Buckethead les paul

shmigit

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have been reading through this thread and I have deduced two things

1. I used to be SUCH a noob

2. Buckethead fans and Buckethead are really really lame

You know...I've also been reading through this thread...and I too have deduced two things...

1. Hard to imagine how people argue about "who's the fastest/best/etc".

2. Even harder to understand why in the name of all that is good that this thread has gone on for 8 pages!

I think it's time to quit reading and play guitar...

He definitely doesn't deserve a signature guitar. He hasn't been around long enough or made enough of an impact.

although this is a nice melody

It's called "Whitewash", it's from Colma.

Btw, he's been around since 1991, and has made an impact on musicians like Les Claypool, Bootsy Collins, Bernie Worrell, Iggy Pop, Serj Tankian, Axl Rose (obviosly), Saul Williams, Mike Patton, Bill Laswell, Ozzy Osbourne, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Jonas Hellborg, Travis Dickerson, Paul Gilbert, Shawn Lane, and others...

I think it unlikely that he would get a sig model, at least one which is accurate to his guitar. I don't think Gibson would want to pay for the rights to the Storm Trooper head he uses as a tone knob.

As for whether he should get a sig model or not... I can see that there are arguments on both sides. I'm not a big fan of his work but he has done a lot in the film music field which has been good.

My personal feeling is that he has yet to influence other musicians to the same extent that the current patrons of signature models have. Yes, he is well known amongst some musicians (if not well liked in some cases) but signature models are made for the fans and I don't think he has enough fans to warrant it at the moment.

That said, I like his guitar and, if it didn't cost so much, I would probably re-fit a Les Paul with that setup myself. Maybe one day we will see one. We'll just have to wait and see.

• 2 weeks later...

Buckethead has released 24 solo albums and performed on over 50 others with his bands, and has made guest appearances on 44 other albums with other artist. I gotta say that he is not just speed metal. Maybe if you people took the time to actually listen to some of his music you would see this, and probably be blown away by the beautiful sound he can make, from 6 strings.

Its another one of those arguments that can never be won or solved!

I look on him as an extremely talented player whos very private and weird with almost A.D.D.-like output of music, too varied to even classify he's more like a composer whos gone bit potty, difficult to pinpoint why i like him, for instance, surfing with the alien, passion and warfare and even sex & religion were some of my favourite albums, now i cant even listen to or watch satch or vai without feeling a little bit bored or embarassed for being into this over indulgent guff! Ive also read many interviews over the years with al dimeola and always enjoyed the things he said, liked his views on music and reasons for doing others, didnt listen to anything he had done til a clip was posted on this site of him in return to forever, must say it was the most godawful elevator music i had ever heard, not trying to anger his fans cos i do still respect him but i must admit to being completely ignorant of anything else hes ever done and still havent felt the urge to try an amend this by listening to more, i may do but ya'know, some things arent everyones cup of tea ( as im sure we all know) i still really like buckethead, (old primus fan y'see) but im not gonna start posting stuff like RTF are sh!t and that Al DeMiola is a soulless gimp etc I have too much respect for the institution of the opinion

except when it comes to nickelback, who are just plainly utter shite and an absolutely pathetic bunch of record company ***-sponge lame-*** rhyming lyric writing corporate pieces of tumour thats slowly killing the music industry.

I just happened upon this thread, while visiting the Gibson forums for the first time. So much ignorance, arrogance and anger. It's OK to not like certain artists and music, but some of this is just too stupid.

Buckethead is a very good player, not stuck in any genre, and he can indeed play with emotion. He wears a mask and a bucket on his head - how is that worse than top hats, gold chains, sunglasses, leather pants, tattoos, bandanas, hippie costumes or whatever? His appearance obviously irks a lot of people; not being the stereotypical pretentious mane tossing tough heavy guy is probably too much for some to take. I believe he's actually rather shy and modest guy, a bit of a recluse really, and so what better than having a stage persona that is something a bit different. There's a lot of humour there too, something that gets lost with the macho bunch.

Also remember that his GnR stint is not at all what he's about, that was kind of a slip IMO... His solo stuff and the stuff he makes together with other good musicians is where it's at. For me, taking up the guitar at a ripe age (although into music playing and listening since childhood), he is an inspiration, exactly because he breaks with the usual guitar hero BS. Oh yes - and him not having a half-ape shouting banal, out of tune 'lyrics' on every song is quite refreshing. It's called instrumental music...

So, he doesn't fit your mould? Why this vehement urge to put him down? A large portion of Rock Guitarists really are a reactionary bunch it seems.

Buckethead signature model? Bring it on. It's the only signature guitar I'd consider, especially after reading this thread - I like to side with the underdog ;-)

DJ

--

• 2 weeks later...

