Gibson Brands Forums

P90 lovers

TheX

I love my EPIPHONE 56 RI Les Paul with P90's so I decided to spend some money at GFS and try the Dream 90. Great decision, and now my Tele is a joy to play. Who else has P90 stories to share?

p90tele.jpg

Is it even a joy to play without strings and a neck? I have Mean 90's in my Dot - MAJOR improvement

over stock humbuckers and gave me that 60's sound I was looking for. I chose the Mean 90s over

the Dream 90s cuz most reviews said thay had a more "authentic" P90 tone. They're probably quite

similar.

I wanted a pickup that would work with the GFS TC Alnico that I put in the bridge spot. *Supposedly* they work better together. *shrugs* Either way they sound great.

Strings and the neck helped a bit as well.

Is it even a joy to play without strings and a neck? I have Mean 90's in my Dot - MAJOR improvement

over stock humbuckers and gave me that 60's sound I was looking for. I chose the Mean 90s over

the Dream 90s cuz most reviews said thay had a more "authentic" P90 tone. They're probably quite

similar.

Hey, I'm having chrome Seymour-Duncans put on my Dot. Are they Mean or Dream?

Hey' date=' I'm having chrome Seymour-Duncans put on my Dot. Are they Mean or Dream?[/quote']

Neither; they're Phat Oh..and Seymour Duncan is the dude's first and last names, not

a hyphenated company name. Hey, the dude did order SD Phat Cats for you, didn't he?

I love my EPIPHONE 56 RI Les Paul with P90's so I decided to spend some money at GFS and try the Dream 90. Great decision' date=' and now my Tele is a joy to play. Who else has P90 stories to share?

[/quote']

I have some cream Seymour Duncans SP90s Hot 2 and Custom 3 soapbars waiting to be installed in a hybrid mongrel I built from scrap-parts.

Charvel body, Fernandes stratocaster neck(pre-lawsuit), Jackson Floyd(!) and SG "double-winged" pickguard. It will look like a surf-guitar.

Neither; they're Phat Oh..and Seymour Duncan is the dude's first and last names' date=' not

a hyphenated company name. Hey, the dude [i']did[/i] order SD Phat Cats for you, didn't he?

Okay, I dug out the receipt, and lo and behold, it says "Pickups, Seymour Duncan Phat Cat SPH90-1 Nickel retrofit for Humbuckers..Killer Tone...great for conversions to that Vintage Sound."

That's one hell of an item description for an invoice. But there's your answer...Phat Cats!

It's a Squire, I drilled through the body and added string ferules etc. along with a different bridge assy, metal jack plate with new electronics and both GFS pickups. I'm doing the neck next. It's a great project since GFS parts are so reasonable.

Anyone doing the GFS mean 90/bridge; dream 90/neck swap out in your Epi, let me know the results.

Looking to get a Epi G400 later this summer and make it into a Live at Leeds machine with some GFS injected pups (haven't gotten around to buying them, yet..)

Thanks!

if you have Stock Gibson 90's and are looking for a little more bite.

I recommend the Seymour Duncan Hot 90.

13.9k as opposed to the stock 8.7k.

I put one in my '01 LPJ a few weeks ago and man does that thing rip!

Archived