Gibson Brands Forums

Meh DR Strings..

Josh James

So, I bought a pack of DR Pure Blues 11's or heavy. Went to put them on and the d string was a dud much to my dismay. I really want to use pure nickel strings, are Gibson's vintage reissue any good? Any other's that people dig? Is it true that not using pure nickel strings will damage your frets?

Thanks for your input =)

J

DR strings are usually very good. I'm sure they make pure nickel strings as well. I don't know whether or not pure nickel strings will harm your frets...you'd probably be more prone to damaging it than your strings will. I'm guessing by dud, you mean that there was a kink on the string that prevented you from fretting it normally?

I've been using DR TiteFit strings exclusively for the past couple years and I've NEVER had even a minor defect or problem. I have bought a ton of those strings. Maybe I'm just lucky. I can't complain.

I've never tried the Pure Blues. The TiteFits are great.

I put a set on today and they were rocking!! Must have just been a dud set, I have had another "d" in a dr pack be unwound, so it wasn't just a one time thing. I also was trying to adjust my bridge or saddle height on my Standard today and it was beech! How in the heck are you suppose to measure 5/64th's of a inch? I finally gave up on measuring it and just did it till it felt right, but something is still off and I can't put my finger on it? Tech adjusted trussrod and such, so I dunno?

J

but something is still off and I can't put my finger on it?
Off in feel, or off in sound?

Going to tweak my truss rod tomorrow and restring with some Pure Blues I bought about a week ago. Then I'll take another shot at the intonation.

I've been using Pure Blues on both my LP's and both my L6's

and have never had a tuning problem. Even temp changes barely effect the tuning for me.

The only problem I had was one time the B string came unwound from the ball end while tuning.

Took it back and got a new one no problem.

Ok, so after playing it today and adjusting the saddle it got back to normal. The high E side has to just be maybe a whole turn down or just barely below the low E side. Sounding good and rockin' nasty style.

J

Archived