Gibson Brands Forums

R & B guitars

But, even he has and has always had, different guitar tone(s), throughout his career.

And, I'm damned, if I can decide WHICH I like better. One's always tempted to say

the Mayall/Cream era...which is certainly awesome. But I really love a lot of his later

and current "Strat" stuff, too. I don't know...some "songs" or styles of music seem

taylor made, for certain guitar sounds, too. But, maybe that's just "brainwashing?!"

LOL! It's kinda like people that get so hung up on playing other people's (originally "inprovised")

solos, "note for note," and with the same type guitar and amp combo, as if that will somehow transform

them into that artist's abilities and his/her personal "mojo." So many of those original players, when you see them live,

NEVER play their solos, like the record. Some, aren't even close! But, they're usually

as good, if not better! (I did say "usually!"...LOL!) So, I've never been one to get too

hung up, on trying to do some else's solos, exactly like they do. As long as it "fits"

and you're playing to the best of your (current) abilities...it's cool...IMHO. For me, "Tone," as

long as it's the best you can come up with, and your personal favorite, is just that...personal.

Some, others will like/love it, some won't...no matter what! ;>)

CB

Or one with hums and coil taps - I stick to my earlier premise though - try out as many as you can' date=' one will call to you ![/quote']

May I also say how nice it is to have you back participating in the threads again blues....even when you're wrong(which is rarely)!:- You clapton *** kisser you....Hey wait a minute I am one too......oh well......

(gets gas can)

On this topic....I have to admit...yeah, you could probably play a bunch of different types of guitars...and find the one that's right for you.

But this has been an observation, and a subjective opinion has been based off of it.

As far as that tone thing goes? I tend to like players who dwell more in the neck pickup (or phased) on a humbucker, or a middle pickup if it's the case of Robin Trower. I think as far as ultimate tone, man......you listen to guys like the Kings (Albert or BB) and even though one's a solid body and one's an archtop, it's still that fat, round Gibson sound.

Even with crunch through a Marshall ala Jimmy Page....beautiful sound.

But at the same time? I can dig guys (tone perspective) like Hendrix, John Mayer...and Clapton, who does dwell quite a bit in that neck pickup with the tone adjusted just so for that "woman" sound of his. It's really a killer sound.

As far as dislikes? As far as leads go...I have to admit I've never been a fan of leads on a Strat in the bridge position or phased with the middle pickup for blues. Recently I saw Robert Cray....amazing blues guitarist....but after a while, that tone of his was sort of getting on my nerves. About 4 or 5 songs into his list I started trying to imagine what he would sound like with either his toggle switched up...or with a Gibson (or fascimile thereof) in his hands.

I guess I've just never been a fan of that nasally, thin single coil bridge sound for leads. I think it's great for a lot of rhythm parts....but nah...stick it up in the neck for leads....

Well, I like "fat" lead tone as much as anyone, too. But, there are times, when the "shrill Ice Pick" Strat bridge pickup tone,

works. It's like anything else...if one dwells on it, it get's boring/tedious. But, those who utilize the whole

spectrum, in their playing, are (most often) a lot more interesting. Of course, that tone diversity is only a

part, of the equation. Talent, and knowing how to use it, being the biggest factor, for me anyway.

CB

May I also say how nice it is to have you back participating in the threads again blues....even when you're wrong(which is rarely)!:- You clapton *** kisser you....Hey wait a minute I am one too......oh well......

You and CB are so funny, but I love you guys anyway, everbody's a comedian. As far as the tone question, I agree that an exceptional artist's sound and style will cut through no matter what wquipment they use. Clapton's "woman tone" is probably my favorite of his but its his playing period I've always loved.

I also agree with the Sentry in that my least favoritew tones tend to be the bridge pickup, and to a lesser degree, the bridge, middle, on a strat sound. His point about Robert Cray is a good one. I've always liked Cray but am somewhat annoyed by his tone and don't understand his attachment to it.

Thanks again for the welcome backs funny guys !

It is nice to have you back' date=' Bluesstringer Bro! As to "Clapton's ***?" Wouldn't kiss it,

but I sure love his guitar playing/music!

CB[/quote']

Now, if it came to his ex-wife Pattie (Boyd) Harrison/Clapton...in a heart beat,

and a whole lot more!!

Yeah, even NOW! LOL!

Or, I forgot...this is a "family forum!" Sorry.... ;>)

CB

Now' date=' if it came to his ex-wife Pattie (Boyd) Harrison/Clapton...in a heart beat,

and a whole lot more!!

Yeah, even NOW! LOL!

Or, I forgot...this is a "family forum!" Sorry.... ;>)

CB[/quote']

Oh man, did I/do I have a thing for Pattie Boyd !!!!!!!!!!! you had to bring that up didn't you CB ? Oh well, what's a couple more days or recuperation anyway !

