Gibson Brands Forums

Does anyone else hate it when..

Flight959

I get that sometimes' date=' I usually just say "Oh, since you are playing that one, I guess I'll use another..." Sometimes that will get a reaction, sometimes I get more pissed off. No matter what, I just play a Slash song, and they all bow down and cry[/quote']

I always wanted to see if I could change the person quoted just by changing the names.

Maybe one of the reasons that the salesperson feels the need to play a few tunes before handing you the axe is to let the potential buyer know that the instrument is capable of actually playing something that sounds good. Of course, that's assuming that the salesperson can actually play some riffs or power chords. If the potential buyer is a newbie and/or not very good, knowing that the instrument is capable of emitting some cool tunes may decide to buy it.

I have not really had that problem, but alot of the staff at the GC's out here in AZ are very short, rude, and just kinda seems like I'm wasting their time for asking a simple question about a stock of a certain guitar. I tend to stay away unless I cant find what Im looking for at my local private owned guitar store.....Musicians Discount in Mesa, AZ....If your in the area anytime check them out!

All kidding aside' date=' I can't help but wonder whence came such as "guitar center." There certainly was nothing even close to such a chain when I started pickin'.

m

[/quote']

It all began with Musician's Friend catalog.

Then the Walmart-like guitar-marts came in, absorbed all the good distribution and choked the life out of your personal "Joe's Guitar Shack".

Ebay and Craigs List killed what was left of the used gear stores because people would rather take the chance at getting snaked by faux guitars to get the cheapest of cheapest price on something.

I miss the old days of the local guitar shop and I don't mind paying a little more to said shop because they eat the risk and usually have fully checked the gear out prior to it hitting the floor.

I've come across this situation a few times. Never at my "local" Guitar Center, but at a few Sam Ash and Guitar Center stores throughout Florida. Overall, the Guitar Center in West Palm Beach off Okeechobee Blvd. has always been good whenever I go there. Not only will they hand me any guitar, but they will usually give me a little info on the guitar, and direct me to what they think is the best amp to play it on, which is pretty cool. I've even had them recommend other guitars to play based on what I was just playing. They also seem to pay a lot of attention to what I'm playing, giving a thumbs up or a positive comment whenever they walk by. Unfortunately this isn't the case at most others I've gone to.

I've had a few salesmen start playing the guitar before handing it to me, some just simply strum it a few times to set up the amp and make sure the guitar is playable and in tune. Sometimes they go on for what seems like 5+ minutes, I guess trying to impress me with how good they are, I don't really know. But when they do that, it does bother me some.

Unfortunately around me, the local shops don't carry anything nice, so i'm forced to drive to palm beach to go to GC or George's Music to play any Gibsons, Fenders, PRS's, etc. etc.

I actually haven't had a real problem with this at our GC. There, I finally said something nice about GC!!!

When I visited Bizarre Guitar & Drum in Phoenix I ask to see a guitar. The salesman took down the guitar, spun it in the air (!!!) and then handed it to me. He did this multiple times. I was with Neo and he looked amazed too. I didn't have the guts to ask him if he ever dropped one...

Archived