Gibson Brands Forums

Weak pickups suck

bluefoxicy

Argh, I cannot play One. When I get to the solo, you have some 19p15p12 crap going on. Tap 19... then it's 20p15p12.

Well. Weak pickups (I have a guitar with its originals still, half the strength of Steve's Special dimarzios), and there's no way in hell.

I'm going for a Super Distortion in the bridge and a Steve's Special or Paf Pro in the neck. Thoughts on this particular combination in an H-H guitar?

(For the curious, I'm looking at dropping this into an H-S-H, with a red velvet in the center; I might try something similar with a Les Paul later though).

I noticed that too. I played that exact same solo on guitars at Guitar Center and they sounded great. Tried to play it on my friend's 1966 G-400 and you could barely hear it, definitely not enough sound for good tapping. Go with high output, or EMG actives if you want that insane metal/tapping sound.

Argh' date=' I cannot play One. When I get to the solo, you have some 19p15p12 crap going on. Tap 19... then it's 20p15p12.

Well. Weak pickups (I have a guitar with its originals still, half the strength of Steve's Special dimarzios), and there's no way in hell.

[/quote']

Do the PUs sound weak when you play regular stuff? If not, it could be your tapping technique, or your setup. Real low action may make tapping easier, but does not necessarily help in forming proper tone. Also don't rule out a guitar's construction and your amp.

I actually think it's beneficial to have at least ONE guitar with lower output/weaker pickups in it.

Reason? Sure...those aftermarket pickups that are so strong a paper clip will come a flyin' from 10 feet away may sound great through your amp, but if you're recording, and using plug ins or emulators?

Hahaha....Have fun trying to pad something like that.

But...then again, I don't expect everyone to necessarily agree (or even understand) why it might be beneficial to have lower output pups on at least one of your guitars (or in one of the positions of your guitar), especially in your exploring tone or you are looking for a good sound that has slightly less distortion than the last Slayer album produced...

I just put some Dimarzios in an Ibanez ARX 320 (artist series).

Tone Zone/bridge; Air Norton/neck.

Amazing combination (so far, just did it yesterday).

Tone Zone is a very hot pickup....ROCK!.....Air Norton gives a very woody, bassy sound, but clear.

This combination is good for a pup upgrade.

Also, don't forget GFS pickups.

You could also just check and see what guitar Hammet used to record "One" with. Probably his ESP?

Check the outputs on the pups in that guitar and some of his gear.

I think he actually keeps it pretty simple, all things considered.

For metal, and I am not a metal guy, you probably want a pup w/ DC resistance at 10.0 - 13.0.

Also, never underestimate using a mid output pup and just driving the s.o.b. with yer amp.

Slash uses Duncan Alnico Pro II's, which have lower output than Duncan's '59's. He just plays 'em through a very loud Marshall head/cab!

I went by the local guitar store yesterday to talk to the owner about putting my '92 Gibby LP Studio on consignment. While I was there, I got into a conversation with the guitar teacher. He took me back into the studio area and hooked up an Ibanez and played a little. This guy is a Malmsteen raking speed demon. He had a deal with PRS and did seminars for them a few years ago. He is using DiMarzios.

High level distortion and technique is key to doing that sort of stuff.

Archived