Gibson Brands Forums

Wah pedal?

Naradien

my friend who died (his intials are carved into my studio [see avitor)) modded my dunlop cry baby wah

on the inside, if you change the gear ratios you can get the classic crybaby sound, but with greater range, and a less sudden change in treble tone

its bad-***, seriously its more rare then the ONLY 12string SG in the world

#-o

just not as valuble

I'm sorry dude' date=' I don't mean to be rude or anything...but that's a very stupid question. Something that could have been answered by just walking into your local music store and looking at a pedal.

I'm sure I ask the occasional stupid question too, but some of these are plain retarded! Same with that other thread about having a loose pup selector switch...come one man, you can't put 2 & 2 together and just tighten the damn thing? Sorry again, I'm just venting. Not to worry, I'm sure this thread will be deleted as soon as the mods see it.[/quote']

Hey man cool off[-x He's probably new to playing the guitar, and you have to be patient with newbies.O:)

Just saying this because the clerk at my local Guitar Center is a total J*****S and would give a hell of a lot of crap when I asked a question because I was a newbie. To say at the least he got fired when the store manager saw him giving me a hard time.O:)

I use a Morley Power/Wah/Volume.

+1 on built like a tank

Silverbursted: When I added the LP, I had to tweak my EQ across the board for using the Morley but get a really good sound now.

I use a Chandler Tube Driver for my OD. Hands down one of the best tones I have ever gotten.

since we are on the topic of pedals...any suggestions for an overdrive pedal. Don't want to spend more than a 100. I was on ebay and there are so many listed. Since this is a Les Paul forum..I would be using in with a Standard and Epi Valve Junior amp. Would be using it only for home use. I have a couple of young kids and need for the amp to start breaking up at lower volumes.

You spend the dough on good gear otherwise, so why not pay a bit to get a really exceptional overdrive pedal, this is a critical part of your signal chain isn't it? I suffered with the more mainstream pedals for years until I found the maxon OD820. It is the grail of OD pedals.

You put your wah before your overdrive/distortion? I've always put it after the overdrive. Interesting...what is the advantage of doing it ahead of the distortion?

the reason is you want to distort the wah' date=' not the other way around... if you "wah" the distortion, then you end up with too higher highs and mud sounding lows (moving the pedal), and the peaks will give you a lot of noise not comming from the guitar or distortion but from the "wahwed" default_eusa_wall.gif distortion.

Dont know if it makes sense, i used to know the book explanation but now its gone... i have a chart i made a little while ago to teach some guyus recording on the studio that didnt have a clue about FX placing... would you like to see it?

hey guys anyone has tried the boss pw10 wah? i used to own one and regret selling it... it had some wah models, vibrato and distortion... distortions werent that good (only the one emulating the ds1 was good), but it is supposed to be a wah pedal first, the wah models? well 2 were very good, and thats way more than you can say for any other wah pedal...

It worked as a distortion pedal, a wah pedal, a vibrato pedal, and a volume pedal, all this could be selected by pressing the other end of the pedal (rear), and it had 3 memory patches you could edit and save, very useful, but a little out of time i think.

the reason is you want to distort the wah' date=' not the other way around... if you "wah" the distortion, then you end up with too higher highs and mud sounding lows (moving the pedal), and the peaks will give you a lot of noise not comming from the guitar or distortion but from the "wahwed" default_eusa_wall.gif distortion.

Dont know if it makes sense, i used to know the book explanation but now its gone... i have a chart i made a little while ago to teach some guyus recording on the studio that didnt have a clue about FX placing... would you like to see it?

It's all about transforming wave forms and what delivers the most recognizable (to the original) at the speaker, if that jars your memory...

I'd LOVE to see your chart Thunder...

Zakk Wylde Crybaby for a filter a CFH for a wah' date=' a Vox Tonelab LE for my distortion and other FX.[/quote']

I played a Zakk Wah at GC, to me it was just an original with some chrome.

what is the difference?

Really you can place any effect any where in your chian, it just depends how you deal with it after:-$ . Wah's are good up front because they tend to interact with your pick-ups and bring forth some extra character, if you're using it in the traditional baow chika wow waow methods... The further down the chain they get, the less they do this (unless you're true-bypass, un-buffered, short cable run to it).

For example, My Gibson SG doesn't really care where my wah is, first or third in the chain, however my Les Paul with '57 pups does care to have it first in line.

Most people place them before the distortion for reasons of use-ability. Since what ever you pass into the distortion gets compressed, and any thing you do after distortion is quite raw and open you can very quickly see why there is a strong peak in the highs. Applying a filter to the distortion is very useful at times, like an eq. I've used my wah in the FX loop many times, and it can do some amazing things back there, mind you, I'm not "playing" the wah when I do this.

Don't let the hype fool you into what you can do with FX. And don't forget that a cool sounding, noisy (like hums and pops etc) pedal can always be turned off or turned down...

Archived