Gibson Brands Forums

Pro Set-up

saturn

I've had my LP for over three years and never had it professionally set up until today. What a difference! I thought I did a pretty good job of keeping my guitar intonated and the action set, but it's much better now.

I took it to a custom guitar shop in Savage MD called October Guitars and it turns out they are filming one of those reality shows there. I guess it will be similar to Orange County Choppers, but with guitars. I just missed the film crew when I was there because they were out to lunch, but passed them on my way out. Damn, I coulda got my face in some scenes if I had come a little sooner or later!

One thing they did (I know Cuda will disagree with this) is lowered my tail piece all the way down. He said the sharp angle puts more pressure on the bridge and increases sustain. I always thought mine got good sustain before. I'm not sure if I notice any difference yet because I haven't played it through my amp yet, but the action and intonation are definatley improved.

The only problem with havit it set up is.....I will be without my baby for a couple days....It will have to wait a couple weeks' date=' until the newness where's off a little.[/quote']

You could have got it setup when you bought it. Most dealers will offer that service when you buy it.

I've had my LP for over three years and never had it professionally set up until today. What a difference! I thought I did a pretty good job of keeping my guitar intonated and the action set' date=' but it's much better now.

I took it to a custom guitar shop in Savage MD called October Guitars and it turns out they are filming one of those reality shows there. I guess it will be similar to Orange County Choppers, but with guitars. I just missed the film crew when I was there because they were out to lunch, but passed them on my way out. Damn, I coulda got my face in some scenes if I had come a little sooner or later!

One thing they did (I know Cuda will disagree with this) is lowered my tail piece all the way down. He said the sharp angle puts more pressure on the bridge and increases sustain. I always thought mine got good sustain before. I'm not sure if I notice any difference yet because I haven't played it through my amp yet, but the action and intonation are definatley improved. [/quote']

That's right I do disagree. Sometimes you have to move the tail/stop bar up or down as a sacrifice of tone for intonation at the expense of her "G" spot. It changes yor intonation travel, and may move an non- intonatable axe back into range. Always remember they never come from gibson pinned all the way down.

That's right I do disagree. Sometimes you have to move the tail/stop bar up or down as a sacrifice of tone for intonation at the expense of her "G" spot. It changes yor intonation travel' date=' and may move an non- intonatable axe back into range. Always remember they never come from gibson pinned all the way down.[/quote']

Yeah, I was a little surprised that he said he does that on all Gibsons. Another thing he told me was that I should oil the fretboard with every string change. It seems that both of these statements contradict what I've read in the past, but he obviously knows way more than me and there was some beautiful examples of their work in the shop. Plus he was cool as s**t, so I wasn't going to question him. I'll try it like this for awhile and see if I find any difference.

I always thought I did a nice set-up too. That is until I started taking my guitars into a good luthier. Now I swear by having them do my set-ups. I like to change my own strings and do mionr stuff, but now I always go to the Luthier for a good set-up. I can not believe the difference it makes.

I agree with Loud & Proud.

I do minor stuff, my guy makes sure I don't screw 'em up in the meantime....

Also, I run my stop bar posts all the way down.

Puts less stress on the top that way, and I've NEVER had a string break at the bridge.

(Look at how sharp they bend at the tuning post....)

I've had a couple guitars over the years that the tail posts started leaning in the top.

Most Gibsons won't do that, but I feel better knowing I'm not aggravating it.

You could have got it setup when you bought it. Most dealers will offer that service when you buy it.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Jakatak picked up one of those sweeeet MF deals and just had it delivered.

Hey NeoConMan, is the guy you are referring to in your post at BizzarGuitar?

Well I want to know your opinion. When you first picked it up and played it with the stop bar pinned down. Does it increase sustain in your opinion? Do you like it with the string action tighter?

I have to say, that unless it's my imagination my guitar actually has better sustain now. I plugged in a little while ago and tried it out. I had to keep the volume down because my wife and kids were watching tv upstairs but I could still tell the difference. I was playing totally clean and would strum an open chord and it went on forever. I then played bar chords around the 12th fret and same thing. I don't notice any difference in the string tension, but the action is so much better it plays like butter. The whole thing seems to ring and chime more now. I should have got this done a long time ago.

A good luthier or tech hands down will always win the set up argument. They do it for a living I would expect it to be good. I have my gigging guitars set up once a year. I do not pay full set up cost, the guy I go to just charges me for what needs done. If you want to go even more perfect, get a fret dress. Plays amazing. A plek job is better as it can be more accurate but its a trivily difference compared to a luthier. .002" or maybe .004"

Hey NeoConMan' date=' is the guy you are referring to in your post at BizzarGuitar?[/quote']

Yes.

Mike Patruno.

He's the manager, off Sunday and Tuesday.

He won't do any big repairs anymore, he just isn't set up for it, but he built guitars when he got out of high school.

He knows what he's doing.

Busy guy, but if you're patient you will be rewarded.

No BS, his prices are good and he won't try to talk you into anything.

Tell him what you've got, what you're thinking, and he'll do the rest.

He could have sold me stuff I was thinking about on a couple occasions, and he told me I didn't really need it.

Saved me alot of money.

The store is badass, but Mike is the reason I do business there.

Yes.

Mike Patruno.

He's the manager' date=' off Sunday and Tuesday.

He won't do any big repairs anymore, he just isn't set up for it, but he built guitars when he got out of high school.

He knows what he's doing.

Busy guy, but if you're patient you will be rewarded.

No BS, his prices are good and he won't try to talk you into anything.

Tell him what you've got, what you're thinking, and he'll do the rest.

He could have sold me stuff I was thinking about on a couple occasions, and he told me I didn't really need it.

Saved me alot of money.

The store is badass, but Mike is the reason I do business there.[/quote']

Great, I am going to try and get out there on Saturday. My son fell in love with the Kramers he has there, and wants to talk to them about a custom order. Thanks, Does he know you by NeoConMan?

Does he know you by NeoConMan?

Heh, heh....

Maybe. Long story.

You'll have better luck telling them Big Dave sent ya.

No confusion that way.

If you want guitar work done, you will likely have to leave it for a couple days.

Saturdays are busy for them, like any guitar shop.

If he's REALLY busy, he'll tell you up front.

I ordered my PRS from them, big nightmare - lasted over two years.

Mike really took care of me on that one, PRS pulled a couple shenanigans and he caught 'em.

Good luck.

P.S.,

Could you tell by the atmosphere that they do NOT work on commission?

Archived