Gibson Brands Forums

Inquiry--Epiphone vs. Gibson...price/performance/playability...why the gap?

primeguy31

I check my yahoo page for the weather,there's Brittany.

I try to unwind with a little David Letterman,there's Brittany.

I log on to my favorite guitar forum......

Uh you get the gist.

At least as you point out,my guitar doesn't pick up Brittany....yet.

So do you think we'll get thru the Superbowl without.....

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To everyone that has to add a *oh noes, not again* to this thread get over it. New people, new foum and it's going to be discussed. If the thread gets your panties in a bunch don't open it, the title is abundantly clear.

• 2 weeks later...

hey guys, i'm back...sorry its been a while since i posted in my own thread.

lots of good opinions and facts in here, thanks!!

i actually bought a Gibson LP in the Zebrawood (guitar of the week #19 from last year), was doing some side-by-side comparisons, and i actually like my Epi better. the Gibby is gorgeous, but the tone is a bit warm for my taste, like the mid is turned too high on my amp or something. i like more bite. it would be awesome in the hands of a blues player, (or someone who just knows how to play, lol) though, but i'm just not that good.

i really did notice the difference in the feel, though...somehow the Gibby feels like it's going to play you, instead of you playing it, know what i mean? like coasting down a hill instead of pedaling on a flat...it just lets you go--so easy and comfortable. maybe i'm nuts, but this was my first Gib in my hands....

i'd probably be more comfy with a GLP standard or the like, so i'm selling the Zebra. anyone interested? i can email pics, etc, since posting pics here is a bit of a hassle. just let me know at primeguy31@yahoo.com and we can work something out.

i gotta say i'm real impressed with my Epi LP Classic...my $400 axe held up to the Gibby! --at least in my clumsy hobbyist's hands...lol

There's nothing wrong with Squier. Unfortunately I don't have a pic kicking around of my Squier JV P-Bass... she's pretty choice. But I do have a Strat and a Tele...

stratUSpus.jpg

tele2.jpg

But I have to be honest, that $265 Fender case really makes the Squier Strat look good.

actual difference: Epiphone will slap together random pieces of mahogany, or possibly mahogany and a few chunks of alder; glue it together; laminate it; and call it a "solid mahogany body" (well, it's solid, mostly mahogany, and a body).

Gibson will find a big *** piece of mahogany and mill a guitar body out of it in one piece.

The difference between a Gibson and an Epiphone? If you are talking about a vintage Epiphone (made in the USA), well I'd take the Epiphone. If you are talking about most Epiphones made from the late 60s until now, well I'd have to say that the difference is like night and day. Epiphone became Gibson's import line of cheap guitars.

It's mainly because there's a market for $5000 Les Pauls and a market for $500 Les Pauls. And since there was a hug gap, and Les Pauls are pretty tough to improve upon, Gibson gave us the

Elitist Series in the middle at $1500-$2000. Now we have a Les Paul for every budget-level. Think of it as GOOD, BETTER, BEST.

What I think Gibson/Epiphone is missing, are new models - How about a Firebird with a finish on it for less than $1500? How about a 335, for $500-$600 (vs. $400) with a couple more featues?

How about some all-together new electrics other than 335s, SGs and LesPauls? How about something like that new Epi PinStriped 335, without the pinstripe, but 2 pickups? Maybe in some

nice retro Burgundy & Natural finishes? How about an evolution of the LesPaul, like PRS did with their single-cut? I think Epiphone does a great job with their LesPaul range. Comparatively weak in the SG and 335 ranges, and almost nothing in new designs altogether. How about a Riviera in the real colors it was sold in, in the 60s & 70s, in the $600 price range? Not too many guys have $2-3

grand burning a hole in their pocket for a Gib-335. What happened to the 333? That was a nice

guitar, but it's gone from the range. Or how about that P-100 Orville model that was offered in trans red? What a nice guitar! I think it was a Les Paul Special. Epiphone could do some nice things

with those model types.

Or how about the Epi Del Rey model? They could have done some nice things developing that model into a nice product range. The set-neck LesPaul Junior in TV finishes. It comes and goes, but never seems to stay in the line long enough to find one.

Look at what ESP did with their "SG-Type" guitars - I can't recall what they're called, but they're very nice. Heavier than an SG, better balanced. Price points are right ($300-600). Same with their

LesPaul-type models. Some nice models with good pickups in the $500-800 range. This is the price range that Epiphone has some room to maneuver in, but stays away from so they don't interfere with the lines on either-side of the price points. They're afraid of taking sales away from the higher-margin Gibsons. I suppose this is what the Elitist products wee designed to address. And they are very good, no dispute.

I've always wondered why Gibson/Epiphone fooled around with headstock shapes on the same models. Why not make an SG an SG? Why not just change the name on the headstock? An SG

should have a bound neck, like the original SGs had, regardless of whether its made in China or Nashville. Fender doesn't use different headstock shapes on Squiers. It's alwys seemed silly to me.

But, that being said, I like that Epiphone is doing some new things, and offering more options for their core designs. I like the Elitist program. It's a lot more than they've done in many years, and

it brings some terrific products to us players that would be otherwise out-of-reach. Ever play an

Elitist Sheraton? Wow.....what an unbelievable guitar. So, rather than be critical, I have to congraulate Epi for doing some great things over the past 5 years. More than I've seen them do in the past 40. Keep up the good work, but don't be afraid to wander outside the box a bit. It's OK.

