Gibson Brands Forums

Get Connected w/Gibson Chairman & CEO Henry Juszkiewicz

Gibson CS

One of the biggest gripes about Gibson is that they don't listen to anyone (especially their customers). Even if this is a PR stunt' date=' it's basically what we've been asking for. So we should support it.[/quote']

Well said.

I couldn't agree more with Johnt. Here in UK it is just about impossible to buy a Gibson. Well a new one anyway.

The dealers only want to sell their stock and are so disinterested in me as a customer that I get no reply to my E Mails.

Not any that as Johnt says you can't visit a dealer and try out a 200 or a 185, Bluesking J45 Cj165 because they are not in stock. Gibson need to appoint a serious dealer somewhere in Uk after all it's not a big country and if you have to travel and take a day out to buy a nice guitar so be it. So perhaps it's easier to go to the states certainly cheaper, and thats something Gibson need to look at, why is a guitar in New York not the same price as in London?

' date=' why is a guitar in New York not the same price as in London?[/quote']

Well, for one thing, there's no shipping, taxes, duty, VAT etc. involved. Still, it shouldn't be that hard to buy a Gibson in the U.K., but then, it's often not so easy here in the States either unless you live close to a major dealer or are willing to buy on-line or at GC. Maybe you can bring it up with Henry and see what he says?

This is a good move by Henry and I support it .... the problem is that after registering for some reason Im not able to reply to a question or start a new post to Henry. It doesnt give me that option - what is that ??

I ran into the same thing at first. I randomly jumped into other threads and kept hitting 'reply' (or whatever) and at some point it allowed me to post. Kinda like slapping the side of the TV I know, but it's worked ever since.

Hey fretplay...have you tried Guitar Village in Farnham Surrey. They seem to have quite a selection of Gibson acoustics.

http://www.guitarvillage.co.uk/product-list.asp?manuid=36&catid=4

Mike

Henry A good day to you!

Please feel very free to read this rant!

Very disappointed with both Guitar Village and that shop in Guildford, Andersons?? (I know it is Andertons but GK what reason they have given me to get their name right!)

About three months ago I emailed them both re a delivery on a J200 TV as do you know what I wanted to place an order and told them exactly that!

Not a sausage by means of a response!

Coda Music did reply I gave them a spec and asked for an estimated delivery and .......waited

and waited

and waited

STILL waiting!!!

These people. whose walls are stacked with Les Pauls, can NOT be called Gibson Acoustic Dealers simply because the term does not exist in this country.

The proof......................................................................??????????

Well AJ and I have been on this track for two years and not one solitary response from either Gibson nor any of the so-called dealers!

And do you know something......?

I can drive 13 miles to Canterbury where there is a musical instrument shop selling everything from castanets to grand pianos and they can show me a selection of Martins, Takamines etc etc They can even show me a few Gibson Electrics but their eyes glaze over when I mention Gibson acoustics.

Give up Gibson stop pretending that you see a UK Market for acoustics.

All you see us as is a nation of Jimmy Page clones wanting Les Paul after Ler Paul!

Hey I got a stetson too y'know!

Henry A good day to you!

Please feel very free to read this rant!

Very disappointed with both Guitar Village and that shop in Guildford' date=' Andersons?? (I know it is Andertons but GK what reason they have given me to get their name right!)

About three months ago I emailed them both re a delivery on a J200 TV as do you know what I wanted to place an order and told them exactly that!

Not a sausage by means of a response!

Coda Music did reply I gave them a spec and asked for an estimated delivery and .......waited

and waited

and waited

STILL waiting!!!

These people. whose walls are stacked with Les Pauls, can NOT be called Gibson Acoustic Dealers simply because the term does not exist in this country.

The proof......................................................................??????????

Well AJ and I have been on this track for two years and not one solitary response from either Gibson nor any of the so-called dealers!

And do you know something......?

