Gibson Brands Forums

Another Store Getting Into the Act

Just Strum

JustStrum, I live in Cuyahoga Falls and I don't think any big box store such as Best Buy could ever put Woodsy's out of business. It's much too well established. Also, I saw those Maestro by Gibsons a number of years ago at Best Buy.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
JustStrum' date=' I live in Cuyahoga Falls and I don't think any big box store such as Best Buy could ever put Woodsy's out of business. It's much too well established. Also, I saw those Maestro by Gibsons a number of years ago at Best Buy.[/quote']

I'm over in Aurora and I agree, it would be hard to put them out of business. They carry a tremendous selection of guitars for a somewhat little store. I've never gone upstairs to look at the Martins and other high end acoustics, the GAS is too overwhelming downstairs that I never make it up to the other floor. I enjoy my trips to Woodsy's in Kent and it's sort of like going to the amusement park for me.

I've never been to the Medina store, have you?

WTF, they make Epiphone have the goofy not right headstocks but they sell this junk with the right shaped headstocks and a little trussrod cover thing that says Gibson.

Ok I think they have lost it. No way would I put the Gibson name in anyway on this stuff. Looks like Epiphone was spared on this one.

Gee, this is perfect, because I wanted to give more money to those huge megastores, while getting less knowledgeable service, but I could never do better than Guitar Center. But is this an answer to my prayers! ](*,)

Wow, I wonder if they could tell me what kind of wood that Les Paul is made of? "Umm... birch? Let me ask my manager...." Manager walks over, inspecting guitar, "Why this is clearly Balsa wood."

Hopfully they handle the whole thing the way they handle the "Magnolia Home Theater" department. That is closed off from the rest of the store and is managed in a much better manner. I have a relative who works in Magnolia. That kid really knows her s#!t. She was well trained and cares about her job. Not like most of the jacka$$es they have in the main part of the store. God what a$$holes some of those Best Buy sales people are. If you can find one.

Hopfully they handle the whole thing the way they handle the "Magnolia Home Theater" department. That is closed off from the rest of the store and is managed in a much better manner. I have a relative who works in Magnolia. That kid really knows her s#!t. She was well trained and cares about her job. Not like most of the jacka$$es they have in the main part of the store. God what a$$holes some of those Best Buy sales people are. If you can find one.

"Can I sell you the extended warranty?" you mean those people?

I bought a box of AA batteries last week (24, they were on sale, I try to avoid Best Buy) and they offered me a warranty on them. How thoughtful. Shame the warranty didn't cover the batteries going dead. What else is going to happen, combustion?

I bought a box of AA batteries last week (24' date=' they were on sale, I try to avoid Best Buy) and they offered me a warranty on them. How thoughtful. Shame the warranty didn't cover the batteries going dead. What else is going to happen, combustion?[/quote']

You're not serious, are you? ](*,)

That's when you smack them and walk off. ](*

BTW, check your PMs.[/quote']Already done ;) And I would've smacked them, but the batteries were cheap. I just said "Oh, I don't think I'll be needing it", smiled, cursed them in my head, and left with my batteries.

Already done ](*,) And I would've smacked them' date=' but the batteries were cheap. I just said "Oh, I don't think I'll be needing it", smiled, cursed them in my head, and left with my batteries.[/quote']

Ooh, I hate it when cheap prices defeat your values!

You say you hate Wal-Mart until you see they have cinnamon-nacho pretzel-doughnuts for only 12 cents a piece. And suddenly you feel an extreme hunger for cinnamon-nacho pretzel-doughnuts...

Fortunately, the First Act guitars on display at the Wal Mart I work at are well outside of the reach of any customers. Can't be too snarky, though, I did buy a Levi denim strap from there that is now my favorite. It'll slide right off of your shoulder, but it's even more comfortable than the cotton ones. $8 (minus employee discount) when most decent straps cost $15-20.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me about the big box stores is that I think it will crush small guitar makers. A lot of smaller manufacturers produce high quality instruments without name brand markups, but if places BB and WM are selling people their first guitars, that variety is going to get stamped out by distributer exclusivity. Competition makes for good products, and if they had their way, Fender and Gibson would take complete control of what is already an oligopoly.

I actually like to avoid the two big makers (Fender and Gibson). I've always thought that the smaller brands (Epiphone and even smaller) tend to produce just as good of product as the big two, and depending on the manufacturer some of the guitars are actually pretty good.

My sister took up guitar about 3 months after I did since she figured that she could if I could. She got tired since she couldn't switch from a G to a D seamlessly on her first try.

Hah' date=' I really hated "You Shook me All Night Long" because I couldn't do the chord changes nearly quick enough. It drove me insane, but I guess that's what got me to persue AC/DC.

Fortunately, the First Act guitars on display at the Wal Mart I work at are well outside of the reach of any customers. Can't be too snarky, though, I did buy a Levi denim strap from there that is now my favorite. It'll slide right off of your shoulder, but it's even more comfortable than the cotton ones. $8 (minus employee discount) when most decent straps cost $15-20.

Anyway, the thing that bothers me about the big box stores is that I think it will crush small guitar makers. A lot of smaller manufacturers produce high quality instruments without name brand markups, but if places BB and WM are selling people their first guitars, that variety is going to get stamped out by distributer exclusivity. Competition makes for good products, and if they had their way, Fender and Gibson would take complete control of what is already an oligopoly.

Ha ha ha! "Yeah, Snarky is a word, Google that s***." - Dane Cook

I really don't know if you were referring to Dane Cook, but it's 1:51 A.M. here on Omicron Persei 8, so I retain the right to go off-topic.

Anyway, oh yeah, this is a turn for the worse for this industry. I mean, this is one of the few industries that prefers to sell through smaller stores (other than big brother Gibson for IDK what reason), and if that's being taken away, I would not be alone in great dissapointment in the manufacturers for alowing this to happen.

And I don't mean normal dissapointment, I mean like when your parents say, "I'm not mad at you, I'm just dissapointed in you." That's so much worse.

Roswell: I wouldn't avoid the big names just because they're uppity. I hate Gibson, but god do I love their guitars, y'know what I mean?

Roswell: I wouldn't avoid the big names just because they're uppity. I hate Gibson' date=' but god do I love their guitars, y'know what I mean?[/quote']I didn't word that terribly well... I don't avoid them, I just look at my other options first. The other options are usually a lot cheaper, and if you know where to look you can get a guitar that, for less than it'd cost to get a Gibson, you can make sound-wise quite similar.

I didn't word that terribly well... I don't avoid them' date=' I just look at my other options first. The other options are usually a lot cheaper, and if you know where to look you can get a guitar that, for less than it'd cost to get a Gibson, you can make sound-wise quite similar.[/quote']

Oh yeah, I don't doubt that there's better sounding guitars out there, but as far as playability, I haven't fell in love with any guitar quite like the SG. Just my personal experience.

Archived