Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul v.s. Strat

Icon

Carlos Santana plays a PRS.... all the time...nothing else...

Yes, in recent years. But he played a Strat..and maybe an SG occasionally for

many years. His first album "Abraxas" is mostly Strat. When he asked PRS to

make a guitar for him..it was so good, that he exclaimed to him "THIS!..is an

accident of God!"...then PRS made another one for him...and he said "This is

also an accident of God!".. After the 3rd one, he stopped involving the higher

deity and concluded that it was because of the builder.

'Course, you can't beat the wail of a good LP on a sustainer....

....like Billy Idol sings ...'I wanna make you scream!"

Strats are good too. ...LPs are better! :^o

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of people in the metal world play other brands: PRS' date=' Schecter, ESP, etc.[/quote']

Yep, metal guitarists tend to shy away from Fender and Gibson it seems. Didn't Dimebag Daryl primarily play Dean guitars? You see less Gibson and Fender in the punk world also, as those too brands are too mainstream for the punk ethos in a lot of cases.

I also see Gretsch guitars in the Indy scene a lot these days. Eisley comes to mind.

Yesterday I saw the new Scorsase film of the one of the Stones' concert. Though his primary axe is that famous tele with the neck humbucker, I noticed that Keith Richards was often playing a Guild archtop.

I was reading the british mag Guitarist for this month and came across an interesting article that was pointing out how Gibson and Fender actually own a lot of the other guitar makers these days.

Gibson owns Epiphone, Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias, Balley Arts, Maestro, Dobro, and TC Electronics.

Fender owns Squier, Jackson, Charvel, Guild, Tacoma, Takamine, Kaman, Hamer, SWR, Genz Benz, Gretcsh, Taylor (distribition rights, anyway).

There's a part of me that reads that and says "yikes." There's another part of me that wants some Gibson or Fender stock!

That said, I'm pretty loyal to Fender and Gibson/Epiphone for my guitar choices. Can't beat the classics.

Teles take some beating. My standard Tele is the most versatile guitar I've got tone-wise, simple controls, built like a tank. I found it interesting that 2 of my favourite players associated with Gibsons switched to Teles as their main gigging guitars later in their careers; Mick Ronson and Dave Davies. Saw Ronno with Ian Hunter 3 times, always with Teles. Of course Jimmy Page went the other way, but I still think his tone on the first Zep album is marvellous, and that was all Tele.

I was reading the british mag Guitarist for this month and came across an interesting article that was pointing out how Gibson and Fender actually own a lot of the other guitar makers these days.

Gibson owns Epiphone' date=' Kramer, Steinberger, Tobias, Balley Arts, Maestro, Dobro, and TC Electronics.

Fender owns Squier, Jackson, Charvel, Guild, Tacoma, Takamine, Kaman, Hamer, SWR, Genz Benz, Gretcsh, Taylor (distribition rights, anyway). [/quote']

Yikes! Does that mean my Takamine classic (semi-custom in Japan, shipped to Kaman) is a "F*nder in disguise?

It sound so good that I may have to go out an buy a ..koff!..ahem..F**d*r. I always been a Gibby/Epi lover

over the years..and it seems that the guitar industry is going back to the good ole days when there were only

3-4 brands of guitars worth playing... Gr*tsch, F*nder, and all the ones made by the "World's Greatest Guitar Factory"

out of Kalmazoo.

But he played a Strat..and maybe an SG occasionally for

many years. His first album "Abraxas" is mostly Strat. When he asked PRS to

make a guitar for him..it was so good' date=' that he exclaimed to him "THIS!..is an

accident of God!"...then PRS made another one for him...and he said "This is

also an accident of God!".. After the 3rd one, he stopped involving the higher

deity and concluded that it was because of the builder.

[/quote']

LOL

I've never even seen him with a strat(except a loaner). And for the record, Abraxas was the 2nd album. The selftitled Santana being the first.

Yikes! Does that mean my Takamine classic (semi-custom in Japan' date=' shipped to Kaman) is a "F*nder in disguise?

