Gibson Brands Forums

The old girl's still got it.

Twiz

It's weird, I own 3 Gibson electric guitars, I love 'em all. But, I still think my '94 SG Standard sounds best. I dunno, maybe it's mojo, or the ABR-1 bridge? Magic? The spirit of Angus & Iommi? Maybe I'm nuts. Anyway, I was effin' around today and recorded some riffs...

*Please excuse my playoff beard, I'm still bummed out that our Penguins are out of the playoffs and I refuse to shave yet. That being said, Go Habs!.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsv03XAQQws[/YOUTUBE]

Haha. Yeah, you're probably right. -I've got a bit of Black Sabbath album art tattooed on my arm... I do love me some AC/DC though. -Always just simple, perfect, almost Zen-like riffs from that band.

nice jammin there Twiz,, I dont see alot of C, D or G chords there which would lead me to see an ACDC influence LOL,,, never knew them to use drop D tuning hehe ,, nice work !! That black SG looks good on ya !! as does the beard, gives ya that rock-n-rolla look

You think 1994s old? :P

Check my sig' date=' childsplay! ;P

cool stuff man[/quote']

Thanks. I know, some people have dust on their SG's older than mine. I've just had 'Cecilia' since I was 16 (bought her new back in '94). -I've had her just about half as long as I've been alive. That guitar is an old friend. We've been through a lot of crap together. I definitely think that playing music on that guitar kept me out of all kinds of trouble when I was a teenager...and for that I'm always going to be thankful.

...I dont see alot of C' date=' D or G chords there which would lead me to see an ACDC influence LOL,,, never knew them to use drop D tuning hehe ,, nice work !! That black SG looks good on ya !! as does the beard, gives ya that rock-n-rolla look[/quote']

Haha. Yeah, that's true. I like that little extra oomph that dropped 'd' gives me, but that's the lowest I'll tune. I just can't tune to 'b' like some cats. -The strings get too floppy. I do wish I could play more chord-ish riffs like Angus and Malcolm. I'm working on it. As for the beard, I might rock it for a while. I dunno though, it's almost summer. Maybe I'll do a Lemmy beard...

Nice..........I like my 99 Ebony with the ABR-1 best also.

Yeah' date=' I think it's the bridge. They're better for sustain right?

...You hit the nail right on the head there lol

Yeah, I guess I'm a little nuts anyway. Cheers man.

C...s ...I thought you were a 'he' but the world keeps amazing me day after day...

Haha. If I keep the beard, I'll look like the world's skinniest viking. That's pretty metal I guess. #-o

...........I don't really think there is much difference in the ABR-1 with it's posts directly in the wood and the thumb wheel that moves

and the nashville with the inserts and posts with fixed wheel that moves............just we have the old school hardware........

Thanks Twiz; that was great. Question: Do you practice Kung-Fu? I seem to remember a similar tattoo/scar on the inside of the forearm of the Carradine actor that was in the Kung-Fu series back in the day. I think he got it from carrying a heavy and very hot cauldron that he had to carry. It left the imprint on both forearms. Just wondering...

Sweet riffing, brother.

Love the SG. Greatest guitar ever made, isn't it?

Playoff beard - Shaved mine Friday night & got a hair cut. Being a life long Red Wings fan it was a week late. Still looking the mirror and saying, "who is that freak?". Here in the Great Lakes area we call them winter beards too.

GO HABS!

Yeah, I figure a 90s guitar is "new."

But seriously, I've always figured that the SG was "the" solidbody. The Jaguar and Tele have their uses and a master can reeeeeally make 'em wail.

Yet... Something about the neck, far more than the humbuckers, makes the SG just about right.

It's also a lot more versatile, IMHO, than almost any other solidbody for almost any picker. In fact, I'm kinda bothered by the idea a lotta folks figure it's a rock-only guitar.

m

...It's also a lot more versatile' date=' IMHO, than almost any other solidbody for almost any picker. In fact, I'm kinda bothered by the idea a lotta folks figure it's a rock-only guitar.

[/quote']

That's it exactly! When I bought my SG, I knew that I wanted to get something that I could keep and play for a long time. I didn't want to get some metal shredder's guitar (Not that there's anything wrong with that! I just like the classics I guess.) only to be embarrassed by it when I'm 64. I remembered seeing Les Paul play Jazz on his LP, but I also saw Slash rocking one. I liked the SG shape better, but I figured it had the same guts, so that's why I bought mine. -The versatility thing is what drew me to Gibby's in the first place.

Archived