Gibson Brands Forums

Amp Mic

zigzag

I am going to mic my amp thru a USB port to my PC. I considered a Shure SM57 with a USB adaptor, but then someone recommended a Samson C01U. Anyone have a preference or a better suggestion?

I use an SM57 pointed to the side of the speaker. Not directly at the cone.

If you ask me technical questions about why I do it that way I wouldn't be able to answer you. It's just something I started doing and liked.

I like the SM57 just fine but there are better.

The SM-57 has been the go to mic for live and recording applications for years. Tried and true.............hard to go wrong using it to mic an amp.

+1. I've always used the SM-57, and it works great!

SM57's are durable and work great. However, Sennheiser and Heil make the most transparent sounding mics I've ever heard.

The Sennheiser E609 and 906 are wonderful Cabinet Mics, and the Heil PR35 is the best Mic I've ever owned, Hands Down. Great Vocal Mic, Great for Sound Reinforcement.

Tell me little about a large diaphragm in a mic, versus a smaller one, and and how that affects the nearness of the mic to the speakers and distortion and such? Which is better?

I typically use a Sennheiser e609' date=' although I do have a SM-57[/quote']

Have never used one, but was checking them out on line. Very nice. Says they are modeled after an MD series mic. Looks like I need to invest in one.

Tell me little about a large diaphragm in a mic' date=' versus a smaller one, and and how that affects the nearness of the mic to the speakers and distortion and such? Which is better?[/quote']

I prefer large diaphragm when using condenser mics because

1. they are more sensitive

2. the field of sound they capture is larger (bigger sweet spot)

Small diaphragm mics tend to have higher dynamic range and a better sweet spot. They are great if your sound source is small, focused, and does not move; like a small guitar amp.

Where you get the biggest payoff with a large diaphragm is acoustic instruments. Think of an acoustic guitar. You get booming bass right out of the sound hole, rich highs from the top, and jangle from the strings around the 14th fret. Try capturing that wide sound scape with a small diaphragm condenser. You can't. It's too surgical.

Here's a shootout I found between the e609 and the SM57. Definitely doesn't beat playing with both on your own, which I'm hoping to do, but I think it's an interesting place to start:

Thanks for all the input here guys. I've been thinking about what mic to get too, and you've helped a bunch.

Archived