Gibson Brands Forums

Bloomfield.....

ShredAstaire

Been a fan of his, since my teen years....his playing, on Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited,"

Paul Butterfield's Blues Band, The Electric Flag, "Super Session," with Stephan Stills, and Al Cooper,

"Fillmore East" (live) with Al Cooper, and Johnny Winter, and other various solo projects.

CB

I tried one out at my local shop......my conclusion?

Its an R9 for cork sniffers...nothing special about it at all.

Except the price. lol !!!! man that's a lot of money.

My Gear :-)

‘10 LP R0 50th Anniversary Version 3 1/500 (Cherry Burst)

‘09 LP R9 50th Anniversary (Heritage Dark Burst) 1/500, Bought 4-2010 new

‘10 PRS 25th Anniversary Santana Model ,10Top / Santana Yellow

‘09 LP R9 50th. Anniversary 1 of 59 (Rust Burst)

‘09 LP R0 Standard Ebony VOS

‘09 “Wildwood” CS - 356 Quilted maple & Korina

‘05 Les Paul Standard Faded T.B.

‘08 50th comm.edition, G.O.M. Flying V

‘08 July G.O.M. Longhorn Double Cut BV (Trans Blue)

‘08 Firebird VII (metallic red)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (black / rosewood neck)(Fat‘50’s pups)

‘08 Fender Stratocaster ‘70’s reissue (natural / maple neck)

1999 MIM Fender Stratocaster ’70’s reissue (white / maple neck)(‘69 pups)

1987 Japan Squier by Fender, Stratocaster (white / maple neck)

1986 Ovation Model # 1767-Legend

‘08 Marshall JVM 210H - 1960 AX Cabinet

‘10 Fender Blues Deluxe reissue

And some pedals

RE: Bloomfield "wearing" his guitar high.

It was common when I was playing rock. The low thing never even looked comfortable to me. It wasn't just me, it was everybody I knew regardless of style if they stood up to play.

OTOH, I think a lot of us who began acoustic ended up wanting the strings to be more or less in the position we were familiar with. The low positioning ... well, I'm not so sure that's not largely for stage appearance.

Also...

If you happened to look in the "love song" thing with the Artie Shaw band playing Deep Purple, you'd notice a truly laid back seated guitar picking style... the fingerboard is turned up to nearly a 45 degree angle or so...

m

Deepblue...

Me too...

It depends, though, on which guitar I'm using exactly how high... The determining factor is if my right arm feels about the same as if I were sitting or standing with my foot up on a chair or something... <grin> The low position looks and feels too much as if one were scratching one's ... leg ... or digging in one's jeans pocket... That ain't how I'm used to playing guitar. Ditto banjo and mandolin for me when I did a batch of that stuff in another life...

m

With Butterfield...

Butterfield...

Butterfield...

<grin>

Fit like a glove stylewise...

m

Checked a bunch of the Paul Butterfield Band over the last few days....man those cats work well together for sure.

Thanks for the tip...the more I listen to Bloomfield, the more I like him....

Yeah, the old Butterfield aggregation worked as a unit as far as I could hear...

One PB record I had noted that one should play the vinyl album at maximum volume to get the most out of it. Y'know, running a turntable through a Deluxe Reverb worked quite well. <grin>

I, of course, wouldn't play all that loud. <chortle>

m

Man, I love Mike Bloomfield's playing. Two of my favorite Chicago style blues albums are the first two Paul Butterfield Blues Band jams. Those cats were with it all the way, especially Bloomfield's stabbing fret work. And his work on Highway 61? Legendary. I can live without the hippy dippy silliness of Electric Flag, but I cannot keep away from his playing. The guy has his own pillar in the Church of the Sonic Guitar.

You need to get wise to vinyl' date=' brother. Get yourself a nice turntable and a tube phono amp like this sucker

Trust me. Your ears will thank you.[/quote']

I have no doubt about that....now how does a guy get started without spending a fortune? Any recommendations on an inexpensive but good turntable?

Archived