Gibson Brands Forums

The weight of a Les Paul?

Ricochet

Yes. Gibson has paid more attention to this in the past years, say since 2003, both by more careful wood selection and also by relieving the weight with lightening holes.

The EE guitars seem to be using lighter woods these days... their G-400s are actually in the correct weight range these days.

Ha' date=' ha, ha!!!! It looks like only bassplayers can handle a les Paul! I play bass aswell... My Les Paul Custom Plus weights 10,5 pounds, and yes, the 3" strap is the solution. Problem is that many straps are made of thin leather and the whole weight still hangs on 1 point on your shoulder. My advice: go to a saddle maker and have a strap made out of nice thick leather, so the weight will be devided over the whole 3". This might turn out cheaper than going to a music shop. Besides that, saddlemakers allways have these nice Western buckles and everybody will ask you where you got that cool strap. Besides that: love hurts, and I love my Epi les Paul.[/quote']

Yeah, the strap I use on my Jazz was custom made outta saddle grade leather.. My mother had it made for me as a Christmas gift when I was 15... That was 24 years ago... Now it's all nice and weathered looking... Got some nice tooling.. Nothing too ornate.. Definitely my favorite strap!

my 1983 giby les paul weighs 16 lbs' date=' but part of it is the stock Gibson/kahler trem. on it[/quote']

16 lbs! Holy crap! I don't think a Kahler trem accounts for too much of that weight though.. Maybe a pound or so?

My jazz bass gained about a pound and a half or so when I installed a Badass II bridge and big old vintage-style tuners.. I would think a trem weighs less than a Badass bass bridge.. Maybe about the same?

Yeah' date=' those great old "Gifts from Mom," are hard to beat! I have a Fender "Hot Rod" Deluxe, my Mom bought for me...her last Christmas present

to me, as it turned out...she passed away, that summer, and was 94! So, needless to say, that amp won't be going anywhere, but with me!

CB[/quote']

Yeah, I think that strap is probably my oldest possession... I've lived in various parts of the country and travelled all over with bands, and what-not... I'm surprised I've managed to hang on to it for so long!

LOL....you just hoping it is weighing heavy Twang!

Captmidnight

Shut up!

Oh alright, yeah I am. I hurt my shoulder in gym and had to take a whole year off.. consequently the cookies attacked while I was out of shape.

Just bought a new treadmill though, got my weights set up.. shoulders finally pretty good.

So don't get too cocky!

On this strap business.. you know.. 5 string banjo players have the right idea.. those suckers are heavy..

when I was learning to play one I finally bought a sheepskin lined leather strap and the weight relief was just fantastic. Having that thick pad, as someone has mentioned, helped quite a bit. and nice on the shoulder, too.

Yours truly,

Yes. Gibson has paid more attention to this in the past years' date=' say since 2003, both by more careful wood selection and also by relieving the weight with lightening holes.

The EE guitars seem to be using lighter woods these days... their G-400s are actually in the correct weight range these days.[/quote']

Playing my "EE" LP acoustically it definitely sounds like there is some semi-acousticness going on in there. Probably the lightening holes you mention. For grins I may remove one or both of the pickups next string change and see if I can find any lightening holes or chambers.

I'm still curious about what factory codes are on these heavier LP's. Perhaps a specific thread......

I've never really weighed my 1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom' date=' but I wouldn't be surprised, if it was 14 lbs, or so?

It's Heavy!!

Cb[/quote']

I have an '80 Gibson Custom Les Paul too, Cherry Sunburst, mine weighs in at 11 pounds. I have been using wide padded (2 1/2" to 3") straps with it for years. Really saves on the shoulder.

Probably the lightening holes you mention. For grins I may remove one or both of the pickups next string change and see if I can find any lightening holes or chambers.

I doubt you will see any then. It's my understanding the weight relief holes are made to the mahogany before the maple cap is attached, effectively sealing them forever. I've read reviews on one of the online retailers, where something was trapped and rattling inside one of those chambers. As I recall, it was a Gibson. Whether Epi uses this or not, I don't know. Epi uses different cheaper materials. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the weigh variations.

Archived