it yourself) and getting a nice setup--according to your playing style.

I have not stopped playing it since I got it a few months ago and she always blows me away...enjoy!

I believe the top is maple. The neck is perfect. It plays fast and smooth with low action and no buzz. It cost $1000.

The sound is loud for an acoustic. I don't have an acoustic amp yet. Any reccomendations?

Congratulations GBB! The top is probably spruce and the back and sides are maple. The suggestion to get a good setup on it is a good one. I don't have a clue about amps but someone here will. Have fun!

Archived