Gibson Brands Forums

Finally got a 'real' '61 ***PIX*** finally

RotcanX

Although Spud doesn't say it' date=' (but implies it), the '61 is the BEST SG there is (IMO).[/quote']

Actually, no, that would be the '64. That's the one that used as a prototype for the VOS SG. '64 was the last year they used nickel-plated hardware.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Unless you like the "really obviously two pieces of plain looking mahogany" look.

There's some kind of weird thing going on with the side-by-side photo... it looks like there's a vertical seam in the body of the Gibson. However it's an illusion. The Gibson is made from a single slab of South American mahogany; the Elitist is book-matched (i.e. two pieces) of African mahogany.

Is this 'step' the reason it's a B-stock? Or do all Elitist SG '61 have this?

The Elitist is not a 'B' stock. The Gibson is, because of some tiny hairline cracks barely visible in the finish over the fingerboard binding. I haven't seen a lot of Elitist '61s but the ones I've seen all have the step.

What is that weirdo tremolo contraption?

That's the tremolo they designed for the '61 Les Paul. It was dropped in mid-1962 when they replaced it with a preliminary version of the Maestro vibrato that had a decorative block of ebony with pearloid inserts:

62gibsonSGLPEbonyblockcherry.jpg

The Maestro we all know and love with the big lyre plate showed up, along with the new 'SG' moniker, in 1963.

Here's a vintage Gibson '61 Les Paul/SG Custom' date=' from Gruhn. No step whatsoever.

[img']http://www.gruhn.com/photo/EC1943.jpg[/img]

Good catch, spud! Congrats!!

Yea they didn't add the step until they had revised the neck joint in '67.

That one there is pre-step....the 'Easy Break' model

Shows where they got the Epi SG neck joint though.

Recent VOS models I've seen (VOS SG Standard W/ Maestro) have the step fused in to where the body and neck are seemlessly integrated. Nice.

This heel business is really gonna bug me now... ](*' date=') [/quote']

here we go.

the heel of my 'orville by gibson'.

OBGheel.jpg

guess its due to whatever factory they are using now.

and my 'orville by gibson' is about 5mm less wide than my gibson '61 reissue.

the abr-1 on my '61 reissue.

61abr.jpg

tho the only real reason why gibson calls it a '61 reissue is cos thats wat ppl are familiar with.

cos in '61 they didnt have maestros...technically it should've been called a '63 reissue.

Archived