Gibson Brands Forums

Strings,strings,strings

Blackie

And maybe a mod on something

Guitaretc076.jpg

Think I am going to either go heavy or light on the Raw Power SG and see what happens.

Has 10's on it now. Thinking of changing the black to cream rings and guard.

I normally wear 9s.

Xcept on the old Guild SG clone; she wears 8s. Has since I bought her. Oddly they sound awfully "full" on her. Dunno about other guitars and I've never worn 'em that light on the other shapes. She just seemed to want the light strings.

Depending on action, finger angles and fretting pressure I think it's harder to play in tune sometimes with the real light strings, but otoh I think it's a lot easier for certain types of technique...

m

Wow, Blackie... that's a man cave Dr. Frankenstein would be proud of! Thanks for a glimpse into the belly of the beast.

Personally I prefer plain 'ol silver strings but whatever you decide, i'm sure it'll look great. Keep up the good work, you're a true artist.

XDemonknight

Yeah, that's kinda how I felt when I started making transitions from a classical and a 12-string to electrics and regular steel string 6-strings. Those nice fat nylon and wrapped strings all roughly the same size were something I'd gotten used to pretty much.

Then around the mid 70s some time - I'd been playing around 15 years or so - I got a wild hare running around in my head and tried some light strings on the SG. It took another batch of years to decide to put the same stuff on the hollow and semi....

Now the nylon strings feel odd - and I've never been comfy with the really heavy steel strings anyway, whether roundwound, flatwound or tapewound...

m

Archived