Gibson Brands Forums

Version 4?

Any chances epi is going to make a Version 4 VJ? One that would fix up the incoming voltage to the amp? If Epi did make another Vj' date=' I would probably get one, because I haven't yet because I'm still waiting for one that has no minor problems.

[/quote']

I was gonna get a VJ, but after seeing that not only do you have to mod-in EQ, but also power taht won't eat tubes, I'm leaning for a black heart. 50 bucks more, everything I want, plus a 3w switch.

I was gonna get a VJ' date=' but after seeing that not only do you have to mod-in EQ, but also power taht won't eat tubes, I'm leaning for a black heart. 50 bucks more, everything I want, plus a 3w switch.[/quote']

Not a bad choice at all IMHO......I have a BH combo and it's nice right out of the box......the lead tone on a modded jr is better IMHO but the features on the BH are hard to beat.

before you make your final decision on the blackheart over the vj; head over to www.sewatt.com and check out the blackheart forum over there.

But you are right, the BH has a few things thrown in that the VJ doesn’t.

Lay since you own one.. how’s the voltages on the tubes?

I am seriously re-thinking buying a VJ Mk3 (I have one but don't know if it's a Mk1 or 2) for a Peavey Royal 8. For a few dollars more the extras including a EL84/6BQ5 output tube and one 12AX7/ECCC83 preamp tube with no negative feedback in the power amp, headphone output, high and low gain inputs, gain and master volume, and a five year warranty seems to be much better value.

Hi Dalron.. everything has a means to its ends, that's why there are so many choices.

I planed on building a clone of a Marshall 2061x (20watt) or 1974 (18watt) tube amps when I first started looking but the price of over $600usd in kit form scared me off to start with. Then I ran across the Epip VJ for $100 (bought my second one from fleabay not working for $60 although it was an easy fix) just so I could learn all I could about tube amps, bias'ing, voicing, etc.

So my goal was different than yours maybe, I still have the 20 or 18 watt build in mind and will build one eventually.

In the mean time I work on the units I have and help others where I can.

This is an Epiphone Amp forum so it’s not exclusive to the VJ although it seems that way. Epip does read the posts here since they modified their own Rev1 VJ into a Rev2 then with all the people working on it they came up with a Rev3. Then one of their designers went on his own and produced the Black Heart amp’s based around the VJ with a few more ‘toys’ that everyone seemed to be adding into their amp’s.

Ultimately you have to decide; do I buy an amp to play through, do I buy an amp to adjust my own tone with and finally at what price?

Frankly if we all had the money, we’d be looking at $2000 amp’s that did almost everything for us; not $150~300 amp’s

P.S. Thank you Epiphone for bring a modestly priced full tube amp into my life.

.... that's why there are so many choices.

Thanks for your comment. Too many choices is a problem in its own, isn't it?

It's irrational (but probably not to forum member here ;-) )but I love seeing the brand name Epiphone on my music gear so in the end I'll probably get a VJ especially if rumours strengthen on the possibility of a V4.

My V3 Combo sounds amazing for what I paid for it. If you're holding off buying one because of worries about voltages, etc then you're missing a LOTTA FUN. Coupled with my Multi-Effects pedal I can dial in almost any tone I want at ultra-low volumes - and when I get to crank it up I play without any pedals - just Guitar -> amp and it's a damn Rock & Roll BLAST! Best bang for your buck I know of in amplifiers including the BH.

I'd like a blackheart. But I was waiting for a more powerful version.

Meantime' date=' it's VJ for me.

[/quote']

Well, tube amps seem to go from 5 to 15(class A), then 30, 50, 100,200.

And I don't think I'd take a blackheart over an epi blues custom.

Maybe if they made a 2x10, at about 10 watts, I'd like to see SOMEONE make a TUBE head that fits the marshall 2x10 micro stack(Which is currently a stolid state joke at 15 watts, since 5w class A can hold it's own against a 30W solid state)

That'd be the perfect amp for me, really, 10 or 15 watts, basic EQ(bass, mid, treble), maybe toss in a spring reverb, and straight awesome looking(2 1x10"s stacked). One input, clean and dirty channel. Single fotswitch.

Overall a no-nonsense stack with buckets of tone, just what you need, an awesome look, and that can really run with a drummer.

Okay huge digression.

I'm gonna go for a blackheart when I need the class A, driven tube tone and EQ.

And have the cash...

especially if rumours strengthen on the possibility of a V4.

I don't think they are going to produce a version 4, the VJ I think has pretty much run its course and is a great little money maker for them.

Buy the ver3; buy a second set of tubes and keep the in a safe place

. play it. Then read the forum here (including old posts) then the forum at sewatt.com; learn to do the changes yourself safely.

The voltage adjustment is very easy.

Then you can keep the “old” tubes around for the times you need to ‘burn-in’ speakers or components.

before you make your final decision on the blackheart over the vj; head over to www.sewatt.com and check out the blackheart forum over there.

But you are right' date=' the BH has a few things thrown in that the VJ doesn’t.

Lay since you own one.. how’s the voltages on the tubes?

[/quote']

Well....you know me I can't leave anything stock so my BH has a Hammond ESE and a few other cap and resistor mods that I did right after I got it....but from what I've been told by others the BH amps run right in the acceptable voltage range stock. I do think the hammond ESE in the BH is an improvement and a slight adjustment to the caps in the tone stack and thats about all you need to do IMHO. I still like the modded Valve Jr's better but they are both really good values. I've heard good things about the Peavey but I haven't tried one yet.

Archived