Oh man' date=' did I/do I have a thing for Pattie Boyd !!!!!!!!!!! you had to bring that up didn't you CB ? Oh well, what's a couple more days or recuperation anyway ![/quote']

I hear ya, man! And, her sister Jenny was a cutie, too! Married Mick Fleetwood...a couple of times, I think?

Who say's there's no "Second chances?!"

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, but it's fun to think about. LOL! Pattie, wrapped around

a Sheraton, au natural (she AND the Sheraton)....Damn, that would be an Image!! Well, I got us back on

topic....sort of! ;>)

CB

"First thing I thought of when I read your posting was 40's-50's classic swing blues/RnB"

I also thought this...if anyone has any chord progressions / riffs typical of that era, please feel free to suggest...

on a side not, I was just messing around and figured out "dock of the bay" the other night (by playing, not looking

at tab)...which was great for me, because my ear is not developed to the point where I can hear a song and figure

it out...

This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic' date=' but it's fun to think about. LOL! Pattie, wrapped around

a Sheraton, au natural (she AND the Sheraton)....Damn, that would be an Image!! Well, I got us back on

topic....sort of! ;>)

CB[/quote']

Maybe the mods will take your idea and run if they read this and develop an ad campaign. I guarantee they would sell one heck of alot more Sherrys ! The only problem is that the mods are probably so young that they wouldn't know of whom we speak. They would have to hire us to set it all up for them !!! Oh Well, back to reality !

Ah, reality....what a concept!

Well, she's probably a bit "Vintage" for our younger folks, but she still looks

pretty durn good, all things considered. I'd imagine there's a bevy of lovely's

with that same kind of "Yardley Girl" look, that could handle such an assignment. But, Patti

was quite the inspiration, in her day...no doubt!

All those great songs, about her.

CB

Ah' date=' reality....what a concept!

Well, she's probably a bit "Vintage" for our younger folks, but she still looks

pretty durn good, all things considered. I'd imagine there's a bevy of lovely's

with that same kind of "Yardley Girl" look, that could handle such an assignment. But, Patti

was quite the inspiration, in her day...no doubt!

All those great songs, about her.

CB[/quote']

In the words of the "original" Trapper John McIntyre, Elliott Gould - "finest kind"

Oh man' date=' did I/do I have a thing for Pattie Boyd !!!!!!!!!!! you had to bring that up didn't you CB ? Oh well, what's a couple more days or recuperation anyway ![/quote']

You guys I thought I was the only one! But being a Beatles and Clapton fan I feel dirty admitting it. Pattie was the hottest Beatles wife.

I'm a Clapton freak too.....I admit it......I like everything he's ever touched....guitars, women,best friends women...etc.... I'm also a strat fan and they don't have to sound shrill at all....sure they can, but so can a 335 in the wrong hands. My comments on Cray's playing have always been the same....."put some hair on it dude"......I think he's a great singer but his tone is always whimpy and thin. You know who else could benefit from cranking it up a bit IMO is Jimmie Vaughan.......his tone is usually pretty thin sounding to me too. I know he's an authentic blues type player but just a little more grind and I'd like his stuff a lot more.

I'm a Clapton freak too.....I admit it......I like everything he's ever touched....guitars' date=' women,best friends women...etc.... I'm also a strat fan and they don't have to sound shrill at all....sure they can, but so can a 335 in the wrong hands. My comments on Cray's playing have always been the same....."put some hair on it dude"......I think he's a great singer but his tone is always whimpy and thin. You know who else could benefit from cranking it up a bit IMO is Jimmie Vaughan.......his tone is usually pretty thin sounding to me too. I know he's an authentic blues type player but just a little more grind and I'd like his stuff a lot more.[/quote']

About time you actually came clear out about the Clapton thing instead of putting one foot out to test the waters. Don't worry bro, you're in good company !

I made a similar comment about Cray and you're right about Jimmie Vaughan, IMHO. I would probably listen to him more if he thickened up a bit. Try as I might, I still just can't place him in the same league with my other favorites either way. He does have a unique style and I like his stuff otherwise though.

I loved the stuff Jimmy did with the Fab. Thunderbirds. If you're into that stuff you should also take a listen to Dave Gonzales. Formerly of the Paladins and now The Hacienda Brothers. Excellent stuff!

I loved the stuff Jimmy did with the Fab. Thunderbirds. If you're into that stuff you should also take a listen to Dave Gonzales. Formerly of the Paladins and now The Hacienda Brothers. Excellent stuff!

Yeah I like a lot of his playing too....just wish he'd kick it up a notch or 2 ......SRV had quite a bit of respect for his bro's ability as well.

Back to the topic at hand, at the beginning of the movie about the ersatz Supremes (Dreamgirls?), the guitar player had a sunburst Epi Blues Zephyr (ES-5 clone). Not exactly period appropriate in Epi form but looked cool nonetheless.

Archived