Gibson Brands Forums

Which Of The 2 Would You Get?

I've been saving up for a new guitar, I almost have enough money for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or I keep on saving for an Epiphone Ace Frehley Les Paul

Either I can get a Standard in a months time or get the Ace Frehley one by Christmas. My mind is on these two guitars and nothing else. In Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

What would you choose?

I've been saving up for a new guitar' date=' I almost have enough money for an Epiphone Les Paul Standard or I keep on saving for an Epiphone Ace Frehley Les Paul

Either I can get a Standard in a months time or get the Ace Frehley one by Christmas. My mind is on these two guitars and nothing else. In Heritage Cherry Sunburst.

What would you choose?[/b']

The ace is pretty top notch quality with good pickups, I had a epi lespaul it lacked in the pups. I hope your getting it used bacause they dont make those anymore! Just the fake's so beware.

The ace is pretty top notch quality with good pickups' date=' I had a epi lespaul it lacked in the pups. I hope your getting it used bacause they dont make those anymore! Just the fake's so beware.[/quote']

Thomann in Germany have them, and I don't think they are fakes

Standard + new pickups. I don't like the look of the AF(white pickups AND rings)' date=' and the middle PU is unpractical. You asked...[/quote']

x2......cosmetics aside, these little suckers are all over the place. Good little axes....

I'd hesitate and be careful on a Standard. They are made in China nowadays and they have a bad reputation. I'm looking for a standard myself and I'm never pleased with the chinese ones I play at stores.

There is a huge second hand market on them in Sweden and it's hard to get over 200 Euro for a used China Standard - even in mint condition.

I'd hesitate and be careful on a Standard. They are made in China nowadays and they have a bad reputation. I'm looking for a standard myself and I'm never pleased with the chinese ones I play at stores.

There is a huge second hand market on them in Sweden and it's hard to get over 200 Euro for a used China Standard - even in mint condition.

The Standards are made in China and have a bad rep? I will be buying off the internet si I won't have a chance to try it out.

I'd go for the Standard and upgrade the pickups, tuners, bridge and tailpiece.

I don't really want to repalce parts on a new guitar. I changed the pick ups on my Strat twice and added a few aged pieces within the first few months of ownership, I could have bought an American Strat at the price of the Strat and mods

I don't really want to repalce parts on a new guitar. I changed the pick ups on my Strat twice and added a few aged pieces within the first few months of ownership' date=' I could have bought an American Strat at the price of the Strat and mods

[/quote']

The hardware and electronics are fine for now, but (eventually) will require an upgrade to unleash the full potential of the guitar.

There's a subtle difference in the standard Epi pickups and the aftermarket ones. But, I think the pups are getting better. Most of the difference will be in the articulation of notes played using distortion. You will get cleaner, more pronounced sound from aftermarket pups. Played clean, they sound great. If you're a metal type, you will want to change them.

I agree with atomheart. I tried a LP Standard. It had a couple of serious problems. The pickups could not be balanced. The guitar tech at the shop tried it and came to the samc conclusion. Also, it wouldn't stay in tune.

It was Chinese made. I finally settled on the LP Ultra. A little more money, but no adjustment required right out of the case. All my Epi's (5) are made in Korea. They crank out some nice stuff.

Archived