Gibson Brands Forums

Another Store Getting Into the Act

Just Strum

Lifted this from what I refer to as my home forum. I thought it would make for some good conversation.

"MINNEAPOLIS, July 29, 2008 – Best Buy, the nation’s leading consumer electronics retailer, today announced that it will begin offering musical instruments and musical recording equipment at an additional 75-85 Best Buy stores across the U.S. and online at www.BestBuy.com. The diverse musical instrument and recording line-up will include more than 1,000 guitars, bass, drums, keyboards and recording equipment, as well as other musical instruments and accessories, all available at entry level and professional price points."

Comments back varied. I'm not real big on it from the standpoint of a sterile atmosphere (I like the mom and pop atmosphere when I look at quitars.

I did point out (again lifted from the other forum)

"although I'm not really sold on the idea. However, it does bring instruments to an expanded market and therefore, more impulse buying - that will lead to more used guitar deals found in the newspapers, estate sales, garage sales,... and that = EVEN BETTER DEALS FOR US!!!"

Any thoughts here on how you view this?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can see it now - honkin' Marshall stacks or Eggenators blasting out distortion next to 70" plasma tvs. It may help expose instruments to people who wouldn't normally seek out music stores, but I think past history shows that this type of project doesn't work too out for too long. Didn't Montgomery Wards and Sears offer instruments at one point?

I've already seen Yamaha instruments in my local BestBuy. They are all beaten to pieces by the customers. Wait until someone does that with a "professional" instrument. Bad idea. Our BestBuy stores are one small step above K-Mart. A Mecca for people who couldn't possibly afford a professional guitar.

I can see it now - honkin' Marshall stacks or Eggenators blasting out distortion next to 70" plasma tvs. It may help expose instruments to people who wouldn't normally seek out music stores' date=' but I think past history shows that this type of project doesn't work too out for too long. Didn't Montgomery Wards and Sears offer instruments at one point?[/quote']

I know Sears did

http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/silvertone.htm

My first guitar came from a auto part/hardware store called Western Auto (I am going off a deteriorating memory)

truetone.jpg

not my actual first guitar, but after a long search awhile back I found a pic on the net.

Pete Townsend couldn't have destroyed that guitar on his best day. I was young and it seemed like that guitar weighed 20 lbs. Bump your head on it, you would be out for days.

Hmm.....Interesting news, but as a leftie I don't see how it's going to affect my purchasing habits as far as musical instruments go. (unless it's one more place to pick up miscellaneous items...)

I'd actually be more interested in this if there was some sort of overt effort on the part of best buy to sell recording equipment and software ala Pro Tools.

I imagine they're cashing in on the popularity of Guitar Hero and trying to take it to the next step. They'd be crazy to sell anything but the cheapie stuff like Squire strats or low end Ibanez, Yamaha, etc. Most of the guitars will be bought by 14 year old shredder wannabe's who will sell them on Ebay or Craigslist after a year or so.

My very first guitar, a flattop acoustic, was a Silvertone that my Dad bought from Sears when he was a kid. I think it cost him $5. The action was amazingly pretty good. The top of it had a stenciled picture sprayed on it (some palm trees and a sunset). I refinished it in about 1963 (the guitar was from about 1940) and learned on it for 3 years before my father bought me the worst guitar of my life...an Ibanez Salvadore steel string acoustic with the worst action of any guitar other than Lennon's first acoustic.

Scroll down to the second to last item and check out the Silvertone.

http://www.woodsys.com/coolguitars.html

Woodsy's is a guitar shop down in Kent, Oh that is not to far from my house. The store is one of those places that GC, SA and now Best Buy attempt to put out of business. A lot of character and a lot of knowledgeable people that work there.

I don't particularly care if Best Buy is selling instruments. If they have the best price, and something I want, I'll buy from them. If I'm unsure about something (like when I bought a PA system a month ago), I'll go somewhere that has knowledgeable employees. As far as guitars go, I generally know what I want.

A year or two ago' date=' Gibson guitars (the high end ones) showed up on CostCo's web site. Gibson had a conniption.[/quote']

I recall walking out of a WalMart and seeing a Gibson sitting there. I was in a hurry and didn't stop and since I don't frequent WalMart (meeting place for inbreeders) I really don't know what the deal was, but I do know the headstock read Gibson.

I remember that. What's funny is my local Costco still has a Gibson Les Paul Standard from 2004 (when they stocked them, and according to the sign) that they've never been able to sell. It's only listed for $1,100 now (which is a GREAT deal), and I'd buy it, except for the fact that I'm a lefty. =/

I talked to the manager about it a few days ago and he said he's planning on shipping it back in a week or two if he can't sell it. Took him long enough.

I don't think I would be comfortable buying an instrument from a big box chain. I would think they would be getting things made to their specs wich usually means cheapening the production process or cheapening the materials . No thanks I'll stick to a real music store staffed by musicians, if you think GC is bad imagine trying to get an intelligent answer at a big box store.

