Gibson Brands Forums

Standard or Custom?

Bluesman1989

Thinking of investing in another Les Paul.....

I love playing guitars - LP's in particular, but I know little about the differences between models.

What are the differences between Standards and Customs? And what would you say was better?

Cost and arguable quality.

Unless you are looking for an authentic reproduction of something like a 59 Standard, I am note sure that the Custom range adds much over what you can have in Gibson USA range. I may be tempted by a VOS at some time, but it would be more about having one in a collection than about the tone.

In my opinion, its dangerous to generalise. You need to try some for your self, that's the only way to sure.

If you are looking for another les paul and you are (judging from your screen name) a blues player,... Could I make a suggestion ?

If you don't already have a les paul with P-90's, you should give that sound a try... I truly believe you may like the P90's for a good single coil blues sound...

You could either buy a Les Paul Special or some of the old Standards had p-90's in them stock... Or you could simply change a humbucker route to a humbucker sized p-90... But I would suggest the Les Paul Special...

Thinking of investing in another Les Paul.....

I love playing guitars - LP's in particular' date=' but I know little about the differences between models.

What are the differences between Standards and Customs? And what would you say was better?[/quote']

Good thing we can only play one at a time! [cool]

The difference's would be price and looks. Customs look real good and you pay for it!

Standards may not look as good, but on playability, their just as good.

The main differences are...

Custom: ebony fretboard, different pickups, fatter neck on newer ones, likely heavier than a Standard. Became a Custom Shop guitar in 2004.

Standard: rosewood fretboard, different pickups. Gibson USA guitar.

The rest are cosmetic. Go to Gibson.com and just look at them side by side.

If you buy a Custom, buy a '68 reissue. I bought mine for less than the cost of a regular Custom. It's a much better guitar. A few hundred dollars more will get you a historic reissue Custom. Read this if you'd like to learn more about LPs. http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/50210-gibson-les-paul-101-a.html

Further to CajunBlues comments, I have a 78 LP Pro with P90s and it is amazing for blues and rock. There is a 1980 example in Vintage and Rare for £1695 if you felt the urge to give one a try. If it is as good as mne, it is worth every penny...

http://www.vintageandrareguitars.com/web/our-catalogue/Gibson/Electric-Solid-Guitars/item/6834

(ps. I have absolutely nothing to do with the shop - just saw the ad on their website).

Manse

The Custom is all about looks, and sounds great too. If you're on a budget, then the Standard is the way to go. The Standard is a great guitar for the money, especially if you buy used. But, if money isn't an issue, then I'd go for the Custom. I have both, but if I had to choose I'd go for the Custom, just based on the fact that the custom would be harder to replace. (more $)

Confused at the vas models available?

I too just recently was pondering. My suggestion is go to a reputable shop and play various models in your range. Ifyou can afford a Custom then your world of custom shop guitars has opend to a new tonal demension.

If you can afford a custom then you are in range of

a 57 VOS,58,VOS,68 Reissue. All slightly different in neck,color,fret size, but with bumblebee capacitors,tone pots and of course better resale value.

I looked at a custom which was great it was nice crisp tone.Itried a 58 VOS and it was for me. You got the dough! Now the best part is have a great time experimenting with Gibson Custom Shop products.It does not get any better than that my friend.

The 57 black beauty on the thread is a few bucks more than the custom but an awesome guitar for any collection.You owe it to yourself to check them out.

Have fun

Oh yeah while your testing guitars in that price range you should try an ES335. Something you may want to add to your collection in the future. It looks great amongst Les Pauls.(Lone wolf looking over the sheep))

HI

I have had many LP's; however, all Standards up until 3 months ago. Now I have a brand new "chambered" limited edition run (Cobra Burst), and a new one-off Custom. I can tell you this.....I have never been so happy. I have also never had a LP with an ebony neck.

For the one-off Custom....Man!!!!! This thing is giving me a tone, which I (and my friends) think is the perfect "Billy Gibbons" type LP tone with an edge.

The Chambered (weight relieved) one is the first new guitar which sounds (almost) as close to my amazing '54 Gold Top as I have ever heard. It is warm & smooth!

All of my Standards, including my '58 Historic, have unique tones and qualities which I love.

I guess it just comes down to: I love Les Pauls and you must too if you are posting here!

Good Luck

Steve

Im a big Custom fan although remember some of the greatest guitarist in the world use Standards ie: Page' date=' Slash,Walsh just to name a few.[/quote']

But if you research, you'll find many of the greatest guitarists also used customs at times. Page is one of them.

Oh yeah while your testing guitars in that price range you should try an ES335. Something you may want to add to your collection in the future. It looks great amongst Les Pauls.(Lone wolf looking over the sheep))

Ive always been a bit suspicious of 335's - Ive never played one, but the neck looks like that of an SG to me and I have to say I done get one with those :-( How do the two compare? And If I were going that route, it would have to be a 345 for that BB vibe :-)

Archived