Gibson Brands Forums

J-100 Xtra

modoc_333

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I plan to! Thanks for the welcome. [smile]

Like I always say (and my teenage daughters can attest): it all comes down to a girl and her guitar.

(Nothing wrong with a boy and his guitar, of course.)

Welcome to the Gibson Forum AnnS!

My 16 year old daughter just passed her drivers test yesterday!!! Now she can drive her 15 year old brother to hockey practice!!! Woo Hoo...... [thumbup]

She is also the ONLY guitar playing kid I have out of 3 boys and her. The boys are all DRUMMERS!! [cursing]

Anyway, I have to agree.... It does all come down to a girl (or boy, or old dude like me! :rolleyes: )

and her guitar....(Here is mine and I hope she keeps it up for years to come!!!)

KaitlinBWLG1.jpg

KaitlinLG1-1.jpg

Thanks for the welcome and the pics. Glad you have one-fourth of your offspring following the true path. Neither of my girls plays, but my 17-yr-old is a mighty nice singer, and I got her to do this with me a couple of weeks ago:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDcgAsjNVCM

[biggrin]

And guess what? I have a '64 LG-1 also! It's the one I learned on, when I was about 7. It was originally my brother's, who took lessons for a bit, but I used to pick it up and look at his chord charts, so it became mine when he went on to other things.

I had the plastic reverse belly bridge replaced about 10 years ago, after a top crack developed. And it was a Gibby VP on an earlier reincarnation of this forum who figured out that an SJ bridge was the best fit and then graciously sent me one, free of charge. (Didn't need to have new holes drilled.) Also had a new, but copied from the original, pickguard made.

Your looks to be in fine shape!

One of my biggest joys with that guitar these days is just opening up the case...the smell gets me every time.

So much to be glad about and thankful for...

• 5 months later...

Hey cool, J-100 fans! I bought mine back in the mid 90s at a place in Clearwater, Florida. I played it a lot in college and once had a TV remote drop on it which put a crack on the top. I brought it to this place, RAUEN GUITARS in Milwaukee and he fixed up the crack and also adjusted it. BEFORE that, I was seriously thinking about selling the old girl. But after this guy worked on it, she hums, baby! I've enclosed some photos. She's sweet!

• 1 month later...

Yeah, cool, J100 fans. Just joined the forum today. Playing mine cruisin' the net and found this forum. Trying to get spec differences is tough.

The 100 alone is all over the board. From Maple-Mahogany-Bubinga-Sitka-Adirondack and who knows what else. All my research says the j100 is maple.

The J-100extra is Mahogany and the customs are bubinga. 150's & 200's?? Have played 'em with other players, switching guitars. specs?? cosmetics I think is the answer. Sound- I'll keep my J100extra-c/custom plain jane. If you're buying, Bubinga is it. imho

The J-100extra is Mahogany and the customs are bubinga. 150's & 200's?? Have played 'em with other players, switching guitars. specs?? cosmetics I think is the answer. Sound- I'll keep my J100extra-c/custom plain jane. If you're buying, Bubinga is it. imho

I had a 2003 J-100xtra. It was maple.

My 2000 J100xtra has maple back & sides (dark walnut finish w/slight sunburst on sides), natural top, mahogany neck, black binding, fully visible abalone rosette (not partially hidden by pickguard), inlaid logo & crown, dot markers, and it is very light in weight. Used to own a '96 with mahogany back & sides, but the neck was a brick! The specs on this model have changed so many times in the last decade alone, I don't know if anyone could accurately spit out all the info. Suffice to say, an awful lot of them sound better than a J200!

Gibson introduced them in 1939. They were the same spec. as the SJ-200 except they were mahogany back and sides. For all you mahogany nuts out there, and there are a few, this is the ultimate. Someone mentioned that Gibson is all over the place with this model and that is correct. All the body dimensions are the same as the J-200 but the wood combos are everywhere. Gibson Montana even made a rosewood version. My personal opinion is that the Bubinga and Rosewood versions are superior in volume and sustain to the maple. They are dangerous guitars and the should have been sold with a product warning and earplugs. "This product may cause ear damage due to high volume output".

The Mahoganies are a big rich full sounding guitar that I can only describe as thick and sweet as honey. I have two: a '91 and a '94. I had the '94 built with a Red Spruce top and it is an amazing guitar.

The Bubinga is a beauty and you are lucky to have had the second chance to own it. Congrats.

I also have seen 100extras that were maple. That's just info Gibson and other's ran down to me. Have seen so many variations. That abalone rosette is so sweet ! Mines just the b/w/b/w. Bought it new in '95 as a centennial overrun. 1 of 25 built in Boseman. (as I was told, again by Gibson,dealers,ect). It's been identified as Bubinga back, Mahogany sides, sitka top and red spruce bracing. Anyone else have one that was built in 1995 ? I'd be interested to know what your serial # is to see if there is a #26 or higher 1995.

