Gibson Brands Forums

ES-339 quality control

Sproggie

Hi everyone,

Newbie here and my first post.

I've ordered a fat neck ES-339. Because of where I live it's a mail order and it'll be the first quality guitar I've bought without playing it first.

I'm a bit concerned about old posts I'm finding on the internet about poor quality control and set up. Have these issues been addressed now by Gibson? Why was/is there there a problem here.

I'm really looking forward to getting a great guitar but also getting a little nervous.

I'd be prepared to have it set up by your local luthier. Virtually all of them will settle in differently based upon the original build, humidity in your location, playing style, etc. In general a quality guitar will settle in within a few months and a good set up at that time, which may require fret leveling, crowning & polishing, and it should be good to go for a long time. PAys to be able to do all the basic adjustments yourself.

I got a new Memphis-maded '59 RI 335 last fall that was about as poorly set up as any new Gibson I've ever seen. I'd have sent it back but I thought it showed promise. Fret radii didn't match the fingerboard, bridge problems, bad nut, etc. In the end I replaced the bridge studs with stainless so the thing would stand up straight, fixed the saddle array, replaced the nut, leveled, crowned and polished the frets. Bingo, instant killer player. I can do all that stuff myself, so I was just out a lot of time & effort, but it was worth it.

I did spend quite a bit of time ruminating on the ancestry of the Gibson Quality Control people, but that's another story....

My ES-339 came from Musicians Friend. I paid for 2nd Day Air (UPS) because I wanted it on a Friday, so I could take it to the gig. Musicians Friend screwed around and didn't get it out, and it sat in a warehouse/or a brown truck all weekend and I got it Monday.

Anyhow, I got the extra freight money back and all was well.

The guitar needed just minor tweaking for intonation, the neck/truss rod was perfect, even string height was good. It's as near perfect after almost 2 years and hundreds of live gigs, indoor/outdoor, hot cold, ect., as it could be.

Relax.

Gibson still builds some of the best guitars on the planet.

I got mine at the House of Guitars in Rochester and it was perfect. I got it over a year ago and it hasn't needed any adjustments. You'll be happy with it. Also, let's not forget the best part...congratulations on your purchase! Of course, we want to see a zillion pictures of it once you get it.

I bought a ES 355 custom back in December, new off of eBay and just like Murph the biggest problem I had was the shipping. The set up was good but my amp was not for this guitar. After buying a better amp I had the guitar of my dreams. The one problem I have with the guitar is keeping it in tune. You would think for the kind of money I had to pay for this it would stay in tune longer.

Thanks for the reassurance everyone.

Hopefully the courier comes today so I'll get the camera ready. I've got a 5 watt Blackheart with a Celestion Heritage Greenback in it warmed up and ready to go.

I have an antique red 339 purchased from Musician's Friend two years ago (I think that makes it a 2007?). Anyway, very nice guitar. It had to aclimate to the desert air, but after a few months and some adjustments it is a great guitar. Kind of thinking about a bone nut, but overall I have been very happy with it.

Got a great discount at the time, but I had to call them a give them the "santa" code word #-o. It's a lot of fun to work on your guitar if you have the inclination to learn. Lot's of material out there on the web and lot's of help if you are looking for it.

Enjoy![blink]

I got my antique cherry red 339 back in Nov. 2009.It has made me put my other guitars in the closet.I like the looks' date=' sound and the way it plays.It has the 30-60- neck.

Thanks Gibson![/quote']

Mine has the 30/60 as well. It's my #1 electric and has been since it got here.

My ES-359 and my Less Paul Standard both had to be set up by a luthier. The ES-359 in particular needed more work than I was comfortable trying on a new expensive guitar. Both were fine after the setup work, although it seems the high "E" on the ES-359 tends to slip off the frets if I'm not careful. I have over a dozen guitars and it's the only one that does that.

I did have a bad problem with "sticky neck" on the ES-359, which caused me to put it away and not play it for about 5 months. When I got it out about a month ago it was much better. Love the look and the tone. I just think the quality control could have been better.

I am still having issues with my 339....I had the nut slots filed twice, I grease the slots and the saddles and I still cant keep the thing in tune on the gig..it is really frustrating me because I want it so bad to be my main guitar....been playing a tele for almost 30 years and never had tuning issues....but this gibson is really not hanging in there on the gig...also as a note, there are tool marks all over the fingerboard of my guitar as well as some spots that the finish really sucks on ...like the top of the headstock...I would expect for the money this guitar cost that it would be perfect....the imported crap comes perfect alot of times as well as Gibson style stuff from like Hamer and other companies...why is the quality so crappy at Gibson? Do they not give a crap about the working musicians or is it them sitting back on there name and screw you if you buy into there BS....I dont know....I wish Gibson would do something about it...How about them fixing my guitar and making it right to start with...a brand new guitar should not need as much work as this guitar is needing....I dunno? Im just saying..[biggrin]

joey

www.joeyvellucci.com

I've had my 339 for a couple of weeks now. I'm still happy with the finish but it's not my best guitar for staying in tune. I've eased the nut out a couple of times but i still hear a "ting" when tuning the 1st and 2nd strings. I'm wondering if the nut material is a little soft. Is this possible Gibson Support?

I've had my 339 for a few months now... it came set up pretty good...so I've had no real issuses with it (lucky I guess)

I have had one thing done thats made quite a difference I took it to the local Gibson guru and he replace the

ABR1 with a tone pro... cut the saddles and set the intonation I'am still really happy with it...

familypics461.jpg

Thanks SamBooka. Following your post I've looked at the bridge and stop bar. The stop bar was screwed right down to the body. I've raised the stop bar so the strings leave the bridge at roughly the same angle as they leave the nut for the tuners and I've restrung with Rotosound Pure Nickel 10's. The difference is amazing. Bends are a little easier but the sound is the biggest difference. A lot more volume unplugged and sounding a lot more like a semi. The strings could be a lot to do with this though. I love Rotosounds and they don't break often.

Staying in tune seems better but it's a bit early to tell yet

I don't want to scare you, and I do not own a 339. But in my experience Gibson's QC kinda sucks. My first experience came in '98 when I bought my V. The nut on the guitar would not hold the low e, the neck pick up was disconnected. I had to return it to Gibson, and they just sent me a new guitar.

In 01 I bought an Explorer....same problems as the V, minus the nut.

In 04 I bought another Explorer.....same issues.

I was also an Employee of Sam Ash from '99-'01(worst 21/2 years of my life). In this time I ordered a Gothic Explorer for a customer. When the guitar arrived, the paint was not dry....so the guitar stuck to the pink fabric inside the case. I had the same issue with another customer with an Alpine White Les Paul Custom.

Now I love Gibson. They are my favorite guitar company by far, bar none. But this has been a problem I have experienced several times over the past decade. On the upside, they have always taken care of mu guitars in a timely manner, with great results. None of my guitars that they have serviced has given my any problems since.

Keep in mind that they mass produce most of their guitars, so problems like this are bound to happen.

Archived