It sound so good that I may have to go out an buy a ..koff!..ahem..F**d*r. I always been a Gibby/Epi lover

over the years..and it seems that the guitar industry is going back to the good ole days when there were only

3-4 brands of guitars worth playing... Gr*tsch, F*nder, and all the ones made by the "World's Greatest Guitar Factory"

out of Kalmazoo. [/quote']

Heh, I think the issue is that Takamine is OWNED by Fender. I think they still have their own factories and stuff. It was funny, though: the author of the article wondered why Fender would still make acoustics under their own name what with owning Takamine and Taylor and all.

Heh' date=' I think the issue is that Takamine is OWNED by Fender. I think they still have their own factories and stuff. It was funny, though: the author of the article wondered why Fender would still make acoustics under their own name what with owning Takamine and Taylor and all.[/quote']

I'm sure it's to pull electric-only players into the world of acoustics. I'd bet there are quite a few people out there who only play electric guitar who have never heard of Takamine.

LOL

I've never even seen him with a strat(except a loaner). And for the record' date=' Abraxas was the 2nd album. The selftitled Santana being the first.[/quote']

It's been a long time, and my memory isn't that good. I didn't know about him until "Black Magic Woman" came out

on the radio, and I bought the album. Sorry, my mistake. Well, at least, he wasn't adverse/opposed to playing

Strats when he had to. So what was his main guitar back then/ The SG?

It's been a long time' date=' and my memory isn't that good. I didn't know about him until "Black Magic Woman" came out

on the radio, and I bought the album. Sorry, my mistake. Well, at least, he wasn't adverse/opposed to playing

Strats when he had to. So what was his main guitar back then/ The SG?[/quote']

No worries. My memory is worse than I care to remember. He played an P90 SG, even before recording the first album(see the Woodstock movie, or maybe you were there? LOL) Ah, Black magic woman, Alas, I could only afford the tape.

LOL

I've never even seen him with a strat(except a loaner). And for the record' date=' Abraxas was the 2nd album. The selftitled Santana being the first.[/quote']

First album he used a Gibson SG with P-90 pu's.

On the second album he used Gibson Les Pauls.

Later on a Yamaha SG2000 followed by PRS.

The story ''this is it'' is about his Mesa Boogie amp.

I'm not sure, but doesn't Fender list under its own corporate name(FMIC) all its owned companies? Kaman Music Corporation is, as far as I know, unrelated to Fender... And it owns Ovation, Takamine, Gretsch Drums, Gibraltar and a couple others...

No worries. My memory is worse than I care to remember. He played an P90 SG' date=' even before recording the first album(see the Woodstock movie, or maybe you were there? LOL) Ah, Black magic woman, Alas, I could only afford the tape.[/quote']

No, I couldn't make it..and sorry that I didn't now. I do remember watching the movie, but that was

a long time ago..and I thought he was playing a strat on stage...maybe I got confused

with Hendrix...oh well, it doesn't matter now..he's playing PRS exclusively, I guess.

I'm not as fond of his later albums with all the other muscians on them..ie: Shaman..

his earlier works were much better.

I'm not sure' date=' but doesn't Fender list under its own corporate name(FMIC) all its owned companies? Kaman Music Corporation is, as far as I know, unrelated to Fender... And it owns Ovation, Takamine, Gretsch Drums, Gibraltar and a couple others...[/quote']

Well, I hope that that doesn't start a downward trend with too many lines and they

start cutting out models. I remember the Guild classics years ago..they were exceptional

in tone...I had a MKII for a while, then sold it. Anyway, I was looking for a Guild Classic

about a couple of years ago and there were none to be had..so I settled on the Takamine

and haven't regretted it. I guess all those Guild classic luthiers retired or have passed on

years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, belkin, whomever you are...they get a bit cranky around here, if your posts aren't

in some way related to "Epiphone/Gibson"...however obscure it might be?

So, I don't know what forums you're used to, and how they react, but I can tell you,

from personal experience, if it doesn't relate to Epi electic guitars, here...it's going

to get locked, and then deleted. So, please, play nice, and stay on topic, as much

as possible, OK?

Thanks,

CB

Archived