My 94 J-100 Xtra has Mahogany back & sides with a Sitka top, and has really become a favourite of mine. I had the chance to try out another one about a month ago that had Bubinga back & sides, and that guitar I can safely say was amongst the finest Gibson acoustics I have yet played! It had an awesome tone, I will be trying it again this w/end, you can guess where this is leading [biggrin]

Steve.

P.S. My friend has a 93 J-100 Xtra too, and on the inner label of his,it states:- STYLE-A.T.

MODEL-J-100 XTRA.

SERIAL-9xxx3xxx.

What does A.T. stand for?

My 94 J-100 Xtra has Mahogany back & sides with a Sitka top, and has really become a favourite of mine. I had the chance to try out another one about a month ago that had Bubinga back & sides, and that guitar I can safely say was amongst the finest Gibson acoustics I have yet played! It had an awesome tone, I will be trying it again this w/end, you can guess where this is leading [biggrin]

Steve.

P.S. My friend has a 93 J-100 Xtra too, and on the inner label of his,it states:- STYLE-A.T.

MODEL-J-100 XTRA.

SERIAL-9xxx3xxx.

What does A.T. stand for?

The letters AT are Gibson speak for Antique Walnut stained back and sides and a natural top. It seems that some silly person at Gibson thought that natural Mahogany doesn't look very good so they decided to color it with the darker Walnut stain. If you want to see the true beauty of the wood just take a look in the sound hole.

Speaking of Antique Walnut, my '00 J100xtra in maple has this stain on the back & sides. Because the guitar has black binding, the overall effect makes it look smaller than a jumbo body with white binding & natural finish, until you get them side by side. Although I generally prefer a natural finish, I've grown to really like the look of this guitar. Even visually preferring it to my now departed J150 with flame maple.

Bubinga IS awesome for all around tone. Glad to hear others think so too. They did put that dark stain finish on back and sides of mine also. ?? don't get why, but the sound is there and that's what we want. I don't know how some people can sell there J100's for $1400 or so. You can't replace the sound for that price. I've had mine for 16 years now and hate to say it, but age is making it a little big to handle anymore. Anyone familiar with the Robert Johnson blues king? Sound wise I mean. Anywhere near the tones of J100's ? Enjoy them all

Bubinga IS awesome for all around tone. Glad to hear others think so too. They did put that dark stain finish on back and sides of mine also. ?? don't get why, but the sound is there and that's what we want. I don't know how some people can sell there J100's for $1400 or so. You can't replace the sound for that price. I've had mine for 16 years now and hate to say it, but age is making it a little big to handle anymore. Anyone familiar with the Robert Johnson blues king? Sound wise I mean. Anywhere near the tones of J100's ? Enjoy them all

TOTALLY different sound. the RJ is very cool... but they aren't aiming for the same thing. not even the same ballpark.

Good info. Thank you. I haven't had opportunity to play an RJ blues king. Been looking for a small body like-000 martin om size, but I'm Gibson all the way. Have played many Martins & owned a few. Can't say anything bad about them, they are Great guitars. But, their not a Gibson. Anyone have any other suggestions for small body Gibsons ? sure would appreciate any thoughts/ideas. No Gibson dealers where I live.

Went to try the Bubinga backed J-100 Xtra again over at Frailers in Runcorn yesterday, and it had been sold :( . Oh well it was probably agood thing at the end of the day, as I had only just bought a 62 Texan last month! Tried most of their other Gibson`s whilst I was there, but wasn`t grabbed by any of those, however there was a very nice Guild D-50 Bluegrass Jubilee there, and a lovely sounding Larrivee SD-50, just a shame I didn`t get on with it`s neck profile. My friend traded in his 65 Epiphone Caballero for a very nice Larrivee D-05MT (Mahogany top).

Steve.

Went to try the Bubinga backed J-100 Xtra again over at Frailers in Runcorn yesterday, and it had been sold :( . Oh well it was probably agood thing at the end of the day, as I had only just bought a 62 Texan last month! Tried most of their other Gibson`s whilst I was there, but wasn`t grabbed by any of those, however there was a very nice Guild D-50 Bluegrass Jubilee there, and a lovely sounding Larrivee SD-50, just a shame I didn`t get on with it`s neck profile. My friend traded in his 65 Epiphone Caballero for a very nice Larrivee D-05MT (Mahogany top).

Steve.

As newbie (FNG) This is a test to see if I am replying correctly....please excuse

If it works, I'll write what to say. Thanks in advance

As newbie (FNG) This is a test to see if I am replying correctly....please excuse

If it works, I'll write what to say. Thanks in advance

OK...that worked, frenchie1281734003 - I briefly described my J100-c w/ pic. It's not for sale. I can't replace it. 1 of 25 made. It's #25. But as I wrote previously, the jumbo is getting to be too big for me to handle ( I've even got into ukes in the last few years for that reason. (will send pic). I am willing to trade my extra for a smaller body Gibson though. Of coarse "The Kind", right?.... If you haven't tried ukes in your collection...haha they are a smile machine. [thumbup]

Archived