Gibson Brands Forums

Is My Gibson Real?

STLBlues

All true. And it was the prototype for a Les Paul acoustic travel guitar. It was stolen from the offices at 225 Parsons Street in Kalamazoo by a juvenile delinquent who, in a moment of remorse, dropped it off at a random doorstep and went back to school to study computers, dropping his street name of Wild Billy Gates. He dropped it off at the doorstep of Barbara Feldon, who was on her way to a filming of Get Smart in London. She slipped it into her luggage and when she got to London she threw it at a double decker bus that was making too much noise and interrupting the filming. It hit a passenger in the upper deck in the head and he, in turn, threw it as hard as he could. Just then, George Harrison was opening the door at a music shop when Jimi Hendrix was coming out. The LP travel guitar landed in both of their hands simultaneously at the same time and they had a tug of war with it. Jimi was losing his grip when he blurted out through gritted teeth, 'MY SWEET LORD would you let go of this thing!?" George, in a moment of inspiration, let go of it and Jimi tumbled backwards into a drum display, making the noise, Bang Shang a Lang! Jeff Barry was walking down the street, heard the sound, and immediately called Don Kirschner with an idea for a new hit single, but only if sung by cartoon teens.

Anyone want some of my coffee?

All true. And it was the prototype for a Les Paul acoustic travel guitar. It was stolen from the offices at 225 Parsons Street in Kalamazoo by a juvenile delinquent who' date=' in a moment of remorse, dropped it off at a random doorstep and went back to school to study computers, dropping his street name of Wild Billy Gates. He dropped it off at the doorstep of Barbara Feldon, who was on her way to a filming of Get Smart in London. She slipped it into her luggage and when she got to London she threw it at a double decker bus that was making too much noise and interrupting the filming. It hit a passenger in the upper deck in the head and he, in turn, threw it as hard as he could. Just then, George Harrison was opening the door at a music shop when Jimi Hendrix was coming out. The LP travel guitar landed in both of their hands simultaneously at the same time and they had a tug of war with it. Jimi was losing his grip when he blurted out through gritted teeth, 'MY SWEET LORD would you let go of this thing!?" George, in a moment of inspiration, let go of it and Jimi tumbled backwards into a drum display, making the noise, Bang Shang a Lang! Jeff Barry was walking down the street, heard the sound, and immediately called Don Kirschner with an idea for a new hit single, but only if sung by cartoon teens.

Anyone want some of my coffee?

[/quote']

Please.

oh this could be fun lol

The wood was handpicked by leaprachans too .The fretboard was conditioned by queen Eliazabeth cause she was bored one Sunday afternoon. George, Jimmy and Ringo all stopped at the palace for tea and crumpets. Jimmy got so upset at how the fretboard looked after queen Elizabeth conditioned it that he stormed out of the palace and yelled " Caught my old Lady conditioning the fretboard". Jimmy then proceeded to the studio and recorded an undisclosed song but later said that he changed a few lines to better work with the title.

All true. And it was the prototype for a Les Paul acoustic travel guitar...

The Legendary Les Paul Acoustic! We're not worthy...

I was told by an old man in Kalamazoo that only three were built during WWII. There was some difficulty finding enough quality wood, so, rather than use inferior wood Gibson simply made the guitars smaller & the wartime blackouts made the acoustic part extremely desirable.

I have FINALLY seen a picture of one - I can die happy now.

"Tiny Bubbles

In the wine

Make me feel happy

most of the time."

Scott, you forgot Don Ho.

"Tip toe

through the tulips

In the garden

with the willow tree..."

And Tiny Tim.

Snapshot2010-05-0420-53-40.jpg

That would be the Legendary Gibson U-5 ukelele, denoted by the point at the end of the fingerboard, the headstock inlay, and "custom" fingerboard inlays. It was the sister companion to the L-5 guitar and the F-5 mandolin. It is VERY rare however, because it was only built on the fifth Friday of the month, during leap years, between WWII and the Korean Conflict. If I could only get the pot codes.....

The story goes that ancient petrified Koa wood trees were uprooted during the invasion of Pearl Harbor in December of 1941. A U.S. soldier put the petrified tree trunks in his backpack and marched directly to Kalamazoo, only stopping once at a brothel in Las Vegas. He got to Michigan and realized he had no rosewood for the fretboard, or ivory for the nut and bridge. He immediately headed south, crossing the Rio Grande he encountered Pancho Villa and his gang. After dealing with Pancho he continued south, looking for the most beautiful rainforest he could find. Once he reached Brazil, he knew he had found it. He clear-cut the Brazlian rainforest, slew a couple of elephants, and headed back north with everything on a very large wagon behind a team of mules. After another long and hard journey, and only stopping once at the Andy Williams Theater in Branson Missouri, he once again arrived in Kalamazoo.

After waiting patiently for the next 5th Friday to arrive, he was handed the first U-5 Ukelele by Orville Gibson himself. After taking it in his hands, he realized that the 5000 mile mule drive had left his hands so arthritic that the only song he could play was "Tip Toe Through The Tulips".

And the rest is history.

Archived