Gibson Brands Forums

Having a Guitar Shipped

Boyle06

My Uncle is giving me a couple of guitars he has had since the 60's. (I wish they were Gibsons, but unfortunately they are Martins). He lives out in California and I am in Ohio, I was wondering what advice some of you could give me on the best way to get them shipped: Is there a shipper that is better than others? How should they be packed up? What should I watch out for.

He is giving me this instruments as long as I pay for the shipping and I really want to do it right.

Thank You for any advice all of you can give me.

The other folks pretty well nailed it.

I'm assuming they're in cases. That's a big plus, and some extra packing inside the case, as with very light foam or whatever, also is a good idea.

Insurance is mandatory - and have Unk photograph the guitars and cases before they're sent off, perhaps even showing a shipping tag, prior to shipping. That way it's harder for whomever to claim the instruments were damaged before.

It's frightening. Six, seven years ago I sent my Country Artist to the Ovation "factory" for warranty repair. When it came back there was a half-inch hole in the cardboard box and a deep half-inch gouge punched into the case that luckily didn't pierce into the guitar. I still can't figure what did it.

And I'm not sure that Tman didn't actually have a better idea to drive out there.

m

One trick Fret.com touches on is securing the headstock. He recommends stuffing packing under, around and over the headstock very tightly. Possibly tightly enough to make the lid hard to close. Newspapers is what he recommended.

This is because, while the case may be padded the headstock could snap off if the whole works is dropped... unless it is made absolutely immovable.

De-string it too.

My Uncle is giving me a couple of guitars he has had since the 60's. (I wish they were Gibsons' date=' but unfortunately they are Martins). He lives out in California and I am in Ohio, I was wondering what advice some of you could give me on the best way to get them shipped: Is there a shipper that is better than others? How should they be packed up? What should I watch out for.

He is giving me this instruments as long as I pay for the shipping and I really want to do it right.

Thank You for any advice all of you can give me.[/quote']

i use DHL over here in london for shipping guitars, first i go to halfords bike/car store and get an empty bicycle box then put the guitar in (in the hardcase) and fill the box out with screwed up newspaper and parcel tape the box up...then go online to dhl and enter the measurements/weight and they come and collect and deliver, never took out insurance and never had any problems with delivery [biggrin]

Drive all the way there' date=' put them in your trunk, then drive back. Mission accomplished! [biggrin']

If it's feasible, this is what I would do. I want PRS (in Maryland) to install a set of 57/08 pickups in my Private Stock McCarty. The guitar cost me a mint and I don't want to ship it. Trying to see if I can arrange a specific date right now and drive the guitar down.

Archived