I can drive 13 miles to Canterbury where there is a musical instrument shop selling everything from castanets to grand pianos and they can show me a selection of Martins, Takamines etc etc They can even show me a few Gibson Electrics but their eyes glaze over when I mention Gibson acoustics.

Give up Gibson stop pretending that you see a UK Market for acoustics.

All you see us as is a nation of Jimmy Page clones wanting Les Paul after Ler Paul!

Hey I got a stetson too y'know![/quote']

Totally agree JT. I live about 40m from London and work there sometimes.

Henry, you cannot even try let alone buy a Gibson acoustic in London. This is London we are talking about here. Martins, Taylors, etal, no problem.

I know Coda have a reasonable range in Luton and Stevenage, but they are the exception.

Talk to dealers and they don't want to know about Gibson.

When Rosetti had the distribution contract in the UK, things were very different indeed. Good choice, willing retailers and great support through tyhe distributors. OK your margin may have improved but I'd bet the bottom line hasn't. And BTW, they are no better value than they were in Rosetti's days.

Sorry for the rant and yes, I shall post this over on Henry's blog/forum thing.

I don't own a stetson but if Henry would like to donate one to Johnt and myself, suitably emblazened with Gibson, I will gladly wear it as appropriate. John, I'm sure will, swop his bowler for one.

Well' date=' this thing seems to have stopped cold. I'm guessing Mr. J is overwhelmed with posts, as most of them have gone unanswered since day one.

Oh well, nice while it lasted.[/quote']

I posted a question to Henry yesterday and he replied within a couple of hours. That's a better response than I get from my CEO, (well sometimes!)

I sympathize with you guys in England. If the local shops there are under the same requirements of local shops here, I can understand why they aren't too enthusiastic about working with Gibson. Hopefully Guitar Center will invade your country, and you may get a few to see on the wall.

• 4 weeks later...

On a serious note:

Warranties....

It is my opinion nthat lifetime warranties to the original owner are simply a marketing ploy as most guitars are traded or sold

and the second ans subsequent owners are left out fo the warranty loop.

Why is the buyer warranteed and not the instrument...

Auto manufacturers for decades have transferrable warranties... why not musical instruments.

Sullivan banjos ( a major supplier of components to Gibson) has for years extended their banjo warranties to subsequent owners..

It is my opinion that a 5 year warranty is long enough, as most true manufacturing defects occur within a much earlier period, certainly under two years. Exceptions may be lifting necks which is inherent in a weak design... not a defect but an eventuality..

Of course Taylor solved this by making a quick detach knock down neck ( which was marketed as saving the worlds resources.. what bs.. it was a warrnty saving )

Anyhow...it would be reasonable to reward the original owner with a 5 year warranty and a subsequent owner perhaps a maximum of three years from original date of sale... or

as I suspect instrument manufacturers do not wnat to give up the grand standing lifetime warranty.. so offer that to the original owner and a max of 3-5 to subsequent owners

This woulod be the mature business thing to do and in my opinion may win over more new buyers or repeat buyers than the usual lifetime warranty replete with an endless list of exclusions...

Why not be distinctive and a trend setter/pioneer and introduce an adult warranty that focuses on the product and Gibsons faith in the product rather than the usual everyone does the same thing nothing distinctive lifetime warranty which means zip all

particularly when I continue to read horror stores of Gibson customers attempting to get satisfaction...

and only when a huge public noise is made some Gibson junior executive piggie grandstands on a discussion group and plays the white knight..

this should not be necessary

Show spme class.. just shut up and quietly get the job done.. get the customer satisfied as the noise will be louder and last longer than

the look at me nonsense blathered by the hero factory rep or mouthpiece

for examples check the history of Banjohangout or mandloin cafe for examples... Big Joe was often the hero... and there were others..

