Gibson Brands Forums

Compressors, who uses them ?

SGSpecialguy

thats one pedal Ive never really messed with but I guess alot of people do, it would seem to me that it squashes your sound and takes away the dynamics and attack on alot of you little nuances, but it adds sustain,, just wondering how many of you guys use em in your rigs and tell us which brands or pedals you are using,, keeley, tone press,, etc,,

I used a four knob Keeley for a while.....dunno' date=' just kind of grew out of it...it does take away some dynamic from the sound.

It has its uses, but not for me.[/quote']

that's the one I use, and it works great with my AC50...... Never used one until I tried the Keeley out, and I'm hooked. IMO it makes the amp bite/chime really nice

I use one, as well....mostly for my Ric 12-string...and that "Bryds" tone...

(at least as close as "I" can get, not being "McGuinn"). LOL! But, recently,

I have been trying it, with my 6 string(s), as well...especially the Strat, with

some (mild) overdrive! As long as it's not "overdone" it seems to add just that

nice bit of sustain, that Strat's don't have as much of, as a LP or SG.

CB

I have a couple of them, the Keeley (two knob) being my favorite but as much as I've tried, I don't like a compressor with my band rig. It's great for home when I'm playing clean but even at the lightest settings I get lost in the mix. Now, that's running a compressor BEFORE overdrive; I haven't messed with one in the effects loop ('cause I've never run anything else there and see no reason to run more wires just for a compressor) but I have had great results adding compression to guitar tracks during mixdown.

I run one at all times, it's part of my "dry" guitar tone.

When I run a stomp box pedalboard, I use a Boss CS-2. In my rack rig, I use a DBX 266XL.

I like it to tighten up my low end chunk as well as volume boost my signal path.

I haven't messed with one in the effects loop ('cause I've never run anything else there and see no reason to run more wires just for a compressor) but I have had great results adding compression to guitar tracks during mixdown.

you run EVERYTHING through the front of the amp ??

I run my EQ and non-distortion/overdrive through the effects loop' date=' never tried everything through the front [cool

you run EVERYTHING through the front of the amp ??

I run my EQ and non-distortion/overdrive through the effects loop' date=' never tried everything through the front [biggrin

Yeah, some by preference and one out of laziness (I'm not wiring up the loop for ONE pedal).

The setup:

guitar ->

treble booster (definitely before amp) ->

vibe (traditionally before amp and it sounds good there) ->

flanger (ideally should be in the loop, but I use it for only one song and run the treble booster for some extra grit anyway ->

boost ->

amp

When I was using a chorus, I ran that before the amp as well and that was preference.

Worth mentioning is that my amp has a solo control (like a second master volume) that can be clicked on for a volume boost for leads.

Archived