My 2 cents......I intentionally read this entire thread and still, for me it all comes down to what you are really looking for. Someone said, If Clapton played such and such cheapy, he'd still make it sing. (or words to that effect). Tongue-in-cheek, If its plastic and it works for you. VOILA. I've had 6 or so Gibby LP's (my fave GLP Studio was stolen), but by choice I sold 'em or traded 'em off. BUT, I've kept my Epi LP and it'll be in my Will to one of my boys.........J

Interesting position, but that's not the point. Epiphone mass produces guitars for the masses. And there's only one Eric Clapton. So, really what he can make sing really isn't relevant, since he doesn't buy guitars based on a price/performance basis. He just buys them. What (I think) was

being discussed here, is the deliniation between prices and features of the top-end Gibsons through the Epiphone range. Although I agree with you on Clapton's skills, I'll bet he doesn't own too many Epiphones. Maybe a few (real) old ones.

Interesting position' date=' but that's not the point. Epiphone mass produces guitars for the masses. And there's only one Eric Clapton. So, really what he can make sing really isn't relevant, since he doesn't buy guitars based on a price/performance basis. He just buys them. What (I think) was

being discussed here, is the deliniation between prices and features of the top-end Gibsons through the Epiphone range. Although I agree with you on Clapton's skills, I'll bet he doesn't own too many Epiphones. Maybe a few (real) old ones.[/quote']

PJ - You're right, I'm a bit off the topic, BUT I guess the point for me is, I'd much rather spend $3k for an Epi that suits my taste, rather than spend $1K for the same model Gibby because, "it is better quality" and doesn't give me what I want. I just really appreciate Epiphone......By the way, I just talked with EC. He told me to tell you hello and that he loves his new Dot with the black nut. lol ...........J

Ji-PI.....no offense intended or taken. I have to admit, I have more Fenders than Epiphones or Gibsons. But I do have some, that I like a lot. Having a 38 y/o old Fender in my closet, with a bunch of additional Mex Teles (the upper-grade types), I've come to appreciate how close to the originals that are worth thousands today, Fender has gotten with their "offshore" (off-border) production. Same guitars, same headstocks, aiming at as-close-as-possible performance in the $600-700 range. Quite an accomplishment. I'm not surprised that Clapton has some Mexican-made Fenders. They're very good. They don't have cheap nuts or pickups, maybe a warped pcikguard here and there, but nothing too tough to fix. Every guitar maker can take a lesson from them. They've preserved the good things abut their vintage models, while getting a ton of cost out of them, to appeal to the masses. I'll bet their unit volume has skyrocketed since they opened the Mexico operations. I hope Epiphone can get the same results from their China plant. From what I've seen, the China products look terrific. Much better than what I'd seen in the past. The frets are better, the necks are nicer, the finish work improved. Seeing the high qty of 2nds out there makes me believe their quality dept. isn't letting anything that isn't up to par out the door. So, I'm looking for the right model to put some Epiphone dollars on, now. Just not sure which way to go.

In one of the new Guitar magazines there is a looooong article on Epiphone. The CEO basically says that Epi is not trying to make the best guitar in the world. They're trying to make the best guitar for the money. I see that and it makes sense to me.

All this talk about which is better would not be happening, IMO, if the Epiphones didn't look like the Gibsons. If they had their own body shape and hardware designs then nobody would spend the time comparing the two. But they do look identical from a distance.

I think the bottom line is this: if you play both and can't tell a difference, then you should buy the Epi. If you can tell a small difference, you should probably buy the Epi. If you can tell a big difference and it's the Gibson you like, then buy the Gibson.

There's something out there for everyone so just enjoy! :-k/

In a perfect world, if something is twice as good, it should cost twice as much... Not FIVE TIMES as much... However, we don't live in a perfect world.. Are Gibsons better than Epiphones? Of course they are.. Does that mean Epiphones are shoddy, junk guitars? Of course not... Why do Gibsons cost so much?? Because people are willing to pay that much.

Any other questions?

the best guitar is the one you just can't put down.i love gibsons they a wonderful,i love epi's too they truly both kick it the epi's for the price i think are one of the finest guitars you can get.for example the lower priced i***Z guitars are noware near the quility as the epi,same true with the p*s vs.th se.quite a big bang for the buck i say.

Lerxst is right-on. So long as there are folks willing to spend $5K on a LesPaul or $4K on a 335, they'll be made. And if there weren't a surplus of customers, PRS would not have survived. But, they

flourished, selling Gibson knock-offs, with slightlydifferent body shapes, named after Gibson's former president, and (it appears) there's been a market for those, as well.

JEPI....I might grab a Dot sometime soon, but it won't have a black plastic nut on it very long! It'll

most likely get some real pickups in it, as well. It is a nice box for the money, though.

I think I'd either seek out a pair of Gibson PAFs, of the 60s vintage reissue type, or Duncans. They should work out fine. Nickel caps, of course. I really don't have much experience with any of the new-wave pickups. Only the gear that's a little grey. like me.

Archived