Gibson Brands Forums

The weight of a Les Paul?

Ricochet

I have 2 Les Pauls. One is around 3.5Kg/7.5lbs, the other is over 4Kg/10lbs. I find I'm very uncomfortable playing it because of the weight. Every time I play, it feels like a workout. I'm telling myself I should stop being such a wuz but I really think it's too heavy to be functional. I was wondering if I'm the only one in this?

bathroom scale says my epi stud is 11lbs with strap.

It never bothers me though.. played bass too many years.

actually, I kind of like the feel of that weight.

I'm sure the scale is off a bit, too.. weighing heavy.

TWANG

Ha, ha, ha!!!! It looks like only bassplayers can handle a les Paul! I play bass aswell... My Les Paul Custom Plus weights 10,5 pounds, and yes, the 3" strap is the solution. Problem is that many straps are made of thin leather and the whole weight still hangs on 1 point on your shoulder. My advice: go to a saddle maker and have a strap made out of nice thick leather, so the weight will be devided over the whole 3". This might turn out cheaper than going to a music shop. Besides that, saddlemakers allways have these nice Western buckles and everybody will ask you where you got that cool strap. Besides that: love hurts, and I love my Epi les Paul.

My four electrics all weigh about 7 1/2 lbs (measured with my small fish scale). I used to own a Guild Bluesbird that probably weighed around 10 lbs. It was really hurting my shoulder to play it 4-5 hours (when I was in a band). I traded it in on a much lighter Gibson L6-S. I wish I had kept the Bluesbird and bought a wider strap. Nice guitar.

I understand your point very well... I got rid of a few Les Paul for that reason...but since I bought my Ultra...I'm an happy man. So happy that I sold my American Strat to make my LP Ultra my main guitar.

Maybe I should say i've never been a Bassman..lollllll

I just weighed my Epiphone LP Custom. Without the strap it weighs 9.2 lbs.

I dont think these have the weight relief that Gibson employs but I could be wrong.

And as Charlie Brown pointed out a very wide and padded strap can offset a boat anchor guitar and is what I use also.

Les Pauls from the "dark days" of the 70s and early 80s were typically 10 or 11lb.

Because this period is also asscociated with variable quality and unpopular production changes, many folks today think that heavy Les Pauls are no good. It's the current popularity of lighter instruments which has prompted Gibson to introduce weight relief. Players want lighter guitars...so that's what we've got. [Though you might argue that they're really heavy guitars with holes in ;^) ]

I've always liked lighter instruments [be they Les Pauls, Fenders or whatever], but that's just a personal preference.

There are plenty of great sounding heavier instruments.

bathroom scale says my epi stud is 11lbs with strap.

It never bothers me though.. played bass too many years.

actually' date=' I kind of like the feel of that weight.

I'm sure the scale is off a bit, too.. weighing heavy.

TWANG[/quote']

LOL....you just hoping it is weighing heavy Twang!

Captmidnight

My Les Paul clocks in at 10.6lbs, and has given me no small amount of pain on my shoulder the last two weeks. I just got a new strap, so we'll see if that helps. Some days I do wish I'd gone with the G400 instead.

What's the underlying reason for the huge variance in weights? Clearly different woods, but a range from 8 to 11 lbs seems to be huge.

Archived