Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone SG G-400 (Life)

latomas

Between a Les Paul or SG for the long run. What would you recommend.

I've heard on SG guitars' date=' the necks bend... is this true?[/quote']

Until they snap.

Townshend had a pile of SGs Gibson gave him in the mid 60s he used until he snapped the necks off of all of them and switched to his numbered LPs.

SG's have the reputation, of having necks that are "less stable,"

and, considering their length, and heal joint, it make sense.

However, having owned several, over the years, I never had any

real concerns, that way. They aren't the "battle axe" a Les Paul or

even a Strat is, but with normal care and treatment, it should

last as long as you want it to. Weak points are the heal joint,

and headstock (as in all Gibson guitars). But, barring any "Townsend,"

type of deliberate destruction, it should be fine!" And, upper fret

access is wonderful! If, that's any consideration?

CB

Yes the SG necks are easier to bend.

My friend who does a lot of session work has always liked to play my SGs through the years because he will bend notes to pitch on them. He is a strat guy and owns a LP but no SGs. I trust him as he knows guitars is not an abusive player and knows the limits of an SG.

The original post I took as bendable necks being an advantage. In regular use a SG is as solid as a LP but if you are going to bend the neck for effect make sure you know what you are doing.

Townshend knowing the SGs weakness took full advantage.

All guitar necks bend,SG isn`t much different.So yes they bend a little easier then some others..

Got one here i got they said it had a broken neck.OK so i see what looks to be a crack in it but two years of getting

played ,nothing, stays in tune ,no problems with it,so what they said is cracked,looks to be in the finish

and not in the wood...

But go play a few in the store`s and see what you feel when you play them ..

Deliberately bending necks is a stupid thing to do on any guitar. Most of the people known for doing it are people who can cheerfully throw the guitar away and get another. If bending is part of your style, fit a maestro or a Les Trem.

If you're choosing a guitar for the long run, a LP and an SG have totally different weight, balance and feel, as well as the issue about access to high frets if you're going to be playing lead. You need to establish which one feels best for you. G400 necks are slightly more fragile, but if you're not going to bend it or bounce it around the stage it'll last for decades.

First, Welcome to the forum. As you can see, there is alot of opinion and expertise here from great people. I have been playing for 40+ years and have never known anyone to have problems with the necks on SGs under normal circumstances. We have all known people who are not normal or don'tplay normally and maybe in those circumstances but again, not normally.

As I always say, read the opinions of others but ultimately go somewhere and play both and see what feels best to you. No one else can tell you what you will like or which guitar "calls" to you. Good luck 1 keep us posted.

The G-400 is a little less bendy than a real SG, probably because the neck is a little thicker or has a meatier profile. Still, compared to, let's say, an Ampeg Dan Armstrong it's not very bendy at all. The Dan Armstrong would change pitch just from reaching over to turn the tuner knobs.

As the people say, you have to have a feel for the limits but it's kind of nice to be able to reach over and grab the SG's headstock for a little quarter-step bend... or so. My 1978 Standard has held together so far... and I'm sure my Classic will be able to take the strain... but I'd be a little more careful on a true early '60s SG with the weaker neck joint.

And Pete Townshend's SGs broke from a lot rougher treatment than a few little bends. :)

Deliberately bending necks is a stupid thing to do on any guitar. Most of the people known for doing it are people who can cheerfully throw the guitar away and get another. If bending is part of your style' date=' fit a maestro or a Les Trem.

[/quote']

I have been playing guitar for over 30 years now and I have known many players mostly blues guys who will give the neck a slight bend to change the pitch on non trem guitars. Even strats as mentioned here as some guys do not like the trem arm hanging. I'm one, I keep my strat with a little up-pull on the trem so I can palm it to tension and not deal with the trem arm swinging around.

My friend does a lot of session work in downstate Illinois and is the guitar player in a recent top airplay blues project. He also manages the guitar dept at a local store and does most of my major guitar repair setup issues. I play guitar but he is a guitarist.

He knows his @#$%, and all of his guitars are in better setup playing condition than mine, and no he has never snapped a neck or destroyed a guitar. He still has and plays every one he has ever owned. I can't say that about my collection.

Archived