And while we're at it.. don't go the route of Martin and insist I am not a customer but an end user.. Martin died when Longworth left and CFM IV came on board.. the death of a fine company and the birth of a corporate empire whose enthusiasm for the product si about that of a comapnay that mkaes lamshades or coat hangers.. until of course CFM IV can rub elbows with the rich and famous .. then he shines..

That is not the Martin of Old...

Back to Gibson.... Be quiet be classy offer value.... treat your customers with respect which extends to the quality and value of the instruments.. and dealers who actually understand and care about the product and History of Gibson

which brings up Guitar Center

This may be your bread and butter but damn are they abusive of the product and clueless, shamefully ignorant and careless. sad.

I have owned Gibsons since 1963 including guitars banjos and mandolins... perhaps 2 dozen in total Currently own a 2000 WM-45 and an Epiphone elitist Byrdland.. I have owned a 1946 J-45 a Heritage an L-48, TB-3 Conversion Snakehead mandolins Em 150 on and on.

Unfortunately I see escalating prices and decreasing quality and value... ignorant uncaring dealers, surly customer service department...Why ?

Have you honestly compared what you offer to what others offer ?

Look at a Collings Gibson copy or a Heritage and compare it with what I consider to be grossly overprice, underwhelming quality ergo poor value

How do you expect to expand your market and retain diehard Gibson fanatics like me when what I see is disrespect if not contempt for the customer

given what you offer and how they are treated and what they are offered. It is disheartening.

In short

Improve the product

Improve customer service

Improve the dealer body ( Carmel Music was one of the best dealers/fans you had until you put the big boots on)****

Improve the warranty

Make the product worth what you are asking

Appreciate and respect your customers and show it by not screwing around with them by looking for a way NOT to help rather than looking for a way to help... that is a distinguishing feature of a class company....

****The best dealers aren't always the biggest,

BETTER business not more business often works

Why not reduce the stocking demands on quality dealers in smaller markets...

Quite frankly I do not and will not buy a Gibson from Guitar Center my local Gibson dealer...

affectionaltely known as guitar crusher or the home of Old, New Stock....

Great post! Sums it up very well.

The same philosophy works well by makers/dealers who "get it" over on my knife forums. The top makers who also charge the most have a very simple warranty system. if ANYTHING goes wrong, regardless if you are the 1st or 50th owner...you send it in and get it taken care of.

The ones who hassle and try to get out of taking care of the customers get exposed quickly and it's a label that dies very slowly even if they change their ways.

I realize this is about guitars and not knives but there are 40,000+ members there who love knives and many high-end production ones are over $500 with customs having a big market they can go for the thousands.

Same business philosophy should apply. You take a man's hard earned cash, you stand by your product COMPLETELY...and the positive word of mouth will be tremendous. I see it all the time.

You will gain many more customers and make up the money in new sales, that you "think" you're saving by not taking care of the customer and fixing the issue.

Shouldn't be full coverage for everything forever but a nice compromise would be nice to see. We certainly hear of many more bad experiences than good when it comes to a warranty issue with Gibson.

Not a hater at all....huge Gibson fan. I just wish they would treat their customers the way they would like if they bought a pricey instrument and it had a problem.

• 1 month later...

I don't understand the negativity here. The CEO of the company that builds the instruments we love has created a dedicated forum to read our criticism and respond to our input. I don't know of another CEO who has done this. To ask that he read this forum seems misguided. He'd have to wade through all of our nonsense (and I admit responsibility for some of that nonsense). We should all jump at the opportunity to engage Henry J. in a productive conversation about Gibson guitars.

I'm new here and I agree with your comments. Hey, he OWNS the place, he can do what he wants. Though I no longer buy Gibson guitars, I've played many and still own one of the best Gibson guitars I ever had, a jazz ES-150DCW. It rocks like hell! If I find a white Les Paul SG Custom of the proper vintage and condition, I hereby threaten everybody that MAYBE I'll buy another Gibson. Otherwise I'm happy.

Zurdo

Archived