Gibson Brands Forums

SKB o TKL???

Tman5293

I'm looking at these 2 cases and trying to decide between them:

SKB:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/SKB-SKB-61-Deluxe-SGS-Solid-Guitar-Type-Electric-Guitar-Case-101380673-i1152008.gc

TKL:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TKL-Premier-SG-Style-Guitar-Case-100448376-i1276126.gc

Any advice on which one is better and why? They both seem like good quality cases to me. However, I am somewhat leaning towards the TKL case.

Any help is greatly appreciated! #-o

I'd go with the SKB. I have one for my Guild classical and it's the best, most stable case I've ever used.

The SKB is sturdy and solid, and it protected my Guild while it rode in the trunk of a car, stuffed between and under suitcases. I have no experience with the TKL cases, but I think SKB makes a great product, and I'll continue to purchase cases from them whenever possible.

Another vote for SKB. I actually have both, an SKB for my Tele and a TKL for my J-60. The SKB is a tank of a case. I really like the way it snaps down and the shell is tough. I have taken it in my trunk from one end of the county to the other and my instrument has never had any issues what so ever. I have not traveled as much with my TKL case, but I do believe it would hold up fine. The molded shell of the TKL just seems far stronger than the laminated wood shell of the TKL, at least in my opinion. Either way they are both nice cases that will protect your instruments very well.

I've got both. -My SG is in a SKB, and I have a TKL for one of my LP's and a SKB for the other. The TKL cases definitely look cooler (in kind of a old-school way), and they offer good protection for your guitars. However, IMHO, the SKB case is better, and seems like it would take more abuse. When I gig, whatever LP I take goes into the SKB.

Dont think you could go wrong really' date=' a studio/venue near me, actually stacked a fair few amps on top of the TKl case (gibson stock case, they are the same iirc) and it didnt budge[/quote']

I had heard somewhere that TKL makes Gibson's cases. This is why I was leaning towards the TKL case. Isn't it just like the Gibson case without the logo? [biggrin]

TKL makes Epiphone and Gibson cases - it wouldn't make much sense for Gibson to use two different OEMs for their cases, would it?

I have an SKB-made Martin case, and several TKL-made Epiphone cases, and prefer the TKL case (and my other plywood-and-tolex cases). The SKB is bulky and I don't feel like it offers any more protection than the TKL. I would buy the TKL.

Archived