Gibson Brands Forums

Need your opinion

Bill V

Parallel to strings, but that's just my opinion.

Lift the PU by removing the pickup-ring screws, , and slip a strip of rubber foam in the routing-cavety, bridge side.

Edit: You really don't want any angle with your strings. Optimal PU- height is adjusted in (red)**** hair increments, so the last thing you want is to have different heights for each side of the PU

Hello Brad,

Not quite sure how much difference it makes. I know that sometimes the spring that surrounds the height screw can get tweeked to one side and cause the pickup to lean slightly. I have heard of some people replacing the springs with surgical tubing, maybe thats why. Don't know for sure. What I do know is that the starting point for balancing pickups is to press the string on the last fret and measure the distance to the pickup. Neck is 3/32 at closest point and bridge is 1/16. The rest is balance and taste. Just remember that the closer to the string the more possibility of distortion. I might add, that strings are metal and the pickup is magnetic. If the pickup is too close it can stop string vibration premature and reduce sustain.

Had the same issue with my DOT, only more pronounced. The rout is real tight against the lower back edge of the metal pickup cover. I did not want to mess with the wood. I bent the bottom edge of the pickup cover a bit and now it is parallel to the strings and not the body.

Thanks guys. It's definitely a result of spring tension. I decided to do what Nickblues did and now the pickup is closer to being parallel with the strings. I'll readjust the pickup height as soon as I finish restringing it.

In my Dot the neck pickup ring and the pickup are slightly tilted forward because the top there is slightly curved down and towards the neck. So when installed the right way the pickup ring isn't parallel with the strings.

I'm going to flip the ring backwards next time I change the strings, that's how I've heard it's been fixed on the Gibson archtops from the day one. Besides, it looks cool to have something installed the wrong way which happens to be the historically correct way O:)

• 1 year later...

I really don't think it has much to do with spring tension or anything, it's just that some genius decided way back, when the pickups and guitars were being designed, to use just one screw in the middle on either side to adjust their height! Now if there were two screws on either side, it would allow for much more finite adjustment, because you could adjust the pickups front to back, and side to side, so you could get them sitting parallel with the strings, and at the right height!

I have the same "problem" with mine ('02 LP Standard Plus). It actually has nothing to do with the springs, but the mounting rings them selves. The fact is, the MRs on Epis are NOT the same as Gibson's, in that, they are thinner, and of lower quality. Gibson uses thicker, higher quality rings, while Epi used the thinner, run of the mill rings.

Archived