Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Birthday to my Les Paul

mweddle187

I just wanted to say Happy Birthday tho my 2004 Les Paul Standard LE. The serial # is 01834xxx. My wife surprised me with it on Christmas. I saw one in Manhattan Midnight at the guitar store in town and told her how awesome it ws. She decided to order me one from musicians friend, and when it came in she opened the case and saw that it was the wrong color (it turned out it ws the Pacific Reef Blue). She said she almost cried but she gave it to me anyway. She said that I could return it if I wanted to, but I told her "It's a Les Paul, I don't care what color it is!" Spent many a good time with it. Took 4 years to pay it off, but it's all mine now and I couldn't be happier, (well maybe an SG to go along with it, but that proposal didn't go over well). Anyway, now to practice up so I can make it sing like it's supposed to.

Welcome.

Nice story. Very nice wife. And happy B'day to yer LP. [cool]

Now' date=' how about a couple of pics?

[/quote']

+1 on the pics . . . and welcome!

I like the Pacific Reef LE over the Manhatten Midnight LE. The Manhatten Midnight is generally a bit too dark for my tastes. Looking forward to the pics.

Yes she is a very nice wife. Her dad has a Les Paul Classic, so she understands. I guess she thought my Strat needed a buddy.[cool] Of course I will post some pics. 2 of them might be more like "product shots", but I just love the color and the grain of the top. Something tells me that you guys wont mind though. As a part-time photographer, I tend to get a little too "artsy" with my pictures. Thats what my wife says anyway.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4142/4756023205_f3e5a7956d_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4140/4756020081_dc7d46a11d_b.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4119/4756026207_71f604cd55_b.jpg

Beautiful guitar, great story! Happy Birthday, and Welcome.

I'm still learning about a lot of different models, and really like the bound headstock w/holly inlay, glad to see more with it (just bought one myself that came with those features and loving it!).

Also, I was wondering about the neck profile of my Les Paul. Since my wife ordered it for me, she didn't pay much attention to whether it ws a 50's or 60's neck. It came from musicians friend, but it didn't have a model number in the hang tag that came with it. The neck is definately alot bigger than my American Strat, to give some sort of reference. Is there any other way to tell, in a body cavity or something?

Also' date=' I was wondering about the neck profile of my Les Paul. Since my wife ordered it for me, she didn't pay much attention to whether it ws a 50's or 60's neck. It came from musicians friend, but it didn't have a model number in the hang tag that came with it. The neck is definately alot bigger than my American Strat, to give some sort of reference. Is there any other way to tell, in a body cavity or something?[/quote']

I've got a 65 Gibby (60s neck) and the neck is comparable (a smidgen slimmer) to my recent model Strat. So if your LP neck is a lot bigger than your Strat, neck you've probably got a 50s round profile.

Also' date=' I was wondering about the neck profile of my Les Paul. Since my wife ordered it for me, she didn't pay much attention to whether it ws a 50's or 60's neck. It came from musicians friend, but it didn't have a model number in the hang tag that came with it. The neck is definately alot bigger than my American Strat, to give some sort of reference. Is there any other way to tell, in a body cavity or something?[/quote']

If you e-mailed or called Gibson Customer Service and gave them your serial number, they should be able to tell you whether it was a 50s or 60s neck.

I have a Santa Fe Sunrise LE, and it has a 50s neck; however, it is not as big as some of the reissue LPs (i.e., R7) or the '68 Customs (the '68 Custom in the pic to the left is easily bigger than the 50s neck on the LE).

Archived