Gibson Brands Forums

J-100 Xtra

modoc_333

ok, so i'm going to buy one. i have known her for years and the owner is FINALLY looking to get rid of her. i absolutely LOVE this guitar. it will be a nice compliment to my MC SJ and my AJ. show the love! who has these things?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had one way back in 1996. It was my first Gibby and had mahogany back and sides... great guitar! I wish I still had it. Gibson loves to change up the specs to the J-100 and so it's hard to keep up with what they're doing nowadays with it. Put some pics up once you get her!

thanks guys! i'm getting pumped. the one in question is a mid 2000s bubinga model. i can hardly contain myself! i have to sell a guitar to get it though. that's not a problem b/c i was going to sell it anyway. the problem is that it's sort of a hard one to move. worth plenty of cash, just needs the right buyer. hopefully, the plans i made to today will pay off and she will be on to her new home this week. i'm unloading a '72 Medallion series Firebird V. cool guitar, i just don't play it enough and would get a lot more enjoyment out of the J100 and the extra cash!

edit to add: i just noticed the firebird is in my avatar! LOL. i guess i will need a new pic if i sell it. :-

• 2 weeks later...

i got her today! it was like meeting back with a long lost friend. i wish i could have bought this guitar when i first saw it, but i'm glad to have it now. i will take some pics tomorrow and post them. the burled (nearly quilted) babinga back and sides make me insane! lol the sound is amazing!

I've had mine since 2001; got in when it was just several months old (maple sides/back). I cannot imagine ever falling out of love with it. It's evenly balanced, whether strumming or finger-picking, and it capos beautifully.

Sure, it's pretty to look at, but it's even lovelier to hold.

Enjoy!

post-24784-062616800 1282362484_thumb.jpg

How exciting! Don't you just love getting a new guitar? It's like the best toy in the world and you can play with it all night, trying your old fav songs on it and getting new ideas of songs that'll sound good on it. We're happily awaiting pictures!

AnneS, welcome to the forum! I can feel the estrogen level on the board tilting a bit towards my end. Hope you stick around =D>

I plan to! Thanks for the welcome. [smile]

Like I always say (and my teenage daughters can attest): it all comes down to a girl and her guitar.

(Nothing wrong with a boy and his guitar, of course.)

Ok, here she is.... and YES she sounds as great as she looks.

first, the background.

i have worked for a Gibson dealer for a few years. this guitar was hanging on our wall when i was hired. i loved it. i was waiting to see how much my first commision pay check would be before purchasing. i was already in love though. one day, a customer came in and started looking at it. i started sweating! lol. i did everything i could to turn him onto another guitar but it did no good. he bought it. this guy and his brother ended up being very good and loyal customers of mine over the years. he has always known that i would want the guitar if he ever decided to sell it. he is usually the type who keeps them all for life though. so, my hopes were low. he is also the type who ABSOLUTELY babies them though. so, i knew that if i ever got my chance, it would be as good as new (or better!). well, he finally decided he is a rosewood-only man. this time, he wanted a J45 Custom to go with his HD28. the J100 had to go. i was so happy to get the call! she is everything i remember. the tone is to die for. she plays beautifully. and that look! most J100s have very straight and plain grain to the bubinga back and sides. not this one though! the back and sides are.... well.... i will let the pics speak for themselves! first, is a pic of the front, then the (money shot) back, then sitting on the couch with her sisters. they are a 2007 MC Southern Jumbo, and a 2010 Advanced Jumbo. i think those 3 are different enough to round out the collection nicely. :) so, here they are:

IMG00106-20100820-0209.jpg

IMG00109-20100820-0210.jpg

IMG00111-20100820-0213.jpg

let me know what you think! btw, the pic of the back.... it is actually symetrical in person if viewed straight on. this pic was taken at a slight angle which shows just how 3D the back is. it bounces and waves as you move the guitar and look at it from different angles! the top also is symetrical. i never see those light streaks in person! just a nice, even, dark amber!

Very nice Modoc, that back is beautiful! The Mahogany back on my 94, is stained quite dark, and is quite plain to be honest, but what a tone my guitar has.

I am pleased you got the guitar eventually, the J-100 Xtra`s take some beating, no matter what the wood combinations.

Steve.

Archived