Gibson Brands Forums

82 LP Custom SB turned Green

scwilcox

Need some help, I have 2 Les Paul Customs that I have had in storage for almost 30 years. One is an 82 LP Custom Silverburst I received in 83 for my birthday, I have now retired from the military and picked it up from my parents home. It is discolored to a slight greenish tint I guess from being in storage so many years. Does anyone know if it is in the finish under the varnish or is there a way to clean it off? I have only played it 1 or twice a year on leave when I would visit home, but would like it silver again.

Other Gear

79 LP Custom Tabacco Burst

77 Strat

Ibanez GAX 70 Butterscotch for beating around on

Regal Dobro SQ RD45

82 Takamine EF-350MC

1943 Kay Resonator

1943 Supro lap steel

I played a late 70's Silverburst LP Custom a few months back at a local music shop. That guitar had kind of a similar tint as you are describing. I think it might just be how the finish aged. If it really bugs you, you might be able to find someone to clean it. I'm not sure. I'd say leave it as is, slap some new strings on there, and rock! -That's mojo! Cheers.

Metal colored paints (silver, gold, copper, chrome, etc) actually contain the some of the metal for which they mimick. Sounds to me like the metal pigment in the paint has oxidized. If this is the case, it is a chemical reaction of the paint under the clearcoat. I'm not sure what, if anything, could be done to restore it back to it's original color.

Some of the old Black Customs ( Black Beauties ) Have that greenish tinge to the paint... I wouldn't let it worry you... Give the guitar more mojo... Shows that it's a real vintage guitar and not a reissue... Post some pics please...

30 years is waaaayyyy too long in storage.

First thing: nitrocellulose ages and turns yellow over the years.

Second thing: the original run 80's silverbursts had a known issue: they would turn green due to oxidation of the flakes. heat and sunlight accelerate this process, so if it was kept in a hot/warm storage area, this makes it happen faster.

• 5 weeks later...

There is nothing you can do for it. its part of the guitars mojo now. Don't try to over rubpolish it, you'll just ruin the finish. It looks to be in great condition. Play it and enjoy it. The brigde and tailstop on it look a little bit different then what I've seen on most silverburst, did you have the originals replaced?

Let me know if you want to sell it :-$

Mine is still mostly silver, but the binding has a cool yellow glow to it now.

lpsb.JPG

Thanks all, I actually have the warranty card for this and my 79 that were issued at the guitar store when we bought them but I believe the warranty expired in 1983, lol. Anyway, I will just keep it put up with the others, just picked up a cheap Fender to bang aroud on

1001806f.jpg

Hey Silverburst83,

I just saw your question, good eye, the bridge is original but I added the fine tuner tailpiece, it just slides on, no modifications required, the original is in the case, just in case I ever want to slide it back on, I did the same thing with my 70 tobacco burst, I bought the tailpieces for $15 each in 84, now they are $119 at MF

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Gibson-Tailpiece-TP6?sku=306102

mine also came with the diamond shaped strap buttons and flip out tuners

Archived