Gibson Brands Forums

New LP

SteveC

I saw an Epiphone Les Paul Custom on ebay the other day, listed as a never played 2003 model & still had all the protective plastic on it, including the pickups. It was only going for about $150.00 with 3 bids & I felt sorry for the guy so I placed a bid for $250.00 figured what the heck, it was a nice guitar (Black wi/ Gold hardware) & I had been wanting one anyways...... Turns out in my idiocy I mis-keyed & bid $25,000.00! Needless to say, I now own a new Epi! Someone ran the bidding up to $390.00 but it coulda been a lot worse & I think I still did ok,, luckily

don't feel too bad..

I bid on a fender bass neck once. made the same mistake..

turned out the thing was a saga bass neck someone had messed up quite a bit.

neither ebay or the seller would let me out of my multi thousand dollar bid. no matter how obviously absurd it was.

this is greed, pure and simple.

any seller would know you made an error.. and the kind of person who'd hold you to a typo .. well for godsakes..

don't ever tell me that's a person of conscience..

as for ebay.. they ought to have a simple rule.. typos over a thousand dollars should be able to be rebid if they are contacted within say

six hours of the bid.

anyone who bids 25K for an epi obviously isn't intending to pay that much.

and I don't buy the idea, which I've heard put forth, that someone will overbid by that much just to be sure they get the item.

That would be purely stupid.

So... sorry about your mistake.. hope the guitar is nice! Not a bad price, really.. lucky for you!

Twang, compared to you I don't feel bad at all#-o In my case I got what I bid on. I just didn't intend to really buy it just yet. I really have no one to blame but myself. They do give you a chance to verify your bid, I just didn't look before I pushed the send key.

I don't buy much on ebay anymore. People are constantly running up the bids way too high and now it is really hard to find a bargin. I thought that was the idea at ebay, a venue for a seller and a place for a bargin for the buyer. Now its just another big business.

The rules for Bid retraction cover typos and you can retract bids placed with 12 hours or more left on the auction.....but if there are less than 12 hours to go(and that's all sniper bids!)....the seller must agree to a bid retraction. I think that's an idiotic rule.

yes. he refused to let me do it. even though I'd bid thousands on a used neck.

saying it was my mistake.. well.. true enough that I mistook a , for a . in the tiny print.. but more true the obvious absurdity of my bid.

there's taking responsibility for your actions, and there's basic human decency and understanding.

This guy got a few dollars more from me than the other top bidder. Would it have killed him. no.. was he just being greedy, yes.

was ebay fair, no.

distance makes the heart grow colder.

But getting back to the actual guitar that you bought here... I just got a new (2008) Ebony LP Custom and think it is an amazing guitar for the money. After a quick setup it plays like a dream. Or should I say "played" like a dream. I liked it so much that I sent it back in exchange for an Elitist Ebony LP Custom!! And a good thing I did too, from what I hear... Epi is discontinuing the Elitist line?!?!?! This would explain why the white models are unobtainable anywhere.

An ebony Custom with a rosewood fretboard... my dream guitar! I wonder how much the Gibson Custom Shop would charge me for this???? $5000-$6000+ for sure!

I hope you like your new custom. You got it in the best color too.

Curt

yes. he refused to let me do it. even though I'd bid thousands on a used neck.

saying it was my mistake.. well.. true enough that I mistook a ' date=' for a . in the tiny print.. but more true the obvious absurdity of my bid.

there's taking responsibility for your actions, and there's basic human decency and understanding.

This guy got a few dollars more from me than the other top bidder. Would it have killed him. no.. was he just being greedy, yes.

was ebay fair, no.

distance makes the heart grow colder.

[/quote']

I hope you gave appropriate feedback, NEGATIVE!

You could have refused to pay since your bid was obviously a mistake. Might have been worth the negative you surely would have gotten.

I don't think the sellers can leave negative feedback for buyers any more. I wish that were the case 8 years ago. A jerk sold me a wreck of a camera, having described it as "mint". When I received it and emailed him, his only response was "no returns. if you leave negative feedback, I will retaliate in kind."

So, am I to believe that someone would actually pay the errant amount when it was an obvious mistake? Surely, you didn't pay $25,000 for a used Epi, did you? I could understand if you topped the highest bid just to make the guy happy, but $25,000?

That would be well worth taking before the judge...

I over bid on a golf club once realised it the next day and asked the seller nicely to somehow stop the bid as I meant to bid on a different club.. despite the other club having sold in that time he allowed me to do it.. I don't like sellers that are greedy on stuff.. I see Gibson BR-9's for up to $1000 BIN and described as rare(most popular LapSteel gibson made late 40' & 50's) when it should probably go for no more then $500 for a real nice one

But getting back to the actual guitar that you bought here... I just got a new (2008) Ebony LP Custom and think it is an amazing guitar for the money. After a quick setup it plays like a dream. Or should I say "played" like a dream. I liked it so much that I sent it back in exchange for an Elitist Ebony LP Custom!! And a good thing I did too' date=' from what I hear... Epi is discontinuing the Elitist line?!?!?! This would explain why the white models are unobtainable anywhere.

An ebony Custom with a rosewood fretboard... my dream guitar! I wonder how much the Gibson Custom Shop would charge me for this???? $5000-$6000+ for sure!

I hope you like your new custom. You got it in the best color too.

Curt[/quote']

i email Gibson within the last 30 days and they said they had no plans of getting rid of the Elitist LPs anytime soon. and MF and GC will have the White Elitists LPs Aug 29

So' date=' am I to believe that someone would actually pay the errant amount when it was an obvious mistake? Surely, you didn't pay $25,000 for a used Epi, did you? I could understand if you topped the highest bid just to make the guy happy, but $25,000?

That would be well worth taking before the judge...

[/quote']

I paid $390 for the quitar & it is supposedly still new (never played). If the bid would have run up into the thousands I wouldn't haved paid........ Not that I am a welch or anything but I wouldn't willingly pay a Gibson price & get an Epi. I haven't recieved the guitar yet so I can only hope that it turns out to be a sweet deal.

Recieved the guitar yesterday. It was as stated, a new, unplayed Ebony LP custom. Serial # starts with U so I guess it is a Korean model. Has a small blemish in the back that was obviously there in the manufacturing process but you have to look for it to find it. This rascal needs a good setup & she will be sweet!

Archived