Gibson Brands Forums

Best amp for playing the blues.

JefferySmith

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BB King says on his DVD that he has used "Fender Twin" amps for a long time. I assume that he means Fender Twin Reverb' date=' but it could be any of the 2x12" combo amps. Like Eric Clapton, he turns the volume up to "10" and controls the volume from his guitar. That ought to growl.[/quote']

A twin on 10 is wicked loud! ...and not in a good way! They just don't have a good natural breakup like the lower wattage fenders do at a reasonable volume.

A twin on 10 is wicked loud! ...and not in a good way! They just don't have a good natural breakup like the lower wattage fenders do at a reasonable volume.

That's why i keep mentioning the Deluxe. I love twins but they are LOUD. The Peveys are great tube amps as well but IMHO, you just can't beat the blackface Fenders !

This amp talk has jarred my memory. I didn't used to use a Fender Twin Reverb (2x12"). I used a Fender Super Reverb (I think that was the name) with 4x10" speakers. My lead guitarist used an amp that was virtually identical but it had no reverb. I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it. Somethink like a Fender Concertmaster or something.

That would definitely be a Super. They came in 4 X 10 or 1 X15 configurations with the 4 X 10s being more common. Fender made several versions of the Concert amps, some were all tube, some solid state and some hybrid with a tube preamp and SS power amp. All way too loud for my taste and didn't sound great turned up real high.

The super was sweet though ! I see them every now and then in this area for around $800 to $1000. I have 2 friends with them that wouldn't part with them under any circumstances.

That would definitely be a Super. They came in 4 X 10 or 1 X15 configurations with the 4 X 10s being more common. Fender made several versions of the Concert amps' date=' some were all tube, some solid state and some hybrid with a tube preamp and SS power amp. All way too loud for my taste and didn't sound great turned up real high.

The super was sweet though ! I see them every now and then in this area for around $800 to $1000. I have 2 friends with them that wouldn't part with them under any circumstances.[/quote']

Not sure what you are revering to for a Super or Super Reverb with 1-15".

He is talking about vintage blackface amps, I believe. They go like this:

1-10" Princeton or Princeton Reverb

1-12" Deluxe or Deluxe Reverb

2-10" Vibrolux Reverb

4-10" Concert or Super Reverb

2-12" Pro Reverb or Twin Reverb (There were a couple non-Reverb Twins the first year or two)

1-15" Vibroverb or Pro

This pretty well held true through the silverface era. Then there were the Rivera Amps and they started to get away from these conventions then the 90s hit and the names could not be relied upon. There may have been a 1-15" Super there that wasn't around for long. I know they had a Super 60 in the red knob series that had 1-12, 2-10 or 4-10".

Anyway, since he was talking about a 4-10" non reverb blackface amp, that's a Concert.

BTW, I agree with you 1000% about the Deluxe Reverb. Fantastic and probably the best tone of any blackface.

Not sure what you are revering to for a Super or Super Reverb with 1-15".

He is talking about vintage blackface amps' date=' I believe. [/quote']

Jeff was talking about blackface Super Reverbs, as was I, and they were available in a 1 X 15" configuration. I had one, albeit a few decades ago and there are 2 for sale in local shop as we speak.

You are correct about the Concert, I was simply stating that there were several variations through the years of the Concert, again in different variations, for grins more than anything !

The group leader's husband of the Praise Team group I play in collects, rebuilds and plays tube amps and has at least 2 maybe 3 Concerts, all different configurations and sounds. He also has 2 Super Reverbs one with 10's and one with a 15" as well as a 15" Vibroverb. I usually use his Vibroverb on nights we practice at their home as he leaves that and his 68 Twin in the music room and the Vibroverb sounds better for the contemporary stuff we play.

Just from reading about the man' date=' but BB opts to rent his amps in each town where he plays. When his amp of choise is not available, a Gibson Lab Series L-5 solid state amp, he'll opt for a Fender Twin.[/quote']

Don't know if they were rented or not but those are blackface Twins that BB and Clapton are sitting on in my Avatar, one of my favorite pics !

Don't know if they were rented or not but those are blackface Twins that BB and Clapton are sitting on in my Avatar' date=' one of my favorite pics ![/quote']

And, I bet they still sound like themselves! LOL!

"It ain't the amp (or guitar) it's the heart and fingers!"

CB

There were Fender Amps known as "Super's!" 50's Tweed with twin 10's' date=' and the blackface models,

with 4-10's. I thought, the Concert amp had just the 15...but, I'm probably mistaken. Been a long time

since I've seen one. I'll try to find out more.

CB[/quote']

The Brownface Super had 2-10s as well. When they brought out the Blackfaces, the naming conventions went out the window. There was no Blackface Super non-reverb. That was the Concert. The 15" was the Pro (non-reverb) then they changed the vibroverb from 2-10s in the Brownface to 1-15" in the black.

The other thing is that some people changed out the 4-10" speakers in the Super Reverb for 1-15". The only problem was with the impedance as the Super Reverbs were 2 ohm amps. So they would put a 4 ohm speaker in to have a slight mismatch (but within Fender's tolerances) but those were not factory amps and I didn't see many like that.

Jeff was talking about blackface Super Reverbs' date=' as was I, and they were available in a 1 X 15" configuration. I had one, albeit a few decades ago and there are 2 for sale in local shop as we speak.

You are correct about the Concert, I was simply stating that there were several variations through the years of the Concert, again in different variations, for grins more than anything !

The group leader's husband of the Praise Team group I play in collects, rebuilds and plays tube amps and has at least 2 maybe 3 Concerts, all different configurations and sounds. He also has 2 Super Reverbs one with 10's and one with a 15" as well as a 15" Vibroverb. I usually use his Vibroverb on nights we practice at their home as he leaves that and his 68 Twin in the music room and the Vibroverb sounds better for the contemporary stuff we play.

[/quote']

Interesting. You evidently have seen the amp. I would be very surprised if they came out of Fullerton or Santa Ana that way but there could always have been a special order for a large store. I recall seeing one back in the '60s but that one had been modified by the guy who had it. He wanted a 40 watt 15" and the Vibroverb was no longer being made. I just checked and none of the guides online or in the reference books that I have show that option. I had all the catalogs back in the day (sure wish I still had them) and haunted the local stores that carried Fender throughout the '60s (gear junkie) and I never saw or heard of that option. Still, you have seen them and indicate that you had one so I guess I will chalk this up to an anomoly that will probably keep me up tonight before I forget about it.

Interesting.

The Vibroverb sounds like it would be a great amp. The twin is more powerful than I would care to work with at this stage of my life and deafness. I use a Deluxe Reverb (one of the last PtP ones) as well as a '63 Vibroverb RI and have a Music Man that has become a backup.

Don't know if they were rented or not but those are blackface Twins that BB and Clapton are sitting on in my Avatar' date=' one of my favorite pics ![/quote']

That would have been a great jam to have heard, with Elvin Bishop also there on Clapton's left.

• 5 months later...

Archived