Gibson Brands Forums

dont you just hate it when you get a nail in your tire

pete c

I once had a burg in a tire - it wasn't a nicely formed huge nail like in the pics, but it was about 3/8" in diameter and about 18" long. It actually wrapped around the inner hub of the wheel.

I have no idea where I might have picked it up, but dang! No little tech-screws for us, I guess.

nope she was just driveing down our road. two poeple are building log cabbins and thats waht it is a spike for putting then togther.oh yea we had a spare. no one will patch it and an inner tube is not avaiable for it. what sucks is they are new tires.

Is that a rail spike?

Nope. I used to call that a Landscape spike. It's used spike stacked timbers like landscape timbers or rail road ties used to make retaining walls in your back yard.

The worst I ever had was when My wife hit a rat tail file which likely fell out of a contractor's truck. The aftermath suggests it pierced the front tire, shattered and a large shard impaled the rear tire. Two for the price of one!

As far as repair... I once had a small nail in that same location, border between tread and side-wall. No shop in town would touch it. It was a fairly new tire and hated the thought of having to buy another. I bought a tire plug kit, the kind with a fiberglass rope like substrate saturated with rubber. I plugged it and got along fine. I had to re-plug it once before the tire wore out. That was back when I was poor and ignorant.

THIS one I would chalk up to bad luck, bite the bullet and replace the whole tire. It isn't worth the risk to you, your passengers, others who may drive it and the driving public you may draw into your accident if this tire goes Ka-Blooey!

Archived