I imagine they're cashing in on the popularity of Guitar Hero and trying to take it to the next step. They'd be crazy to sell anything but the cheapie stuff like Squire strats or low end Ibanez' date=' Yamaha, etc. Most of the guitars will be bought by 14 year old shredder wannabe's who will sell them on Ebay or Craigslist after a year or so.[/quote']

+1

This has got to be due to Rock Band/Guitar Hero. You can buy Rock Band at GC, you can buy a book of tabs from Rock Band songs. Search on You Tube and you'll find a lot of videos teaching the RB songs.

I agree with you: I don't know that this would have a huge effect on guitar prices, but I would imagine it will bring the # of people buying intro guitars way up, like in the late 70s/80s when every Kiss etc. fan was buying a cheapie guitar to play like Ace or whoever their hero was. For a lot of kids it was their last guitar (of course some of them went on to greatness). I bought a black Strat copy (Aria Pro maybe?) in the early/mid 80s to play like the Edge. I couldn't sound like him with just my guitar and 10W amp, gave it to my friend, and didn't pick up another one until I got into Pink Floyd.

I agree the rock band users will be paying attention.

And they aren't the stereotype as described.. my son, 21, for instance has the whole set up downstairs.. including wall hangers I put up

for his guitars. I play the thing, myself. drums, bass, guitar, vocals.. He'll have six or seven down there at a time until four in the morning.

I never say turn it down either. Being a sixty year old and getting to hear some of my fave songs all night is about freaking perfect.

Some of them play already, some are interested in playing. Proximity will entice.

It's more competition and that's always good in my book.

having heard the sales staff at various GCs when they are dealing with less than knowledgeable people, the one thing I shudder at is

going in to best buy and hearing it be even worse, coming from someone who probably doesn't even play at all him/her self.

It's a chain.. they'll get some better deals... but they'll try to take advantage of what the customer will pay, of course.

It will put a dent in mail order, local shops, chain stores...

But this business has always fluctuated.

Sears and Monkey Ward was where everyone in town got their guitars --at first-- in the sixties.

You could buy guitars and amps fairly commonly at small tv/radio shops.

And yeah, Western Auto.. I remember going in to look at guitars and naked lady gearshift knobs.

Vroom, indeed.

The sad part will be if they stock a lot of crap.. foolers I call 'em.. they LOOK like guitars and amps.

I hate the idea of some kid with a real interest, maybe even a need, to play music getting ripped off on his very

first instrument. That can make a kid think it's HIM and he quits. Or struggles and struggles only to find out later

that he's worked way harder than he should have, for far less accomplished ends.

The good part will be if competition sparks some new manus.. or price breaks.. etc.

We'll see..

More people trying guitar' date=' more people buying, more people selling, more people making.

Bigger is better.[/quote']

I've just finished reading several books on the history of the blues. Those early Delta bluesmen (and many others) bought their guitars via mail order catalogues (may have been Sears Roebuck sp?).

Who knows? Sales of guitars in stores like those mentioned in this topic might give rise to another Robert Johnson and who could say no to that?

Kmart in Australia (which I don't think is related to Kmart USA) started selling Washburn acoustics, electrics, amps, cables, picks etc a few months ago. They certainly don't allow playing in the store: you stick the stuff in your trolley and head for the checkouts. My opinion is that the cheap stuff will either lead buyers onto buying better later on or turn them off playing altogether.

Competition is a good thing. When a second 'Mum & Pop' guitar opened in my town earlier this year, the first store whose prices were the definition of 'rip-off' suddenly became VERY competitive. Interestingly the first store owner told me that since dropping his prices he has actually had the best six months ever - whether he's telling the truth or not is another matter.

Anyway, thanks to those lower prices I was able to get my Super Dot cheaper than any other store were selling 'standard' Dots for.

I know Sears did

http://www.searsarchives.com/brands/silvertone.htm

My first guitar came from a auto part/hardware store called Western Auto (I am going off a deteriorating memory)

truetone.jpg

not my actual first guitar' date=' but after a long search awhile back I found a pic on the net.

Pete Townsend couldn't have destroyed that guitar on his best day. I was young and it seemed like that guitar weighed 20 lbs. Bump your head on it, you would be out for days.[/quote']

I remember Western Auto! back then you could get almost anything from them. from BB guns to washing machines...and yeap including guitars!

Capt

I remember Western Auto! back then you could get almost anything from them. from BB guns to washing machines...and yeap including guitars!

Capt

Well, at least my memory is still semi-good. The guitar I pictured is identical to the one I had. Single pick-up, ashtray cover, same color body. I don't think the entire time I owned it, it was ever in tune.

Click here for Best Buy guitar selection. Maestro by Gibson lol.

Is it my eyesight or are the strings unevenly spaced at the bridge? Maybe it's just the photo.

It sure looks that way.

Once I was on the Fender site and spotted a pic of a Strat with the e string hung up on the edge of the third fret. Since it was pulled over on the third, the string was off the board for a number of frets and very obvious. After about two weeks I sent them an e-mail and jokingly commented they could send me a Strat or stickers for bringing it to their attention.

The customer service guy said they wouldn't be sending anything because one of their marketing guys had already spotted it. An hour later, the pic was gone - F Fender.

Being that it has a wrap-around bridge, and if it's strings are loose , it wouldn't be that hard to have the strings lined up wrong.

I am all for this.

With some of these instruments out there, it can only make my SG JR. and G400 look even better than they already do!

Archived