Gibson Brands Forums

String preferences?

thunderstruck507

I used to play D'Addarios since I got them in bulk packs cheap, then switched to GFS boomers since Walmart had them for $3.99 a pack. All were 9s.

I recently got a free set of Earnie Ball Slinkies from Guitar Center with a coupon they put out in the university paper.

Had them a while and finally put them on my LP. For some reason they felt like they were easier to bend even though they were the same gauge.

Tonight and played them back to back with the GFS on my SG, and they indeed do seem to bend easier and smoother...but I'm debating if its really the strings or maybe since I play the LP so much more often anymore, maybe the frets are just smoother sincethe ones on the SG look a little more dull in comparison.

Anyone have any insight as to whether its more in my head or not?

Either way I like the strings, had never tried them because a friend had complained about them not staying in tune on his strat back in high school.

i've been a slinky fan all my playing days 30+ tried all the others always came back to the ernies.they stretch good and sound the best'i think.gfs seem too metally/tinny.but do hold up longer.but i change my strings every couple of weeks,couse i play out almost every weekend.there is no better tone then a fresh set of eb's as i here it.pure wound nickel heaven.

thunder - Try this at least once.......Ernie Ball, (EB)11, .14, .18p, .26, .36 and .46... A hybrid of the current EB Power Slinky set. Don't let the .11 and .14 freak you. With practice, you can bend 'em where you want 'em and find that you'll have balls to your leads. I used this set for years performing and still use it at home..........J

I tried some larger strings before, even all the way up to the Zakk Wylde set fromGFS and just didn't feel the compromise on any of them was worth it.

I can deal with 10s pretty well, but I use a compressor sustainer as my only pedal, between that and the marshall tube roar there's definately not much lacking in the sound for solo punch.

But I might try another set of EB 10s anyway...

I'm using Ernie Ball regular slinky ( 10-46 ) on all my guitars since... I can't remember. The only other brand I can take if for any reason I missed EB is Dean Markley's. And my gutars are quite different in style...An Ultra Epiphone Les Paul, a Hagstrom Viking and a Fender Telecaster. All 3 respond very well to EB.

Big Norm

I use D'Addario 9.5s pn most of my electrics. They work nicely for slide, chording and for lead-work. A couple of my guitars use 10s, but if you haven't tried the 9.5-44 D'Addarrio XLs, you;re in for a treat. It might not sound like a big difference, but that half-thousandth makes a big difference to feel and much better tone over 9s.

I'm using Fender Nickelplated steel Super Bullets, 0.010". I bought them not realizing what a super bullet end was, but I installed them anyways on my Guild S-300 electric, which is a mahogany guitar. They really brighten up the sound. I like them so far. Next time I'll buy the correct ball end type (Super 250R's) for it and my Les Paul as well.

DR 9.5's on my Strat and PRS. Got a set of Gibson Vintage Reissue 10's for my next LP string change. Curious as to how they feel vs the Brite Wire 10's that are on it now.

But in all honesty, I'm still new enough to playing that I can't really feel or hear that much of a difference anyway.

D'Addario XL .010-.046 gauge for my electric.

For the acoustic' date=' no brand preference. Just an extra-light gauge.[/quote']

I've been using Martin Marquis on my acoustic for years, but I was recently talked into trying some Dean Markley somethingorother... They came highly recommended by the owner of this little music shop I checked out recently... She gave me a break on the price to try them out.. Haven't changed strings yet, so I can't say what they sound like..

I prefer heavier strings on my acoustic.. Used 13's for the longest time... Just recently stepped it down to 12's...

I prefer heavier strings on my acoustic.. Used 13's for the longest time... Just recently stepped it down to 12's...

I understand the merits of heavier strings, but I've got weak hands as is and I'd like to be able to peform bends every once and again.

I just picked up a 6 pack of daddarios 9s with pint glass cheap, so now with a fresh set on the SG the comparison is more fair. The slinkies seem to have a slightly warmer tone, but that is mostly accented by LP vs SG.

They still do seem to bend just a slight bit easier...but its very hard to tell.

Guess I'll just get whichever are cheapest *shrugs*

Previously I've been big a big elixer fan. I have 14s on my acoustic and 11s on my Dot. They're expensive, but the coating lets them last enough to save $$ in the end.

Lately though (since I got my LP) I've been more into the mood of changing strings frequently to try different things. Last week I had EB regular slinky and this week I have D'addario 10s. For me I think I can bend the D'addarios better than the ernie ball strings, but it could be my imagination. I like the D'addarios, so I think I'll switch to them since they're pretty cheap in bulk

I also bought a set of .011 chromes (flat-wound) for my dot - I want to try out that nice mellow tone.

I play with GHS (not GFS) Boomers in size 10. They work for me.

I was lucky enough to tour the headquarters of Dean Markley a few years ago. I randomly ran across he office as I was making sales calls in the area, and decided to take a break from work to go in. They were super nice and very welcoming to my unscheduled visit. They showed me their entire operation, explained their strings to me. While giving me the tour, the guy implied that the make up of the strings makes the difference, and most strings are made by the same manufacturer. I don't know how true this is and even if it is, I still think I can feel a difference.

Oh well, just useless information.

Thank you,

Doth

I use D'Addario XL .009s on my solid bodies and .010s on my Semis. On my acoustic I like Martin Marquis - Medium. I used Dean Markleys on my acoustics for years and I really liked them, but after getting my Martin D19 I tried the Marquis and they just seemed to bring the guitar to life bettter for me. On my classicals I use Augustine Silver/Blacks.

D'Addario XL .009 on strat-type. .010 on Les Paul type guitars

Big fan of SRV an ZW, so I've contemplated 013 for a while to feel more manly. Decided I will try 008 next instead. Billy Gibbons can't be wrong. And he has the Biggest Baddest Ballsiest sound ever! I allready nicked his reverse string over tailpiece and peso trick, so why the heck not eh?

Archived