Gibson Brands Forums

J200 PT Case

I'm new to this forum but want to thank everyone for the great info I've found here. I just received a new J200 PT from Bozeman and it came in a case I haven't seen. It's burgundy inside with a Crescent shaped leather handle and a 3 digit combo lock on the outside. I don't want to bother anyone at Gibson but I'd like to know if this is now their standard case as i would like to get a few more of them but can't find them at any retail outlet. Thanks in advance and yes I did use the search option first! :-s

Firstly, welcome!

Secondly, I'm not an expert, but they will weigh in soon, I'm sure.

That said, this sounds like the case for my Custom Shop J-45. I suspect it's the same, and Bozeman considers the PT a custom job. This case is definitely ncer than the standard fuzzy blue "Cookie Monster" case.

As far as getting more of these vases, I have no idea, but if you can contact Bozemzn, I'm sure they'd steer you in the right direction.

That's a "custom" case! I got one with my AJ short scale custom shop guitar!! They're nice cases!!

I don't think you'll be able to find one, without contacting Gibson, & not sure if even that will help!

Thanks for all the replies. I didn't want to ask Gibson for anything else as they were so kind to custom make this PT model for me in due to relationships I have in the music industry. I just haven't seen this case around and thought it might be avaiable at retail. The lock is great for keeping friends, family and strangers out of your case. It certainly wont prevent theft.

Yeah, sure sounds like one of those so-called quality items made by Gibson. Real fancy and easy-on-the-eyes. You know, I've seen and carried various Gibson guitar cases since the early70's, and like their guitars, I've never found a good one. SOOOOOOOOO, when you're ready to get that refuse out of the house, let me know. I'll be glad to take it off your hands.

All joking aside, Gibson makes some of the sweetest guitars ever made, and I I think they put them in equally nice cases. And that is a good question about locks on cases. Maybe Gibson is just trying to give their jealous detracters something else to ***** about.

Yes they make some nice stuff in Bozeman. I waited a while to get this model custom made for me. They did a fantastic job matching all the woods and assembly looks picture perfect. The case feels like something made by Tumi and I was glad to see it was made in Canada instead of China. Pete himself might be envious of the case...lol.

OK' date=' I never got why they put locks on guitar cases. How much more difficult is it to steal the whole shebang than just the guitar.

Excuse my ignorance and the fact that I am too lazy to look it up but what is a J200 PT? [/quote']

Case locks are probably there to keep "Curious little fingers" from your prized possession.[biggrin]

Case locks are probably there to keep "Curious little fingers" from your prized possession.[biggrin]

That's what I say. There aren't too many people who will steal a guitar, but an awful lot who have no problem picking one up and playing it.

My cases are locked so no one plays them. If someone wants to steal it, a little combination lock isn't going to stop them.

And I've seen a bunch of "party" materials kept in the case accessory box....That may me the main reason for the lock...lol. I'm glad it has a lock so my friends and family keep out unless they ask first.

Will Gladly post some pics when I can figure out how to upload then link pics to this site. There should be an easier way for an older guy like me! I need to figure out what party stuff to put in the case! Right now my finger tips are throbbing from playing the new J. Coming off piano to the guitar is a bit hard on my figures. They are knackered for sure!

I recall an inerview with Townsend in which he said something like he liked the J-200 because it had a dead sounding top which allowed him to play the sucker as hard as he could. I am guessing in '68 Gibson was still screwing that nasty top brace on the guitar.

You can certainly play as hard as you like on a new one as well. It is loud and no need for an amp unless you're playing live. As for Pete he bangs on them pretty hard and I know Alan, his guitar tech, is always fixing them up.

Your sig says "Texas' date='" but your slang says "England."

P.S. I work in Plano![/quote']

Born in New York, schooled in England and travel there often for work, friends and a charity called the Teenage Cancer Trust that I'm involved in.

Archived