Gibson Brands Forums

yet another valve jr. stack question from a noob.

The V3 has three outputs (4ohm, 8ohm, and 16ohm), so I'd say you could theoretically connect three, as long as they're of the correct resistance to the output they're connected to. The Epiphone cabinet is 16ohm.

In practice though, I don't know that the head could power the three cabinets. I'm hardly an expert, however.

The V3 has three outputs (4ohm' date=' 8ohm, and 16ohm), so I'd say you could [i']theoretically[/i] connect three, as long as they're of the correct resistance to the output they're connected to. The Epiphone cabinet is 16ohm.

In practice though, I don't know that the head could power the three cabinets. I'm hardly an expert, however.

i guess i'll use just one cabinet to start out then and try using a friend's cabinet with it (crazy guitarist, but can't use a guitar bigger than an sg :-k )

Well, a fender standard replacement speaker is 35 bucks.

Some plywood and nails, and an old T-shirt for the grillcloth, and an input jack, spray paint, a little wire.

You've got yourself a cabinet.

8 Ohms.

Total price ~50-60 bucks.

('m not sure if a guitar input jack would work for speakers, but I see no reason electronically why it wouldn't(with some ingenuity and soldering)

you won't run that many separate cab’s. If you buy Epip’s 1x12 VJ speaker cab you’d just need to add and extra jack or a Y jack to put the two cab’s in parallel and use the 8ohm output.

Other wise use a 2x12 or 4x12 of your liking and what ever ohm-age you set the cab up for

how many cabinets can you connect to a valve jr. head?

Right StrangeDoggie... Fenrir made it sound like he wanted to put a cab on the 4ohm and the 8 and the 16 all at the same time.. he won't need that many cabinets.

As you know you don't need to go to that extent plus you have to watch out for the "correct" reflective load... So for Fenrir, 1- 4x12 would do him on the correct ohm load.. or put 2 Epip cab's (16ohms each) in parallel on the 8ohm tap.

FenrirLupus (& everyone else) -- do not do this!:

The V3 has three outputs (4ohm' date=' 8ohm, and 16ohm), so I'd say you could [i']theoretically[/i] connect three, as long as they're of the correct resistance to the output they're connected to..., I don't know that the head could power the three cabinets.

Do not connect more than 1 speaker cable at a time. Only 1 cable into any one of the three output sockets -- matched to the total ohms load of your speakers (e.g. 2 x 8 ohms in series = 16 ohms, or 2 x 16 ohms in parallel = 8 ohms, 4 x 16 ohms in series parallel = 16 ohms).

Before buying my V3 I had asked an Epi tech rep this same question: Can you connect a 4 ohm & a 16 ohm at the same time into their 2 respective ohm outputs on the head? His reply was, "only if you want to buy a new head - the warranty does not cover owner misuse" (exact quote).

Refer to: http://professional.celestion.com/guitar/features/loadingyourspeakers/index.asp#

for speaker wiring diagrams.

And, WELCOME TO THE EPIPHONE FORUM FenrirLupus!

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on :-

Lister seems to think these VJ's are made of crystal glass.

I bet he's never even cranked one past 2.

I dunno, if an Epi tech told him that, I would be a little leery of trying it. If those are multiple taps on the

secondary, I can see how it would be possible to draw too much current thru the primary coil.

For the beginner stick to a speaker cabinet of your choice, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12, 4x10... etc. it doesn't matter! Just make sure that the speaker cabinet is pluged into the output jack closest to the ohms of the cabinet.

Make sure on your Tube amp you have a speaker connected before turning it on and for all intensive purposes jack the speaker into the correctly rated ohm jack…

It's that simple.

Understanding the reflective load on the output transformer and other parts of the amp is what it takes (which I admit I don't have a full grasp of but I'm working at it and getting better)..

Possibly this tech Steven talked to didn't (or didn't want to get into that subject with him)

...you can have multiple speakers in a cabinet.

Absolutely E_T. And multiple cabs with one speaker or multiple speakers each as long as the cabs/speakers are wired/connected in a manner that does not exceed the output ohm load rating. Undoubtedly' date=' the head will drive 4+ speakers, no problem (at any volume level Ian, as I have said here repeatedly -- "the VJr. is truly a professional grade workhorse").

[b']Any chance EPI will step in here to clarify once and for all the multiple output issue on the head?[/b] The owner's manual is silent. My post above was based solely on what EPI's tech rep replied to my direct question. My experience with multiple tap coils in non-tube amp applications dictates loading only one tap at a time to avoid overload. However, it is possible that the OT in the VJr. could be different/capable. I'm not willing to risk mine in order to find out.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Possibly this tech Steven talked to didn't (or didn't want to get into that subject with him)

I really don't understand why anyone would expect corporate tech support to offer advice on NOT explicitly following the instructions in the owner's manual. It should be obvious the tech was just doing his job advising all presumed newbies who call for support to not experiment with things they don't understand. Probably got himself a promotion.

As you can see from the Hammond 125xSE hookup table linked below, OT's are fairly flexible. Double the load equals double the reflected impedance, etc. As to whether the stock OT can take the "heat" as it were, you only need to wrap your hand around the OT to prove to yourself that it's okay. If a transformer is too hot to hold with your hand, the transformer is just too hot.

To date, I haven't felt any OT getting even uncomfortably warm, and I happen to love the tone of two mismatched speakers hooked up exactly as Twang described. It definitely improved the tone of my first v2 VJr, and I ran the amp that way all the time... That was long before I discovered what a better OT and a proper bias on the tube would do for the tone. I still run mismatched speakers with the Hammond OTs. It sounds totally awesome and I haven't lost a (properly biased) power tube yet.

http://www.hammondmfg.com/125SEsch.gif

Gil...

I'm not disputing this at all and a company worker will never go against his company; that just opens himself for dismissal or law suite…

That’s why Epiphone allows us to openly discuss doing alternate usage or modifications with their amp’s on their forum.

Sorry, Eracer Team. I know you're up on this stuff. I was just hoping to add illumination to the point you made. The latter 2/3'ds of my post was for the benefit of the newbies who might need the info to make their own decisions.

Gil...

Archived