Gibson Brands Forums

Zeppelin's "the rain song" SO easy a 10yr old can nail it

SGSpecialguy

It's not as easy as it looks. I'm not sure that anyone could play it or they would (it's a beautiful song). He's probably a

child prodigy and could make anything look easy. He should be proud of himself. I'm sure many envy his skills.

Makes me wish I started playing at his age, maybe by now I'd be as good as he is at the ripe old age of 23. Probably not though. Also, dem00n people who try to put other people down usually only do it because they're trying to compensate for their own short comings; it's also more sad when you're trying to put down a kid.

Ok. Given that the young lad is about 10 years old and I'm almost 5 times that, logic dictates that I should be able to play it nearly 5 times as well.

I'm no mathematician, but the numbers sure don't add up for me.

Way to go kid. I'm humbled and really impressed to see a young person put the time in to learn that well.

Dave

Really not that difficult to play' date=' dleth providing you're in the correct alternate tuning for this song which is DGCGCD.[/quote']

Well I do have the Robot. Now if I could only take the time I did as a teenager to learn. I remember learning so many Zep tunes. I was so hooked as a teen that when I had to sell my amp, I started playing guitar in the bathroom for the acoustics. I eventually put down the guitar for over 20 years with the odd jam every couple of years until about a year ago. Still don't play enough. A couple of hours a week.

Dave

I must have spent over 50 hours learning that song in the 70s in my unsuccessful attempt to impress girls and get laid and ended up with all sorts of standard tuning finger contortions that still never sounded right. Man I wish the internet was around back then or at least I wish I knew about the tuning. That kid nailed it.

I must have spent over 50 hours learning that song in the 70s in my unsuccessful attempt to impress girls and get laid and ended up with all sorts of standard tuning finger contortions that still never sounded right. Man I wish the internet was around back then or at least I wish I knew about the tuning. That kid nailed it.

I'll have to go back and listen to the original studio version of Rain Song, but I thought there was an acoustic guitar playing in standard tuning in effect doubling the electric guitar in open tuning.

But this kid did a good job... even switching pups to give a change in tone.

Not to take anything away from the kid but frankly it's not that great a rendition. A bit too slow and the chord progressions are somewhat clumsy and out of time. However, this alternate tuning is correct. You can clearly see Jimmy playing it this way below. He played the mandolin as well and applied a similar technique to the guitar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6QWQS-pRR8

Really not that difficult to play' date=' dleth providing you're in the correct alternate tuning for this song which is DGCGCD.[/quote']

I was originally thinking that myself neogeoriffic. Jimmy Page (and Keith Richards for that matter) often play in altered

tunings, which is why if you try to play some of these songs in standard tuning (and it is possible, but you don't quite

get that "sound") it's a lot harder to do.

Archived