Gibson Brands Forums

Fake Epi?

reebz

Hi all,

I'm sure you get plenty of these and I doubt this will be the last, but here goes:

Recently purchased a Black Beauty, but I'm worried that it is fake.

Sounds ok, plays ok, feels ok - but a friend of mine said the headstock looks wrong and the case it shipped with is fake (apparantly, this brown/black-inlay case is used with various copied Epis on ebay?? I have no idea, but its what I was told).

I could provide a serial number, but thats useless, we all know that counterfeiters actually USE the register to get real serials.

I paid a decent amount, $650 (Aussie), which is enough below the recommended retail price for me to be concerned ($1049).

These pics aren't actually mine, but they are the exact guitar that I've bought (pulled them off the sellers Ebay listing).

4e28_20.JPG

46da_20.JPG

51dc_20.JPG

My friend says that there should be:

1 - no large "diamond" shape inlay on the headstock.

2 - The engraving should read "CUSTOM" instead of "Black Beauty"

Have I been duped?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Ok, well thats a good start.

What do you think about the engraving?

Basically, all the black beautys on Ebay either have "CUSTOM" or "Black Beauty" on the headstock...

its more or less 50/50, that concerns me the most.

a shot of the back of the headstock would help abit.

cos the fakes so far havent used the actual font for the serial numbers yet.

also a shot of the inside cavity will help, cos older epiphones and fakes use skinny *** pots.

whereas if the guitar u got is brand new, it should have full size pots.

Again, some more pics would be helpful. I have noticed on eBay that the LP fakes mostly seem to be the solid colour, customs...

The thing that concerns me about his one is the case. I haven't seen an Epiphone one like that before... Maybe someone else has...??

Thats true... I don't think I would be bothered about the case if the guitar was the real deal.

Whats the deal with the headstock? It looks fine to me....

This "real or fake" question is appearing on here a lot more recently. In fact, I can't look at a guitar on eBay without wondering. if it real or not.

I took a quick look on Ebay. EVERY Epi Black Beauty I saw there had black speed knobs & the diamond headstock inlay. Some said "Black Beauty" on the truss rod cover and some said "Custom". I think what you have is legit.

Plus, (and please do not take this the wrong way) if you're going to go to all the trouble to make a fake a guitar, why fake a late model Epi? Why not make a Gibson and get more money for it?

Can't really say from those pix. The headstock looks okay but I'd like to see the sides of the head including the area where the binding blends into the neck. The tuners seem a little weird to me but again I'd have to see the backs as well as a better shot of just one tuner for the washer/nut detail. I'd also want to see the control cavity exposed. A shot of the back of the pickups wouldn't be a bad idea either.

The Epiphone text looks little too bold (especally on the N)

I think that's just an effect that the camera flash did to it....i dunno

I think the guitar itself looks pretty legit, but i have to agree with biff...the fretboard does looks a bit light in colour... Just post some more pics, im sure someone on here would be able to give you a straight answer

• 1 month later...
Hi all' date='

I'm sure you get plenty of these and I doubt this will be the last, but here goes:

Recently purchased a Black Beauty, but I'm worried that it is fake.

Sounds ok, plays ok, feels ok - but a friend of mine said the headstock looks wrong and the case it shipped with is fake (apparantly, this brown/black-inlay case is used with various copied Epis on ebay?? I have no idea, but its what I was told).

I could provide a serial number, but thats useless, we all know that counterfeiters actually USE the register to get real serials.

I paid a decent amount, $650 (Aussie), which is enough below the recommended retail price for me to be concerned ($1049).

These pics aren't actually mine, but they are the exact guitar that I've bought (pulled them off the sellers Ebay listing).

[img']http://kijiji.ebayimg.com/i14/05/k/000/7a/d4/4e28_20.JPG[/img]

46da_20.JPG

51dc_20.JPG

My friend says that there should be:

1 - no large "diamond" shape inlay on the headstock.

2 - The engraving should read "CUSTOM" instead of "Black Beauty"

Have I been duped?

Thanks in advance for you help.

Its fake. I am an active member of www.mylespaul.com in the Fake Epiphone thread. Come on by, theres loads of information there.

1). The pickguard screw is too close to the edge- should be more centered.

2). Look at the bridge- Its a common flaw to the Black Beauties and Ivory Customs, they arent centered on the body like they are supposed to be. Thats how you spot those.

Another way to tell, is the splits in the Epiphone name- The split in the "O" should be on the upper left corner going up at roughly a 45 degree angle, yours isnt. And also the electronics- Im pretty sure if you open the control cavity it will be lacking the protective paint and will only be bare wood. (This isnt all inclusive, they have been painting some lately).

Archived