Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Knob Replacement How To

volt1281734017

When I bought my Epi Les Paul recently I loved the ebony finish but the volume/tone knobs being amber detracted greatly from the guitar's appearance IMO. I wanted to replace them with black knobs. With help on this forum I was directed to Stewart-MacDonald (thank you!) for the proper metric (18-spline - that fit coarse-knurled pot shafts) knobs.

I bought four "bell" type knobs, and four "speed" type knobs (0554-B Speed Knob - Black).

http://www.stewmac.com/

I removed the old knobs by wrapping a string once around the knob so the string ends are 180 degrees away from each other, then I worked the knob back and forth by pulling up alternately and gently on each end of the string until the old knob popped off.

Here are the results of my knob replacement. I used the speed knobs. Some will like 'em, some won't. I like 'em. :-

BeforeAfter.jpg

EDIT: The bell knobs don't fit, but the Speed knobs do.

Here are the results of my knob replacement. I used the speed knobs. Some will like 'em' date=' some won't. I like 'em. default_eusa_wall.gif

I converted my Epi LP Custom pots to push-pull, then found that the original speed knobs on the

splines on the push-pull tone pots didn't stand up..they cracked in the centre and

started to split on me. I ordered a replace set of black speed knobs but found a

nice $5 set of Radio Shack black knobs with brass inserts/set screws that fit the shafts.

They are very rugged, have a polished aluminum center with a white indicator line.

Ok, I don't have the numbers like on the speed knobs, but I don't really use the numbers

on the knobs anyway, as I set the volume/tone by ear to my preferences.

Much better look... Speed knobs on a black LP always look appropriate.. As was mentioned in another thread, they use those amber knobs on everything! Whether it looks good or not! I hate 'em on my cherry Dot! Gonna get speed knobs too... Then again... Back in the day, the 335 had black reflector-top knobs too... Hmmmmm.....

When I bought my Epi Les Paul recently I loved the ebony finish but the volume/tone knobs being amber detracted greatly from the guitar's appearance IMO. I wanted to replace them with black knobs. With help on this forum I was directed to Stewart-MacDonald (thank you!) for the proper metric (18-spline - that fit coarse-knurled pot shafts) knobs.

I bought four "bell" type knobs (1194-B Bell Knob - Black)' date=' and four "speed" type knobs (0554-B Speed Knob - Black).

http://www.stewmac.com/

I removed the old knobs by wrapping a string once around the knob so the string ends are 180 degrees away from each other, then I worked the knob back and forth by pulling up alternately and gently on each end of the string until the old knob popped off.

Here are the results of my knob replacement. I used the speed knobs. Some will like 'em, some won't. I like 'em. :D

[img']http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f223/longtall/BeforeAfter.jpg[/img]

I bought four chrome knurled Tele knobs from GFS.

They look great on a black guitar.

I added these Gold Speed Knobs to the LP+ the day I got it.

My method was: putting a dry washcloth over the old knobs and gently rocking them sideways until they pulled up.

To get the 'All Parts' knobs on ($5 set) I had to use the cloth with a rubber hammer ever so slightly tapping on the very center of the speedknob and WATCHING MY EVERY MOVE. After seeing what some forumite somewhere did by hammering his pot through the cap it makes you just that much more careful.

guits026.jpg

Looks good!

I was pleasantly surprised how easily three out of four of the knobs came off using the string trick I used........that I learned from searching on the 'net. I had read a few horror stories about some people pulling the shafts out of their pots while attempting to remove the knobs.

Update

DO:

Only the Speed Knobs (0554-B) have fit my potentiometer shafts! I bought the black ones but I suspect gold and amber will be the same.

DON'T:

I have bought both black and gold Bell knobs from them and even though they appear to be for the 18-spline/coarse type pot shafts, the diameter is too small for the pots on my Epiphones. Don't waste any money on them.

I even left them a note in my order to be sure the knobs are for large diameter shafts. They still didn't get it right.

:-k

• 2 weeks later...

Great topic, volt. I too have the ebony LP, and I too think the knobs are out of place. I plan to replace them, but maybe not until later. I play mostly classic rock and metal, so I plan to eventually replace the pickups with EMG 81/85's (which as you know are black). When I do that, I will also change to black speed knobs and probably a black pickguard and switch. That would make it an all black guitar except for the binding.

Can't wait...

I like the black speed knobs on that guitar for sure.

I swapped my studios black knobs for amber.. matched the sunburst perfectly.

my sheri has gold tele dome knobs.

these come in metric, and some knobs come with set screws, and some have inserts.

I like heavy knobs.. metal is my fave.

but I use both.

choice is great. *s*

• 5 years later...

Hi All, I have just replaced my control knobs on my 70's tribute goldtop with gold ones having found out that the price for the original whitch hat ones that came with the guitar are £105.00!!! i looked on various sites for them and all state that price or there abouts,must say it looks awesome with gold ones instead of black ones and they only cost £6.75 [thumbup] including postage

Hello Beepster, and welcome to this nice place. [thumbup]

Witch Hat knobs are a bit scarce since they are not so common, and they charge an arm and a leg for them if you locate some. Did you go with Top Hat or Speed knobs?

Hi all, on a related matter....if anyone can help I would be grateful.

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Prophecy GX and I want to remove the volume and tone knobs to change for chrome (currently gold), the tone knob comes off fine but the volume knob which also pulls for coil split will not come off. Anyone got any idea how I can remove it? its a metal knob with an abalone top. no screw to loosen that i can see.

Cheers folks

Mr G

Mr.G,

358.gif

As to knobs I only know of two types. Screw held and Press on.

Gibson uses split shaft Imperial fine-knurled spline (press on)

Epiphone uses split shaft coarse-knurled spline. (press on)

As both are split shaft the tightness can be controlled with a screwdriver to open or a pair of pliers to close the split.

It was explained earlier in the post how to remove them. Some use a string. Some use a rag. Some use a shoelace,

Like this:

Be Warned!!!

Push/pull pots can have a problem. Pull too hard and you can pull out the shaft.

Push too hard (as in putting knobs back on) and you can push the back casing right out of the pot.

Good luck,

Willy

Archived