The kfc bucket and mask is an original. It was his own "character" or hero before he got into business. He supposedly tried to find a michael myers mask but couldnt find the exact one. Got the plain white one instead. One day while eating KFC, the thought came to him and he put the big ol' greasy bucket on his head with the mask and, "Thats me. Thats Buckethead!"

I think the whole stories on the internet somewhere.

And to all the buckethead critics. If you dont like a musician, dont say they suck or are worthless, cause someone else can easily say the same.

"Buckethead sucks" yeah you know what?

EVH SUCKS

Yeah, I went there. What now.

Just proving a point.

Also, notice how famous guitarists never insult eachother or say they are better than someone else. Imagine the reaction if all the guitarists in the world found out they were being compared on the internet. (All join together and start playing together on the roof of the Empire State Building?)

And about the his les paul. I agree it should not be made because:

A) Its bigger than a normal les paul, which is heavy enough, and I doubt Gibson would take the time to make different LP bodies just for a bucket signature. Just about everything about it modified. I dont think it can even be called a les paul anymore, as someone said earlier.

B) Not many people know him. Not much people would buy. If it was a 100% copy then I dont think anyone with hands smaller than his would be able to play it.

C) I dont think he wants one. He's also like the kinda guy that likes to be last. If he wanted a signature he'd wait for everyone that he thinks is his superior and then he would probably get the signature.

Buckethead sucks period...hes for kids that dont know anything guitars dont belive me ask any kids that played guitar hero and they will say hes the best ever or either him or dimebag darrel is the best guitarist ever, even thoguh they know one song by them...TOPIC CLOSED

if u want to repsoned to this make anthor topic.

Buckethead sucks period...hes for kids that dont know anything guitars dont belive me ask any kids that played guitar hero and they will say hes the best ever or either him or dimebag darrel is the best guitarist ever' date=' even thoguh they know one song by them...TOPIC CLOSED

if u want to repsoned to this make anthor topic.[/quote']

What an eloquent and powerful rethoric...

I can assure you that you're wrong on four accounts:

1 - Buckethead does not "suck"

2 - His audience is not as described

3 - This topic is not closed

4 - Your statement does not make you appear tough or smart

I see no reason to let yet another small-minded condescending comment close what was a nice & friendly thread.

Unless you have anything constructive to say about a BH signature model, you should just shut up 'n play yer guitar.

DJ

--

you can't say he hasn't proven himself to be amazing...

he is ranked #8 of the top ten fastest guitar players ever.

and not to dis slash or anything' date=' but he aint on that list...=/[/quote']

it is not about how fast you play the guitar, although that is cool. It is how you play the guitar. For example SRV never played super fast, but what he played he played the best it could ever be played.

What an eloquent and powerful rethoric...

Hey man, nice guitar in your avatar... is it yours? Could we see some pics? (I love those single coiled SGs! too bad I didnt get to buy one when they were available... hope I find one on ebay in the future).

And to keep this on topic, and its just MY opinion: Buckethead is one of the more overrated guitar players out there (as are lots of others, like slash and petrucci) there, I said it.

Hey man' date=' nice guitar in your avatar... [/quote']

Thanks! Yes it's mine and I like it a lot.

Don't want to make too much of a mess here so I'll just link to some pictures of it here and over at everything SG.

Edit: @ Thundergod, here and here are a couple for sale...

And to keep this on topic, and its just MY opinion: Buckethead is one of the more overrated guitar players out there (as are lots of others, like slash and petrucci) there, I said it.

Fair enough. Although I happen to really like Buckethead myself, I tend to agree.

In case anybody has become curious about BHs music and wants something better than all those crappy YouTube clips, I can recommend some records by him : Population Override, Thanatopsis, Crime Slunk Scene, Monsters and Robots. The first two could be said to be on the rocky/jazzy side of things, the last two are more of a metal-and-a-bit-of-funk-and-something else thing.

DJ

--

• 1 month later...

Well after reading badjuju342's reply in this thread: http://forums.gibson.com/Default.aspx?g=posts&t=11670&p=2 I think this topic is back up for discussion.

I'm hoping that if and when a signature model is made, that it is based around the all white LP that was bought for Bucket when he joined GNR. That said I'd be more than happy with his newer model.

I've never heard it described as a les paul shaped cake, that's a good one.

Oh my god' date=' when I first made my original account, this thread was just a bud, now almost a year later, buckethead fans are still signing up to defend their lord and savior.

Just let this thread die...

Please.[/quote']

Actually I've been here for a while now. For some reason my post count went back to 0. You did see where the gibson employee confirmed that Bucket did infact tour the Gibson plant didn't you? Jealous that you weren't invited?

"Buckethead came by and toured the plant. He did not wear the bucket but did wear the mask the whole time." - badjuju342

As long as it is likely that a signature model will be released, this thread will not die buddy.

Archived