Gibson Brands Forums

To case or not to case?

justshane

Just a question that I have always wondered about. I have personally done both but I wanted to see what you guys thought. Is it alright to keep your guitars out (including semi-hollow body guitars) or shoudl they always be kept in the case when you are not playing them?

What do you do? Case or no case?

I don't know what a scientific analysis might bring out, but it's my observation that at minimum a case slows the effects of changes in temperature and humidity while not entirely isolating the instrument from them.

That would seem to be of benefit to virtually all metal and wooden components.

m

My only real concern with going in & out of the case all the time is a handling error resulting in a ding.

Bang it against metal on the case, or hit something as you're carrying it.

Seen it happen a million times, even with the case on the floor.

Case is best for sure if it's gonna stay there though.

Anyhow, that's why I did the cabinets for my guitars.

Keeps the dust off, and they're surrounded by padding when being handled.

Pics in signature.

I always keep them in their cases. If I didn't then my guitars would take up twice as much space as I still have to keep the cases somewhere. But that's not the main reason . . . I do it to protect them.

Neo makes a good point though . . . you do have to be careful, especially with some cases like the current Gibson acoustic cases for example. They are an accident waiting to happen with those horrible metal tongues protruding out of the side of the case when the lid is up.

Are those juszt antique armoirs? That is brilliant! Great collection!

No.

I have an antique armoir in my master bedroom' date=' but my wife uses it for clothes.

The smaller cabinet is just an entertainment center I got on clearance at Hobby Lobby.

The big one I ordered from a store in Phoenix, made in Mexico. It's designed to house a big screen TV.

Cost as much as Les Paul, but Mrs. Neo insisted we get it. She was right!

[biggrin

The trick was finding something deep enough (front to back) for guitars to sit firmly on a rack.

I've had visitors in the room who looked at the cabinets and never guessed what was inside - never said a word.

(Even with five amps in the room, some people have no clue what they're looking at.)

Anyhow, out of sight/out of mind for the casual visitor....

Didn't graduate - long story.

Moved to the sticks near Cement middle of my Junior year, folks had a mini-ranch there.

South of 277, south of the HE Bailey, 1 mile east of the Grady County line.

Seibold family had a dairy next to us.

Attended Ninnekah High, a real sh!t-hole.

Lost my driver's license that summer, so transferred to Chickasha to keep a permit.

Needed a gov't credit to graduate, so I got a GED instead.

Moved to OKC for a year, then moved back to Kansas where I grew up.

You in Chickasha?

Seriously?

Cool!

You don't work for a company building horse trailers, do you?

When I was there, it was the horse trailer capital of the world!

Prolly a dozen companies.

My family was in the Oil Biz.

Last time I was there, a tornado was pounding the hell out of the place - 1999.

Drove to OKC in badass thunderstorms while tornadoes hit there - didn't know it.

Heard on the radio that Moore got hit.

Knew people in Choctaw, that's where we were headed, had a hell of a time getting a room.

Had no idea how bad it had been until the next day.

Drove back down to Moore - HOLY SH!T!!!

Saw a lot of tornadoes in my life, but that was the worst damage by far.

Drove around for two days checking it out.

Took lotsa pics, lost them in a divorce.

Does the dust bother you?

Ebony + dust = heartbreak.

Other than that' date=' I fear that they might fall.

My 1976 Explorer is hanging right now, but I [i']know[/i] I got that screw into a stud.

Well I'm not too worried about dust since I take an air duster to my SG almost everyday. However, I do worry about it falling a lot......trying to decide whether or not to put it in a case.

Does anyone else think that leaving your guitar hanging on a wall all the time is a bad idea?

I had that concern too, but most people assure you that it's absolutely no problem. Most stores use hangers too.

Currently I only have my Epiphone Dot Studio out on a wall hanger, and soon my new acoustic on a stand. Everything else in cases.

NeoConMan: I think I'd rather have a small scratch or ding from putting my guitar in a case than knocking it off a stand ;-)

I love the armoir you keep your guitar in. I might look into something like that myself. But I'm a bit worried if the neck get enough support in a stand like that.

I keep them on the stand or hanging on the wall until it's time to take them to the gig.

My ES-330 has been hanging on the wall for at least 20 years with no apparent problem.

I live in Florida (humid) and don't use air conditioning (I don't know if that makes a difference)

Insights and incites by Notes ?

The guitars I play regularly ALWAYS stay out on stands for easy and quick access. There may be four guitars out, most in the dedicated music room, but always one on a stand in the living room.

As for getting dusty, the more you play them, the less dust that will accumulate, and when packing for a gig I just give them a quick wipe down and pack 'em up. As for accidental damage, sure it's a possibility, but so is getting hit by a bus.

The biggest non-normal wear and tear to guard against is UV damage from direct sunlight. Stands are easy enough to move out of the sun, but keep this in mind when mounting wall hangers.

There is also the inevitable probability of damage to a guitar that is locked up in it's case, from off-gassing of case glue, paint, lacquer, and plastic. Fresh air is never a bad thing.

So, no, I don't think leaving a guitar on a stand or wall hanger is a bad idea. In fact, I'd just bet you'll play more when all you have to do is reach over and grab a guitar. I think everyone should always keep at least one guitar out for this reason, even if it's a beater.

Archived