Gibson Brands Forums

buying pickups, need help

oglukem08

Hey, i'm just wondering on people's opinions on seymour duncan pickups. I've got a les paul, i've been thinking about doing a few upgrades. It's a studio so the craftmanship is not the greatest and i need to take it up to the shop and have them check out the wiring.

But back to the pickups, i'm thinking bout buying SH-14 Custom 5 for my bridge and SH-1N '59 Model for my neck pickup. I have also been considering the antiquities that have which my friend bought for his strat and they sound amazing.

Besides that i'm gonna buy a bigsby tremolo and possibly tuning locks.

If u got an opinion on these pickups or have heard them, please let me know. Thanks

I had a JB in the bridge of my Flying V, it was pretty hot.

I don't know if it was the guitar or the pickup, but it was a screamer.

I have 59's in a Guild Hollowbody and the feedback keeps me from getting any real gain going.

Both guitars are very different than a Les Paul, so you probably wasted your time reading this....

In my experience, Duncan and others tend to have higher outputs than you might think.

What kind of stuff are you wanting to play?

I have always used Seymour Duncan when I go with an upgrade. The SH-1N '59 and the JB are definietly nice. I also like the Pearly Gates, the Alnico II's and the Screamin Demon. I have not used the SH-14 though. You can always take alisten to them at their site. It only goves a few seconds, but you can get a little preview.

Thanks, for the info, i'll look up the jbs. I'm really trying to get a warmer blues sound yet be able to have it nice and bright. I thought about just buying a strat or maybe a gretsch, but i start college in the fall and i don't think i'd be able to afford one. I was also thinking about getting my humbuckers split like by a switch so i can get the single coil sound. Anyone know anything about that?

Thanks' date=' for the info, i'll look up the jbs. I was also thinking about getting my humbuckers split like by a switch so i can get the single coil sound. Anyone know anything about that?

[/quote']

yea, you want humbucker sound, buy a les paul

you want singlecoil sound, buy a strat

=D

yea' date=' you want humbucker sound, buy a les paul

you want singlecoil sound, buy a strat

=D[/quote']

well i have a les paul now but i've played some guitars with the split humbuckers it actually sounds really nice. I know Jimmy Pages new custom les paul has a similar feature.

thanks guys' date=' i've decided to go with the sh-1n 59' for my neck and the jbs for my bridge. Turns out my friend had the jbs in his strat and the custom 5's had too much gain for me. THanks for all the help[/quote']

Nice choice. Great combination. [-(

Kenny, you are correct with your lettering, but all it means is the position.

R is for the neck position

T is for the bridge position.

LynyrdSkynyrd probably just wrote it down wrong.

What would you call a 500 humbucker if you took it out of the bridge slot and stuck it in the neck? 500®.

R is for the neck position

T is for the bridge position.

What would you call a 500 humbucker if you took it out of the bridge slot and stuck it in the neck? 500®.

Hey Tim,

I believe the 500T is exactly that, no matter where you put it.

The pole spacing is wider on the T than on the R, hence the different nomenclature.

I've never seen a 500R myself, not that it means anything.

Check the Gibson site for details.

Archived